Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2023, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,158 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
Thanks your your time, first and foremost. And I truly mean that-I know time us hard to come by.
With that said, let me try to be concise: we are in our 30s. She's a help desk IT professional, and I'm an IT jack of all trades (although my obsession/specialty us netwotking/python development/administration) but I'll spend hours upon hours learning new stuff because I'm passionate about tech.

That's for the job aspect of this post. We looked around on the internet and have a general idea of what's available - I really do find it necessary to get on the ground and talk to actual people though for the more valuable tidbits of knowledge. What would you say is the outlook for people like my wife and I?

We currently reside in Greenville, NC. there’s nothing for us there now that mom and dad have passed (RIP- She was “AnninOriental” on here, she introduced me to this great resource) so after taking care of them the past 3 years, my wife and I just want to find ourselves again in a situation where we are happy, to be frank. (OK, content is a better word)

Enter Chattanooga: Due to my tech background of 25 years, I no started learning about Chattanooga 2018 or so. I read about the amazing story of how the utility company successfully fought big data and won the case. Were able to install their own fiber infrastructure, and I think that is just brilliant the way that was executed. I do not know the general public’s thoughts on EPB as a company however, although it seems the company has really gone to bat with the quantum infrastructure they're building and the power grid that I understand government agencies are even keen on studying for a better power grid, tomorrow, and that list goes on.

So, forward - thinking. That's what I think of when I think of the city of Chattanooga (Although that depends on your perspective). That's very important to my wife and I.

We are in Chattanooga right now at the Read House. What a nice facility. We are looking at places to rent that are 1 bedroom, room for a small office, or a second bedroom, and more than one bath is not required. If it comes down to it, we'll take turns (LOL) we prefer a home but nice apartment is fine.

We come in peace. I understand the dynamics of your lovely city have been under threat, and have caused many of you to face increased rent and hardships. For that, I am truly empathetic. It gives me a heavy heart to know that right now, I am essentially adding to that. But I will do everything in my power to lighten the impact and we’d like to be a valuable asset to your community and way of doing things. I truly mean that. Thank you for all being so kind to us during our visit, despite the changes that many of you have faced. That speaks volumes for each of you.

I said I’d be concise, but it’s hard to minimize some sentiments. Sorry for blowing by concise 2 paragraphs back. As I said: job prospects from a natives perspective, especially if you work in IT -anything-, what is the wisdom you would pay on to us? What would you tell a loved one or a close friend, what are your honest thoughts here? Anything over 40k or so is more than we need if we are both working. We’re modest, and no children. Pay will come naturally if the employers views are in line with ours (hard work=advancement= more pay)

And then of course living arrangements. We have good credit (it fluctuates of course but we are obsessed with making payments on time or early. Clean backgrounds. We are very shy and humble people, quiet, and the ideal tenants. Our budget is no more than 1500, month, we don’t want to have to do yard work until we own home, and we’d prefer something in the 1250-1300 max range. Year lease, paid up front, deposits and all. It’s a legally binding document, iron-clad almost, might as well pay it and get that part over with.

If you have any friends in real estate or property management or if you’re just looking for the kind of people we are (we don’t drink - rarely) nor smoke, and of course, no drugs go in our bodies unless it’s from a medical professional who “knows better”, please, PM or reply to my post. We’d love to meet some new friends. Oh, we gave 1 cat that must be on a lap at all times, and demands belly rubs for hours. She oddly insists and does not bite like most would, if you get near that belly! She's an AMAZING spirit. Truly a joy, she goes where we go.

Even if you have a conversion garage, that would be acceptable. We are looking to stay somewhere 6 months to a year here , continue to save as much money as possible, and only then, will we’re know if we want to put a down payment on a home. We could do this now, but I feel it’s be irresponsible to make such a commitment without trialing the area.

If you have any suggestions, tips, warnings, that would be so appreciative. If you know the extent of which EPB extends it’s fiber network, which I’m going to their offices now and hopefully that goes well, but if not, any insight on that and different area that still connects to their network, would be great..

Thank you all so very much. I am so so sorry you had to read all that if you made it this far.

Your friend,
Gabriel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2023, 05:25 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
I'm not in Chattanooga, but I'm a landlord and I'm leery of someone offering to pay all the rent up front. Other landlords may differ. Best advice is at least one of you secure work before you arrive. Seems you are both suited to remote work, that might help.

You are long winded and that's fine for C-D but when I encounter renters who are overenthusiastic, I wonder what they are hiding. But say a little something so the LL knows you read the ad.

Use this time to scope out locations you like.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:57 AM

704 posts, read 935,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I'm not in Chattanooga, but I'm a landlord and I'm leery of someone offering to pay all the rent up front. Other landlords may differ. Best advice is at least one of you secure work before you arrive. Seems you are both suited to remote work, that might help.

You are long winded and that's fine for C-D but when I encounter renters who are overenthusiastic, I wonder what they are hiding. But say a little something so the LL knows you read the ad.

Use this time to scope out locations you like.
The way their post read it made me think that they may be using a translator from another language.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:16 AM

702 posts, read 288,827 times
It's hard to figure out what the OP is asking for - a job reference, a rental reference, or technical information about the fiber optic network in Chattanooga? Maybe just an introduction which is OK. But lots of information but not the relevant ones. I mean I appreciate you taking a paragraph to tell us about your cat, but how much do you have saved for a move?

OP you can go through this forum and get many ideas about Chattanooga as a first step, then I would recommend you visit the town for a few days. But you need a job set up before your consider moving here, that is your first priority, unless you have considerable savings or you plan to work remote for your current employer.

Old 07-14-2023, 04:25 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
It seems they would like someone to rent them a garage apartment that allows cats on a short term lease. Perhaps they want to give the impression of a well spoken potential neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
View detailed profiles of: