Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:31 AM

52 posts, read 182,299 times

Advertisements

I think the OP was just trying to get a feel for the city and what can be bad about it.

PunkGuy obviously had a poor experience with Chattanooga, but I think you came off giving negatives more about the people of the city rather than the city itself and thus have stemed a bit of fire back from Chattanoogians.

I can go to places and dislike people too, but sometimes there's really no reason to ruffle feathers when asked what I thought about the -city- by answering with what I thought of the -people-

Old 02-24-2009, 06:20 PM

103 posts, read 297,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hishiad View Post
I think the OP was just trying to get a feel for the city and what can be bad about it.

PunkGuy obviously had a poor experience with Chattanooga, but I think you came off giving negatives more about the people of the city rather than the city itself and thus have stemed a bit of fire back from Chattanoogians.

I can go to places and dislike people too, but sometimes there's really no reason to ruffle feathers when asked what I thought about the -city- by answering with what I thought of the -people-
You could say I did have a poor experience in Chattanooga...
aren't the people a MAJOR component of a town/city?

if you don't like most of the people, how are you going to enjoy the city?

if you have a horrible boss that's constantly on you about something, and your co-workers backstab you, are you going to say your job is great, or it's just the people?

Old 02-24-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
Must be, since we have a humidity gauge in our shop and check it regularly as it impacts our work.
You must be in the actual city of L.A. within the buildings to have humidity...
I think when people think of CA, it's not the city, but the coast.

Like I've said before, I've lived in San Diego (not the city), San Fernado Valley (no big city), and Orange County (no big city) and there was no humidity.
This was on & off between 1987 - 2002.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:25 PM

137 posts, read 431,225 times
So basically amounts to, "If you are prejudiced against fat people and pregnant teens, Chattanooga is a bad place to live." I think it is unwise to judge an entire society given what a complex issue it is; better to simply say that the culture did not suit you personally and explain what you prefer and how your experience did not meet that standard rather than say that the culture is objectively poor.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etta View Post
Hey punkguy, No diversity is just so untrue! I'm curious what area/neighborhood of the town did you live & work in?

To be fair we live in highland park near downtown & my hubby to be works in the north shore area. We spend most of our time around our neighborhood, southside(near the choo choo), downtown, near UTC, sometimes St. Elmo & around the Northshore. Just to give some perspective I know absolutely zilch about brainerd, hixson or ringold so they may be overrun with overweight conservative rednecks for all I know!
I lived near USXpress (E. Brainerd) for a year, and then moved to Ringgold, GA right across the border (Windstone). I almost never saw anyone of color.
(let me correct that. We had one african-american family in our ENTIRE community)
I think I've said this before that some friends came to visit from San Diego and one was Vietnamese, and she said, "there are no Asians here!"

I think I could count the number of Asians on one hand I've seen in 5 years.

Obviously living downtown near the Choo-Choo you're going to see african-americans as that is where they are concentrated. Go anywhere outside of that area (into the suburbs) and you will not hardly see any.

I will say that the North Shore Area was cool, and if I stayed there I would've live there. You have that nice Greenlife right there which I would swing by at lunch time.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCuzco View Post
So basically amounts to, "If you are prejudiced against fat people and pregnant teens, Chattanooga is a bad place to live." I think it is unwise to judge an entire society given what a complex issue it is; better to simply say that the culture did not suit you personally and explain what you prefer and how your experience did not meet that standard rather than say that the culture is objectively poor.
Ok, the "culture" did not suit me.

People who don't care about their health, or people that have children when they can't support them tells me alot about a place.
I guess that's just me though.

(I've lived all across the country and I've never seen as many underage pregnant girls as I have living in Chattanooga.)

Old 02-24-2009, 08:44 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkGuy View Post
You must be in the actual city of L.A. within the buildings to have humidity...
I think when people think of CA, it's not the city, but the coast.

Like I've said before, I've lived in San Diego (not the city), San Fernado Valley (no big city), and Orange County (no big city) and there was no humidity.
This was on & off between 1987 - 2002.
Actually I am in Riverside County and the humidity gauge is in our warehouse that is open to the weather as we have two large roll up doors open most of the time. Humidity is very low compared to any other place short of the desert.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:14 AM

243 posts, read 692,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkGuy View Post

(I've lived all across the country and I've never seen as many underage pregnant girls as I have living in Chattanooga.)
How do you know they are underage? Did you ask them? I have plenty of friends who look a lot younger than they actually are. They're 24 and often get mistaken for a lot younger. It happens.

And I lived in Chattanooga for 20 years, in E. Brainerd, and never saw this massive amount of pregnant teens you seemed to have run into. In fact the only place I ever saw this was at Hamilton Place Mall, which doesn't cater to just Chattanooga residents. When I attended public schools, we had plenty of diversity. It wasn't until I went to a private high school that I saw that diversity go away. Also, while I'm not trying to stereotype, if you expected to see diversity in WINDSTONE- you're crazy. It's a golf neighborhood! The vast majority are upper middle class to upper class caucasian residents. Maybe you should have researched your neighborhoods better before you moved? Non-gated neighborhoods like Quail Run, Oak Shadows, and other "older" subdivisions have a little more diversity. The area you chose to live in, however, has a large caucasian % (in a 10 mile radius its 74.2%). http://www.chattanooga-chamber.com/P...Place%2008.pdf. Again, some research could have told you that. It took me about 3 minutes to find that link. I don't think the lack of diversity is a matter of other races not being welcomed or accepted here. I think, in the case you mentioned about not seeing a lot of Asians, it is that they don't want to move here. If their family isn't here, what would be the point? Why come to a small city than a large city like Atlanta. There isn't an incentive.

As for the overweight people, well, you may have a point. TN as a whole is battling an obesity problem (and the entire country is as well). However, if you spent time outside (in the parks and what not) you would see a lot of people who were not overweight. I always spent my time spring-fall walking around downtown, in the parks, etc. And just because someone is overweight doesn't mean they aren't great people. Did you even try to get to know some of them or did you just say "well, he's a fat a**, i'm not going to get to know him...?"

A city has a vast number of cultures, ideologies, morals, etc. To me, what you saw was only a portion of Chattanooga. It certainly isn't everything. But to each his own, I guess. If you wanted a quick overview of the city before you moved, you could have gone here: http://state.tn.us/tniph/countyprofiles_pdf/CountyProfilesPart2_F_H.pdf (broken link)

I hope you like where you currently live, Punkguy. Sorry chattanooga didn't work for you.

Last edited by blindsolitude; 02-25-2009 at 07:28 AM..

Old 02-25-2009, 07:33 AM

243 posts, read 692,726 times
Where in CO do you live, PunkGuy? I have a friend who used to live across the street from me that lives in the Boulder area and LOVES it.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindsolitude View Post
Where in CO do you live, PunkGuy? I have a friend who used to live across the street from me that lives in the Boulder area and LOVES it.
I live 15 minutes outside of Boulder...
It's great...right now it's 65 and sunny, and you can see the snow-capped mountains on the horizon.

We came out here in October and it was about 70
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga