Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 07:20 PM

31 posts, read 134,707 times

Advertisements

I live in tampa currently and own property in athens.......What were you thinking?.......if you want diversity(and be the white minority) get back down to tampa and be bi lingual. I really cant believe your situation or your post. Most people in tampa are not from fl.....where are you from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 08:13 PM

286 posts, read 1,085,861 times
Default Why didn't you move to east brainerd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by helix139 View Post
we moved from tampa in june and settled on signal mountain because of the great schools. My wife got a dream job teaching for a local college. My son had a hard time adjusting and still hasn't because there isn't much of anything to do outside. There are no sidewalks on signal or anywhere else for that matter and so both my 8 and 5 year old couldn't ride their bikes safely. The driveways are soo steep that I couldn't keep my boat at the house. So i paid alotta money for dry storage. The mall is 20 miles away.
I live 5 min from the mall in the east brainerd area, and our subdivision has sidewalks, gas street lamps, and plenty of families with children, and flat land. Maybe you thought it would be fanciful to live on a mountain since you came from a beach. Visit Belleau Woods subdivision. Homes are affordable between $200K and $300K. And Westview Elementary is tied with 4 other schools as being the top in Chattanooga public. I foresee it will become the top 2 or 3 in a short time. Our neighborhood is very diverse. We have residents that are African American, Indian, Middle Eastern, Chinese, Korean, Cambodian. I would guess that 70% - 80% are white. We have business owners, medical doctors, dentists, lawyers, accountants, bankers, sales professionals, and school teachers in our neighborhood as well. The community is also made of retired senior citizens, childfree couples, young professionals, and families. This neighborhood is also pretty fit as many residents take advantage of the sidewalks and streets jogging, walking pets, or walking with friends. We also have community activites. Recently, we had a Halloween parade for the children and a winter wine party for adults.

Our neighborhood is close to shopping and restaurants (Hamilton Place). We're near a Publix, Bi-Lo, Target, and Wal-mart. This place is convenient if you enjoy shopping districts versus quiet countryside.

I wonder how much time you spent deciding on an area before you moved here.

Last edited by financelife; 12-04-2008 at 08:23 PM..

Old 12-05-2008, 11:58 AM

184 posts, read 676,253 times
THIS POST SHOULD REALLY BE TITLED: Why I didn't dig Signal Mountain...

I find that this post is really about how much you hate a town near chattanooga. I know signal mountain is only 20 minutes away but it really is pretty out of sight out of mind & in my opinion has little in common with chattanooga. I live IN Chattanooga & I just want folks to know that here in the chattanooga city limits it is very diverse. It's not a bunch of huge unfit smokers looking like clones of eachother like helix139 would lead you to believe. There are sidewalks on every street from the southside to the northshore & on & on. My husband bikes to work & the neighborhood kids ride safely on the sidewalks. There is no need to drive a million miles if you live in chattanooga. I find this city to be very pedestrian friendly. Roads & driveways IN chattanooga are generally straight, semi flat, slight hills, or slight curves. If it is not hot & sunny enough for you than you should certainly move back to florida. I mean it gets pretty dang hot & sunny here. Fall is long & absolutely beautiful/colorful. Winter is short so we can all start jogging outside soon enough. Oh & the water pressure is totally great IF you actually live in chattanooga.

Last edited by etta; 12-05-2008 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: spelling,eeeK!

Old 12-06-2008, 09:39 AM

111 posts, read 598,795 times
Like I said in my post, "don't take it personally" maybe it's good I'm leaving, so many people had their opportunity to be a smart a&@ on this board! We should be able to agree to disagree; no place is perfect, but I see what type folks I'm leaving behind here! I say Whoo-hoo!

Old 12-06-2008, 10:36 AM

184 posts, read 676,253 times
I agree....that the town of signal mountain is lame.

It is just my opinion but Hey, I dig Chattanooga & of course it is totally fine if you don't. I'm just tryin to say that Chattanooga isn't all winding roads, steep driveways, bad water pressure, difficult terrain for jogging & over abundance of smokers/obesity. My regular life in noog has been filled with diversity, art, interesting events, an awesome river, coffee shops, yoga classes, walking & biking on sidewalks, new locally owned restaurants opening up, nearby hiking, I mean I can't help but think it is rather nice. Sorry about the winter rain...it's no portland oregon but yes, it has been raining a lot this winter. I wish you tons of luck in your next destination.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:41 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,012,442 times
A little thin-skinned aren't you? I didn't take anyone's post as being "smart a&@", as you put it. They may have asked some questions that were a little tongue-in-cheek. Maybe someone that appreciates your current house and location will give you a call. But just in case, point out that there are no sidewalks, the driveway is so steep and the road has 31 curves. Seriously, good luck in your search.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:48 PM

137 posts, read 430,851 times
I agree; this post seems to be mostly a rant about Signal Mountain, not Chattanooga as a whole. I don't live on Signal Mountain, and all I know about it is that there's a cool UFO house on the way up, a super awesome playground called the Pumpkin Patch, Signal Point and a trailhead for the system of trails around the Tennessee River Gorge, and a Wal-Mart at it's base. So I got pretty much no clue about living there.

Besides that, you seem to complain mostly about general Southern demographics: a high rate of obesity, etc. And sure, that's not great, but it's not like it really infringes on you personally, either. I spend about a month out of every year in Ft. Lauderdale, and though people are skinnier down there and don't believe dinosaurs and cavemen coincided, they generally aren't as nice. So there's pros and cons.

The only thing I really take issue with is this:

Quote:
Been there done that musums, shops downtown...a great place to spend an afternoon, but not live there.
Quite honestly, Chattanooga is one of the nicest cities in the region. (At least the downtown Chattanooga part.) The new riverfront is a wonderful place to walk around, what with North Shore, the bluffs, Ross's Landing, and the riverwalk, as well as many boutiques and great coffee shops. There are many great attractions like the Tennessee Aquarium, Hunter Museum of Art (largest collection of American Art in the South), and Chattanooga Zoo, as well as many very important historic sites like the national battlefields and Audubon Acres. You can do any outdoor sport you like in Chattanooga, and it's one of the most eco-friendly travel spots in the US; there are tons of places of great natural beauty. Relocate America recently named it the third best city in the US to live.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:34 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Like I said in my post, "don't take it personally" maybe it's good I'm leaving, so many people had their opportunity to be a smart a&@ on this board! We should be able to agree to disagree; no place is perfect, but I see what type folks I'm leaving behind here! I say Whoo-hoo!
I don't think anyone has taken it personally, and I certainly didn't see anyone being a "smart a&@". If anything, they asked some good questions, particularly why on earth didn't you do your research before moving to the Chattanooga area? Every single thing you complained about is something that could've easily been investigated before you ever moved.

Your original post should be a good warning to those who don't do their homework before moving to a new area.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:11 AM

600 posts, read 2,260,155 times
Quote:
And a Bon Voyage for you too. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:19 PM

5 posts, read 15,086 times
As we can see here, this is an example of, I'll only read what I want to read and take in all the negative and see it as you being a smartypants. So, why not answer the questions about the fact that you are ranting about something you did very little research on. So anyway, have a safe trip back down to FL....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga