Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 05:09 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
They weren't that common a few years ago, but now I see them everywhere. I live outside Chattanooga.
Well that sucks I really didn't think they were that common.

I want to live south but I think if fire ants and/or alligators can survive it might be too far.

Modcut: Ask questions about Knoxville in the Knoxville forum.

Last edited by JMT; 07-22-2021 at 09:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 08:15 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,011,495 times
The one thing I found out about Fire ants. Chickens will scratch their nest, with an incentive. I had a couple of fire ant nest in my yard once. Neighbor had chickens that free ranged. After I had tried raking over those nests, to get the chickens interested, without success. I then thought maybe some cracked corn spread on the nest after I raked it down. They found the cracked corn, scratched all over the area of the ant nest, if they were bothered it never showed. After a couple weeks of this the ants were gone. The chickens are gone now and the ants are back, but hey worked then.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
The one thing I found out about Fire ants. Chickens will scratch their nest, with an incentive. I had a couple of fire ant nest in my yard once. Neighbor had chickens that free ranged. After I had tried raking over those nests, to get the chickens interested, without success. I then thought maybe some cracked corn spread on the nest after I raked it down. They found the cracked corn, scratched all over the area of the ant nest, if they were bothered it never showed. After a couple weeks of this the ants were gone. The chickens are gone now and the ants are back, but hey worked then.

That's super helpful information. Thanks

I guess sadly the range of the invasive fire ants keeps progressing farther and farther northward

Old 07-24-2021, 08:21 AM

841 posts, read 824,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
That's super helpful information. Thanks

I guess sadly the range of the invasive fire ants keeps progressing farther and farther northward
My family moved from Memphis to New Orleans in 1981, and that was the first time I had ever encountered fire ants (also armadillos, but they're not as much of a nuisance). Now the fire ants have migrated much farther north. I'm not sure what their northern limit may be. Same for the armadillos. LOL.

Are you allergic to their stings? If not, I don't think I would make fire ants a major factor in a relocation decision. Their mounds are generally easy to see and avoid.

Oh, and the Chattanooga area is stunning. I love the scenery, and if I was free to pick a new location in the Southeast, it would rank very highly for me because I like the mountains and their outdoor activities. I think it certainly has one of the top settings of any decent-sized city in the South.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:11 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
Alligators:
A few have been documented in south-western TN, as far east as the TN River near the AL Border, but not near Chattanooga itself. A few lone stragglers may eventually reach Chattanooga proper, but I don't see any breeding populations developing within the next few decades.

Fire Ants:
I grew up in central Mississippi. Fire ants are a constant, something that often affects daily activities. They can build rather large mounds that can kill grass and affect landscaping. If you really desired to keep them off your property, putting out ant poison is a weekly chore at least. My mom is paranoid about losing their pond due to fire ants on the dam (she heard a rumor that's why another local pond was lost... almost certain that isn't true, but whatever, pick your battles) so she's out there every few days sprinkling anything that looks like a starter mound.

Fire ants do exist around Chattanooga, but they are infrequent enough that they are hardly a daily nuisance. I can't remember the last time I had to do something about a bed in my yard.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Einnseanair View Post
Alligators:
A few have been documented in south-western TN, as far east as the TN River near the AL Border, but not near Chattanooga itself. A few lone stragglers may eventually reach Chattanooga proper, but I don't see any breeding populations developing within the next few decades.

Fire Ants:
I grew up in central Mississippi. Fire ants are a constant, something that often affects daily activities. They can build rather large mounds that can kill grass and affect landscaping. If you really desired to keep them off your property, putting out ant poison is a weekly chore at least. My mom is paranoid about losing their pond due to fire ants on the dam (she heard a rumor that's why another local pond was lost... almost certain that isn't true, but whatever, pick your battles) so she's out there every few days sprinkling anything that looks like a starter mound.

Fire ants do exist around Chattanooga, but they are infrequent enough that they are hardly a daily nuisance. I can't remember the last time I had to do something about a bed in my yard.

Awesome post. Thanks. That's very helpful

Old 04-20-2023, 06:33 AM

114 posts, read 618,331 times
I live in Atlanta, and fire ants are pretty common, so I'm sure it's not that different in Chattanooga. I don't find them too hard to control on my property, since the mounds are pretty obvious. You can easily kill them with the little fire ant granules, or you can pour boiling water on the mound. It's good to just make a check part of your lawn care routine.

Old 04-21-2023, 11:52 AM

703 posts, read 934,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Einnseanair View Post
Alligators:
In the 1970's, Alligators were released further down the TN River on Redstone Arsenal as part of a project to preserve the species. They have migrated out from there and it wouldn't be surprising to see some make their way to Chattanooga.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga