Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 04:10 PM

103 posts, read 298,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindsolitude View Post
How do you know they are underage? Did you ask them? I have plenty of friends who look a lot younger than they actually are. They're 24 and often get mistaken for a lot younger. It happens.

And I lived in Chattanooga for 20 years, in E. Brainerd, and never saw this massive amount of pregnant teens you seemed to have run into. In fact the only place I ever saw this was at Hamilton Place Mall, which doesn't cater to just Chattanooga residents. When I attended public schools, we had plenty of diversity. It wasn't until I went to a private high school that I saw that diversity go away. Also, while I'm not trying to stereotype, if you expected to see diversity in WINDSTONE- you're crazy. It's a golf neighborhood! The vast majority are upper middle class to upper class caucasian residents. Maybe you should have researched your neighborhoods better before you moved? Non-gated neighborhoods like Quail Run, Oak Shadows, and other "older" subdivisions have a little more diversity. The area you chose to live in, however, has a large caucasian % (in a 10 mile radius its 74.2%). http://www.chattanooga-chamber.com/P...Place%2008.pdf. Again, some research could have told you that. It took me about 3 minutes to find that link. I don't think the lack of diversity is a matter of other races not being welcomed or accepted here. I think, in the case you mentioned about not seeing a lot of Asians, it is that they don't want to move here. If their family isn't here, what would be the point? Why come to a small city than a large city like Atlanta. There isn't an incentive.

As for the overweight people, well, you may have a point. TN as a whole is battling an obesity problem (and the entire country is as well). However, if you spent time outside (in the parks and what not) you would see a lot of people who were not overweight. I always spent my time spring-fall walking around downtown, in the parks, etc. And just because someone is overweight doesn't mean they aren't great people. Did you even try to get to know some of them or did you just say "well, he's a fat a**, i'm not going to get to know him...?"

A city has a vast number of cultures, ideologies, morals, etc. To me, what you saw was only a portion of Chattanooga. It certainly isn't everything. But to each his own, I guess. If you wanted a quick overview of the city before you moved, you could have gone here: http://state.tn.us/tniph/countyprofiles_pdf/CountyProfilesPart2_F_H.pdf (broken link)

I hope you like where you currently live, Punkguy. Sorry chattanooga didn't work for you.
Quote:
How do you know they are underage? Did you ask them? I have plenty of friends who look a lot younger than they actually are. They're 24 and often get mistaken for a lot younger. It happens.

And I lived in Chattanooga for 20 years, in E. Brainerd, and never saw this massive amount of pregnant teens you seemed to have run into
I guess it's not my imagination about the pregnant teenage girls:

"Teen pregnancies cost Tennessee taxpayers $181 million each year and $9.1 billion nationally. The United States has the highest rates of teen pregnancy and births in the industrialized world. Tennessee ranks 10th in the nation for births to teens ages 15-17."

"Hamilton County has one of the highest rankings in Tennessee for teen pregnancy..."

"According to the National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, only 41 percent of teens who begin their families before the age of 18, ever earn a high-school diploma. In addition, 80 percent of teenage mothers become dependent on welfare for life."

"DALTON, Ga. — Fifty-two teenage mothers have walked the halls this year at Dalton High School.
In Northwest Georgia, youth advocates say, teen pregnancy has reached epidemic proportions and has robbed girls of childhood."

Quote:
I don't think the lack of diversity is a matter of other races not being welcomed or accepted here
There is a reason why the south has a stereotype of being racist. My wife has experienced it firsthand with co-workers/students. What's even worse is that the people saying these things, think nothing of calling an african-american the 'n' word or an ape/monkey.
(I'm not implying you, or everyone in the south is a racist, but I would gather a good number are)

Quote:
if you spent time outside (in the parks and what not) you would see a lot of people who were not overweight. I always spent my time spring-fall walking around downtown, in the parks, etc. And just because someone is overweight doesn't mean they aren't great people. Did you even try to get to know some of them or did you just say "well, he's a fat a**, i'm not going to get to know him...?"
one of the main reasons (besides my wife's schooling) that we moved to Chattanooga was the outdoor stuff.
We went camping/hiking/whitewater rafting, etc...
I remember a specific example that dumbfounded me, was when we went hiking (can't remember where exactly) and you come to some nice view.
Sitting there looking out was an enormous woman, puffing away on a cigarette. Nothing like smoking in the beautiful outdoors!

When did I say overweight people are horrible people?
I just said that they don't take care of themselves.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:59 PM

184 posts, read 676,762 times
Default my pet peeve is people who complain about living in chatty when they don't even live there!!! arg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkGuy View Post
I lived near USXpress (E. Brainerd) for a year, and then moved to Ringgold, GA right across the border (Windstone). I almost never saw anyone of color.
(let me correct that. We had one african-american family in our ENTIRE community)
I think I've said this before that some friends came to visit from San Diego and one was Vietnamese, and she said, "there are no Asians here!"

I think I could count the number of Asians on one hand I've seen in 5 years.

Obviously living downtown near the Choo-Choo you're going to see african-americans as that is where they are concentrated. Go anywhere outside of that area (into the suburbs) and you will not hardly see any.

I will say that the North Shore Area was cool, and if I stayed there I would've live there. You have that nice Greenlife right there which I would swing by at lunch time.
In another thread you said you lived in Chattanooga TN for 5 years. Now your sayin you lived in Chatty for one year & Georgia the other 4? RINGGOLD GEORGIA IS NOT CHATTANOOGA WTF! Sorry to go caps on ya'll but it's just my geographical opinion.

I've never been to ringgold ga but if all the things you say a complain about Chatty are actually more about Ringgold GA then it sounds sound lame. Google maps shows me that Windstone Ringgold is a 30 minute drive from the center of Chattanooga so what does it have to do with this town!?! We are in the same region, yes. Same city, no. Not even in the same state

I'm sure your one year of living here really was so lame that you have to come over to the chattanooga forum and complain constantly about it practically everywhere I look! I'm sure the culture out east brainerd is zilch so now I really see where your coming from. Sounds like perhaps you worked or went to school in chattytown? Then I maybe give you a tad more cred. but please why must you be so devoted to hanging out over here dissin the hell out of Chatty all day long. WE GET IT ALREADY... Ya didn't like the region!

For those of you not wanting to live in a neighborhood devoid of diversity & full of unfit smokers & teen mums like punkguys ex neighborhood I suggest you not live in Ga. Haha! Just kidding, I love a lot of Georgian cities(Atlanta, Savannah & Atlanta to name a few). (Please no georgians take offense. Just a lil sarcasm.)

Not to keep on about this but coincidentally my bf here is asian(chinese). I've seen way more than five asians in 5 months just by eating at particular delicious restaurants. Also, There are plenty of white folks(artists, yuppies & all types really) living in the southside around the choochoo & opening nifty businesses I might add. Or not to mention the very obvious hispanic population. Oh & the floridian population is also quite high. I've met many very nice floridians recently! So should we all visit the suburbs to witness an apparent lack of diversity? I have no idea what I could possibley need from a suburb so I doubt I will see this. I just give my opinions & perspectives representing the particular areas I live & spend time in which are admittedly a fairly small radius.

& Yes, the Northshore is rad!

Old 02-26-2009, 06:53 AM

243 posts, read 692,984 times
Yes. . .Tennessee ranks #10. . .not hamilton county. And Dalton, GA. . .is Georgia. Not Chattanooga or Tennessee.

And could you cite your source for the statement about Hamilton County? Because on the state link I had, which was just f-h, Hamilton County had a teen birth rate of 49.4 per thousand, which is less than the state average of 50.5. On that page alone, only Humphreys, Houston, Hancock, Franklin, and Fayette had an equal or lower rate. It also states the rank and Hamilton was 47 out of 95 counties.

It kills me when I see someone hiking and then stop to take a smoke break. Really? What REALLY kills me is when they just throw the butt on the ground and keep going. I've seen that everywhere I've been though...on the beach, in the woods, etc. I guess people will do what they want to do.

As for the overweight issue, you stated that you didn't like the people. I forget which post # it was, but it was stated. And only basing conclusions of of what has been posted, you had an issue with the overweight people and stated later that you didn't like the people (i believe it was said "what's the point of staying in a city wheny ou don't like the people!" or something like that) so it made it appear that you don't like overweight people.

And you're going to have racist people everywhere. The only people I've been around that have used the n word have been the older generation and african american teens. But again, I'm 23 and I think the younger generation is much more tolerant and accepting of diversity than the older.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etta View Post
In another thread you said you lived in Chattanooga TN for 5 years. Now your sayin you lived in Chatty for one year & Georgia the other 4? RINGGOLD GEORGIA IS NOT CHATTANOOGA WTF! Sorry to go caps on ya'll but it's just my geographical opinion.

I've never been to ringgold ga but if all the things you say a complain about Chatty are actually more about Ringgold GA then it sounds sound lame. Google maps shows me that Windstone Ringgold is a 30 minute drive from the center of Chattanooga so what does it have to do with this town!?! We are in the same region, yes. Same city, no. Not even in the same state

I'm sure your one year of living here really was so lame that you have to come over to the chattanooga forum and complain constantly about it practically everywhere I look! I'm sure the culture out east brainerd is zilch so now I really see where your coming from. Sounds like perhaps you worked or went to school in chattytown? Then I maybe give you a tad more cred. but please why must you be so devoted to hanging out over here dissin the hell out of Chatty all day long. WE GET IT ALREADY... Ya didn't like the region!

For those of you not wanting to live in a neighborhood devoid of diversity & full of unfit smokers & teen mums like punkguys ex neighborhood I suggest you not live in Ga. Haha! Just kidding, I love a lot of Georgian cities(Atlanta, Savannah & Atlanta to name a few). (Please no georgians take offense. Just a lil sarcasm.)

Not to keep on about this but coincidentally my bf here is asian(chinese). I've seen way more than five asians in 5 months just by eating at particular delicious restaurants. Also, There are plenty of white folks(artists, yuppies & all types really) living in the southside around the choochoo & opening nifty businesses I might add. Or not to mention the very obvious hispanic population. Oh & the floridian population is also quite high. I've met many very nice floridians recently! So should we all visit the suburbs to witness an apparent lack of diversity? I have no idea what I could possibley need from a suburb so I doubt I will see this. I just give my opinions & perspectives representing the particular areas I live & spend time in which are admittedly a fairly small radius.

& Yes, the Northshore is rad!

So living in Chattanooga for a year, and then living 5 minutes from Hamilton County (actually Windstone is both TN/GA FYI) for 4 more years is not considered living in Chattanooga?

I worked in Chattanooga near downtown for close to 3 years, and we shopped/ate in Chattanooga. (there isn't a sprawling shopping area in Ringgold if you hadn't noticed)

This entire thread is GIVE ME NEGATIVES ABOUT CHATTANOOGA!
that is why I'm here.
Being someone who didn't like Chattanooga and has left because of it, gives me a more objective view of the negatives than someone who lives there still, and loves it.

My purpose is the "help" people who are thinking of moving to Chattanooga, decide whether or not the things I have listed are enough to keep them from moving here.
Obviously, you, and the others who love it here are going to downplay my reasons for not liking it.
That is your opinion, and I have my own.

If you look at some of the other threads (the one's not asking for general opinions on the city) I have said non critical things.

p.s. you can't compare Ringgold to Atlanta or Savannah...rural small town to big city

Old 02-26-2009, 11:03 AM

340 posts, read 1,513,137 times
Arguing on the Internet is stupid.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindsolitude View Post
Yes. . .Tennessee ranks #10. . .not hamilton county. And Dalton, GA. . .is Georgia. Not Chattanooga or Tennessee.

And could you cite your source for the statement about Hamilton County? Because on the state link I had, which was just f-h, Hamilton County had a teen birth rate of 49.4 per thousand, which is less than the state average of 50.5. On that page alone, only Humphreys, Houston, Hancock, Franklin, and Fayette had an equal or lower rate. It also states the rank and Hamilton was 47 out of 95 counties.

It kills me when I see someone hiking and then stop to take a smoke break. Really? What REALLY kills me is when they just throw the butt on the ground and keep going. I've seen that everywhere I've been though...on the beach, in the woods, etc. I guess people will do what they want to do.

As for the overweight issue, you stated that you didn't like the people. I forget which post # it was, but it was stated. And only basing conclusions of of what has been posted, you had an issue with the overweight people and stated later that you didn't like the people (i believe it was said "what's the point of staying in a city wheny ou don't like the people!" or something like that) so it made it appear that you don't like overweight people.

And you're going to have racist people everywhere. The only people I've been around that have used the n word have been the older generation and african american teens. But again, I'm 23 and I think the younger generation is much more tolerant and accepting of diversity than the older.
5/8/2008 - May Is Teen Pregnancy Prevention Month - Living Well - Chattanoogan.com

Also, a study in 2006, has Hamilton county ranked 84 out of 95 in teen pregnancy rates (95 being the worst)

Region Value
Tennessee 35
Hamilton 41.5

The entire list is here:
CLIKS: Rankings

the south in general:
"January 26, 2009
CDC Report Indicates Teen Pregnancy Rates Rising
A new report published this month by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) indicates that teen pregnancy rates are rising. The CDC, reported significant increases in the teen pregnancy rate in 26 states in 2006, ending a 15 year decline in teen pregnancy statistics.

Regionally, the northeast has the lowest and the south and southwest have the highest teen pregnancy rates"

I'm sure the sex-ed that TN has probably has a big role in why the teen pregnancy rates are so high:

Title V Abstinence Only Funding
"While many states have recognized the damaging effects of Title V Funding and rejected it, Tennessee continues to accept the funding"

Community Based Abstinence Only Education (CBAE) Funding
"CBAE funding is awarded by the federal government, bypassing any state approval process, to state and local organizations which offer abstinence-only programs. Organizations in Tennessee received almost $5.2 million in CBAE funds in Fiscal Year 07 – more money per school child than in all but two states."

Sex Education Policy
"Tennessee does not require sex education for its students, but if taught, programs must meet strict requirements which include emphasizing abstinence-until-marriage."

Old 02-26-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmarian View Post
Arguing on the Internet is stupid.
yes, it is.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:47 AM

243 posts, read 692,984 times
"Arguing on the Internet is stupid."

I just like to point out unresearched answers. I'm anal about facts and figures. . .hey, I'm an accountant.

And Punk Guy- your stats were from 2006 where as mine were from 2007/2008 and from the health department, etc. And you keep grabbing links and excerpts from stories about the country as a whole or just the state (i read the article from chattanoogan. . it just said one of the highest-no numbers stated).

You're correct. Hamilton County only teaches abstinence only education, which is a shame. I remember going to the class in middle school and thinking it was ridiculous. They preach about how condoms are not effective and try to scare people. . . and that obviously doesn't work. Kids are going to be kids, and do what they feel.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:54 PM

184 posts, read 676,762 times
Punkguy- Yay! I see that you have finally said good things about chatty on another thread. I new you had to like at least something!

& to break all the rules & argue a bit...
Still, "97% white (majority rednecks)" is incorrect

P.s.- I'm not comparing ringgold to atlanta or savannah! Just saying those are great georgian cities I do like, nothing more. I've never been to ringgold ga. I don't view it as a part of chattanooga. I only know where it is located thanks to google maps.

& to get back to the subject I have more negatives to add...
-I think a negative is No Blue Ridge Parkway!
-There surely will be more bugs here(mosquitos,roaches,ugh!)
-It's not going to be a breezy 85 degrees in the summer

Old 02-28-2009, 03:23 PM

137 posts, read 431,479 times
Quote:
-I think a negative is No Blue Ridge Parkway!
-There surely will be more bugs here(mosquitos,roaches,ugh!)
-It's not going to be a breezy 85 degrees in the summer
I like these negatives, in the sense that they are factually true and won't vary from person to person except in extreme cases. ("I hate scenic drive, but love bugs and hot weather!")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga