Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:11 AM

52 posts, read 182,476 times

Advertisements

Thus far I'd say in TN Knoxville is the best place for the music junkie.

Don't believe me? Check out www.knoxvilletickets.com

They have tons of well known headliners and tons of bars to catch local bands...

in fact in March 10 Years is playing the Valarium for 16 bucks a ticket and they also have another band opening for them! It's a standing room only venue though so be aware of that.

A few summers back I got tickets to watch Nickelback, Hinder, Hoobastank, and Chevelle at Thompson Boiling Arena for 47 bucks!!!

Anyway I've been to Nashville a few times and if not for the fact the Titans play there and I got to see comedian Eddie Izzard there I could honestly careless about the place. The traffic is horrific!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 09:39 AM

243 posts, read 693,111 times
Knoxville is becoming a great place to see music. A lot of the times, acts will skip Nashville and play in Knoxville.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:29 PM

184 posts, read 676,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkGuy View Post
Since you've lived there, you are more of an authority than I am, so I'd listen to you.

I do have some other points though:
If you love music, Nashville is WAY better than Chattanooga.
You will (almost) NEVER see any national acts in Chattanooga unless they play that big stadium place (can't remember the name) near UTC, and it seems to always be some metal band (Godsmack-type metal) or country.
Also, if you're in a local band, good luck with playing anywhere if you play originals.
Good(in my opinion) local bands play often at JJs Bohemia. There is music every night there. Quite a few good bands from Athens, GA played there recently. The legendary Slits played there last year!!!!!!(gosh, I wish I had already moved here in time to see them). I've heard that Of Montreal & Cat Power played here at Lamar's or are those considered big names(eh, i don't know). I'm not really into big national acts but I do think Chattanooga is a very supportive community for local bands.

This sight can be very helpful for finding out about local bands & shows/venues to play at if you're in a local band:
chattarock.com - chattanooga, tn music news and happenings! (http://www.chattarock.com/index-venues.php - broken link)

P.S. tridad- Didn't Alison krauss played in that show with Robert Plant?? & I know tons of folks that adore her music

Old 02-24-2009, 06:08 PM

103 posts, read 298,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etta View Post
Good(in my opinion) local bands play often at JJs Bohemia. There is music every night there. Quite a few good bands from Athens, GA played there recently. The legendary Slits played there last year!!!!!!(gosh, I wish I had already moved here in time to see them). I've heard that Of Montreal & Cat Power played here at Lamar's or are those considered big names(eh, i don't know). I'm not really into big national acts but I do think Chattanooga is a very supportive community for local bands.

This sight can be very helpful for finding out about local bands & shows/venues to play at if you're in a local band:
chattarock.com - chattanooga, tn music news and happenings! (http://www.chattarock.com/index-venues.php - broken link)

P.S. tridad- Didn't Alison krauss played in that show with Robert Plant?? & I know tons of folks that adore her music
I believe JJ Boehmia's has some pay to play type deal if you're a local band (it was somewhat new when I left so maybe it isn't anymore).

Isn't Lamar's just a place you rent out?

Rhythm & Brews - unless you're a cover band, don't bother trying to play here

Fathom - unless you're emo or screamo, you probably won't even want to play here...otherwise, it's hard to get a hold of the booking guy.

The Local (I'm assuming it's still around) - was cool when it was on MLK Blvd.

Ziggy's - decent place if you're a metal band. If not, good luck getting anyone to come see you.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:39 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,688,341 times
etta - yep

Old 02-25-2009, 06:38 AM

243 posts, read 693,111 times
Rhythm and Brews doesn't bring in only cover acts. They've had Days of the New, Black Stone Cherry, Gov't Mule, Old Crowe Medicine Show, etc. When the Bay closed, this place got a lot of "bigger acts." I don't think it was meant for as a "local performance" place.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:20 PM

184 posts, read 676,848 times
Default just more of my opinions on music venues

There is no pay to play at jjs bohemia anymore...so don't worry bands! (never heard of that). There is music just about every night of the week!

Lamar's is a bar/soul food restaurant/hotel/venue that is rented out for shows & parties. They draw a big crowd & It is easy to pay the bands, pay the bar & even have money left over! It is decrepit in the best way. Full of charm! Has velvet wall paper & they give you popcorn with your beverages. Known for the strongest drinks in town! Not for everyone but I'm surely fan.

I'd go to Rhythym & Brews if a band I like plays there. Haven't tried the place out yet.

I have no intentions of going to Fathom...it's one of those religious type places for shows.

Never went to the Local...it's closed. I prefer 21+ bars personally

Ziggy's is pretty gross(just in my opinion) & has a terrible beer selection. Any type band can play there. The bands just need to go ask. Not my fave place but local bands I like have played there. I just can't drink the pabst blue ribbon!

Can I add that Barking Legs rarely has shows but is a neat place!

Now how did this thread get hijacked into being a music thread!?!

Old 02-25-2009, 03:40 PM

103 posts, read 298,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindsolitude View Post
Rhythm and Brews doesn't bring in only cover acts. They've had Days of the New, Black Stone Cherry, Gov't Mule, Old Crowe Medicine Show, etc. When the Bay closed, this place got a lot of "bigger acts." I don't think it was meant for as a "local performance" place.
My point was just if you're in a local band, and you don't play covers, you won't get booked there.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:52 AM

6 posts, read 8,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helix139 View Post
we moved from tampa in june and settled on signal mountain because of the great schools. My wife got a dream job teaching for a local college. My son had a hard time adjusting and still hasn't because there isn't much of anything to do outside. There are no sidewalks on signal or anywhere else for that matter and so both my 8 and 5 year old couldn't ride their bikes safely. The driveways are soo steep that I couldn't keep my boat at the house. So i paid alotta money for dry storage. The mall is 20 miles away. There are 31 sharp turns off and on signal mountain. The pay is very bad here for r.n.s and college instructors, yet we thought that housing was gonna be very affordable. If you want a bad school district they are cheap! We found an awesome house down in hixson with flat ground, good schools, sidewalks, and community pool for 350,000 but taxes were waay high...but still you've gotta look at gray skies and rain all winter! People don't seem to mind driving 100 miles or more to go anywhere and to drive to work everyday!
Morbid obesity is the norm here! Holy smoke, I've never seen so many HUGE people. And my guess is it has to do with "too cold to run, to wet to be outside, and the hills hurt my knees!" Smokers! Now that the businesses are in the 21st century they don't allow smokers in the restaurants, but they do allow the smokers to barricade the entrances so you have to duck and cover through the cancer clouds everytime you enter.
More? No water pressure on signal. Everyone is too wound up in church, they thank god for everything...take credit for something!
No diversity. The other day I watched my son come out of thrasher and was struck by the uniformity.
Been there done that musums, shops downtown...a great place to spend an afternoon, but not live there.
Don't take it personally...I need hot weather, water, sun, shopping and an hodgepodge of people around me.
I retired to Hixson 15 years ago from Long Island, NY, My son works in Calhoun,GA so I would house hunt areas every time we visited for three years. Found the area we wanted and viewed over 25 homes before deciding the one for us. My question to you is why Signal Mtn? If you visited the area you would have known the first day you were not happy with the "W Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga