Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 11:40 AM

390 posts, read 1,701,775 times

Advertisements

Hey there! My husband and I were supposed to be visiting to check out Chattanooga and Knoxville for relocation, but my mom needed back surgery and I had to fly to CA to care for her instead. Change of plans, husband and mother in law are scouting it out this week instead!

They are really excited to see everything, but one thing that we want to make sure is that they see some nontouristy everyday life kinda things. We have all of the chamber of commerce info so we know the touristy places. Can you make some recommendations of things you like to do?

Second question...I already figured out based on previous threads where they should stay in Knoxville, so we just need advice for a reasonably priced centrally located place to stay in Chattanooga.....Any thoughts?

Any help you can give is so appreciated! Even though I won't be going, I am sooooo excited! I have been waiting for us to check this out for a while....

I think in Knoxville they are primarily going to focus on areas north of the city for housing. In Chattanooga, we have not really narrowed it down very much. That is what this trip is about....

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 02:05 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,964 times
Hello Beachbyrd, what is your price range (not being rude) What kind of area do you like? Older traditional homes? Newer urban areas? Subdivisions? Do you have children? What do you like to do? We can narrow your Chattanooga search quite a bit w/this info and be glad to help you! Sorry you couldn't be here yourself.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:44 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,683,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Hello Beachbyrd, what is your price range (not being rude) What kind of area do you like? Older traditional homes? Newer urban areas? Subdivisions? Do you have children? What do you like to do? We can narrow your Chattanooga search quite a bit w/this info and be glad to help you! Sorry you couldn't be here yourself.
Mr. Beachbyrd here Our range is anywhere from $100-175k. We'd prefer something more traditional (older) as opposed to a subdivision/new home, but wouldn't rule out anything except for a cookie-cutter gated development.

We have a daughter who'll be 2 in August with plans for more. We love playing outside with our daughter, and would love to be within walking distance of a park/outdoor facility. Jogging/biking paths are a plus too!

We'd prefer something with at least 1/2 an acre or more. I'm in the insurance business and will likely need to make my way towards the hub of the city often. 30+ minute commutes are no big deal though.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:08 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,105 times
Thumbs up I-75 side of Chat

TD. Seems like you will be using I-75 between the 2 cities. We have the Chat info and live here. Many motels, use coupon books, south of Cleveland. A Ramada Limited, or Micro-Tel have good value. However we do have a higher motel / sales/room tax, but sure you will enjoy view.
Weather forcast about 70 degrees, not like 87 today. Bike rivertrail on East side of river for many miles. Just into Bradley county maybe lower taxes than Hamilton county. OOltewah getting very popular since our MVP Super Bowl QB. Almost a festival every weekend here, then not far to go East to scenic river gorge of Ocoee Olympic raft /Kayak center, outfitters.
Write again if any specifics. Lots of receration here. Cleveland nifty small city on the grow. Religious college area.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:17 PM

Thanks split...I'm sure we'll have more ?'s soon. I realized my post above was talking about house buying whereas my wife's above is more about hotel pricing. She's in CA at the moment,and I'm in FL.....see what 3000 miles will do to a couple's communication!

When/if we may the jump...we'll most likely rent first in order to get a feel for the area. I'm leaning towards Chattanooga, but can't rule out Knoxville as of yet. Hence, the trip to both areas.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:03 PM

btw...would anyone like anything from South Florida. be glad to pick it up & drop it off during my stay.

(high crime, South Beach sand, rush hour traffic, oranges, over-crowded schools, mangoes, humidity, Cuban cigars, hurricane supplies & maps, etc...)

Old 03-27-2007, 06:42 AM

Alright Beachbyrd family, I am going to suggest you go see our North Shore (formerly North Chattanooga). This is a great pedestrian area w/TONS of family activities and amazing homes but the lots will probably not be as large as you would like. Good magnet schools nearby and close to downtown (across the river). This is a touristy area but also VERY native friendly so you can get two for one. Do a quick google search on Coolidge Park or here's a link for you:

http://www.rivercitycompany.com/ddvelop/public_places/coolidge.asp (broken link)

Also Red Bank is a nice family area but you may need to drive to a park, depending on the area of course as there are a couple of play areas tossed in for fun. Also close to downtown but smaller lots as well.

Both Signal Mtn and Lookout Mtn are beautiful but pricey. Dig around a bit, you may find something you like there as well.

For larger lots but farther commuting and a more suburban feel, try Soddy Daisy, Sale Creek or Ooltewah.

I also have a great reference for day care/preschool if you need one!

Old 03-27-2007, 07:43 AM

390 posts, read 1,701,775 times
Default Thank you!

For your responses! HUsband is on his way up there, as I write this! He did find a room, but for some reason many places were completely booked.

I can't wait to hear his reports back! Will let you know what he says! He has his Blackberry (has to keep working while away, due to running small business), so maybe he will check in, as well!

Thanks again!

Old 03-27-2007, 08:07 AM

How exciting for you all! Hope he has a nice trip up here and tell him he can keep the traffic and crime but some sand and oranges are welcome lol Keep us updated!

Old 03-27-2007, 09:55 AM

We're approaching Orlando from the south. I have room in the back for one Disney character. First person to post their favorite ( mickey, minnie, pluto, etc) I'll see about kidnapping them!

We booked the holiday inn express off exit 1 for the next few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga