Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 04:24 PM

18 posts, read 81,182 times

Advertisements

I am a graduate student doing some sociological research on the area and am interested in the following information:

Just curious what readers think is the most expensive or exclusive residential neighborhood in Chatt? The answer can refer to neighborhoods that think that they are exclusive and also ones that simply are expensive.

Additionally, what about country clubs/tennis clubs? High society in Chatt? Is there a certain thread in the city that perceives itself as the elite?

Your anonymous answers, discussion is appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:16 AM

340 posts, read 1,512,013 times
I think it depends on what you define as Chattanooga. Lookout Mountain probably has the most 'old money' while Signal Mountain is more nouveau riche. For in-town residential exclusivity you would probably need to investigate the Riverview area on the North Shore.

Club-wise, the Lookout Mountain Golf and Country Club is fairly exclusive, as defined by cost of admission. Home - Lookout Mountain Fairyland Club (http://www.fairylandclub.org/fw/main/Home-1.html - broken link) In town, there is a little-known club called the Walden Club (http://www.waldenclub.org/id151.html), which is a business / social club and bills itself as elite. You might also check out http://www.chattanoogagcc.org/Club/S.../Home/home.asp

Another avenue of exclusivity is looking at the private schools in the area. Take a look at Baylor School . You can undoubtedly find the children of the city's elite. 640 acre campus and $20k a year for tuition for a middle schooler . . .

So those are social groups with easy access (just takes money), but in all honesty I would guess that some of the most exclusive groups may be formed through religious organizations, but of course finding out about those may be tough. Church is very important to folks down here, and a lot of business is done among brethren. Find a rich church, and you will find those that make it so.

Last edited by dasmarian; 04-18-2009 at 07:33 AM..

Old 04-18-2009, 07:29 AM

600 posts, read 2,260,545 times
Mountain Shadows Estates has the reputation of being the premiere upscale large development in Chattanooga.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:47 AM

340 posts, read 1,512,013 times
I would add that all these may be expensive for Chattanooga, but compared to some other markets these are really cheap. There isn't a whole lot of truly expensive real estate in this city as compared to say, Atlanta. So I can't say that I believe that there is a true elite in Chattanooga, no Skull and Bones Society. I could be naive, but I don't see the money here to support something like that.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:41 PM

103 posts, read 297,804 times
Council Fire...and the area on the "mountain" where all those giant houses are (near Ootehwah/Ringgold Rd)

Old 04-19-2009, 05:46 AM

849 posts, read 2,954,897 times
Battery Place along the Tennessee River and the Riverwalk have always impressed my wife and I, though I don't know how exclusive. Some of the homes there are very impressive.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:02 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,875,245 times
Cool Rarity Club ,Nick a jack lake ,Jasper .?

S: ..It was about a year ago for the opening of "RARITY CLUB" west of the city on the river , in Nick a Jack lake , with the Lee Trevino announced Golf Course that I would put near the top of your list . Raw dirt was in the range of $one million per acre . Half acre lots about $500k.
.. Real Estate going soft this year . Other Clubs north at Tellico with the Greg Norman golf course I believe is behind schedule & recently heard the developers / partners in dispute with each other .??
Here is the link to site & pics . Rarity Club - Home

Old 04-23-2009, 07:50 AM

600 posts, read 2,260,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmarian View Post
I would add that all these may be expensive for Chattanooga, but compared to some other markets these are really cheap. There isn't a whole lot of truly expensive real estate in this city as compared to say, Atlanta. So I can't say that I believe that there is a true elite in Chattanooga, no Skull and Bones Society. I could be naive, but I don't see the money here to support something like that.
The prices of homes are driven by the market, not how "elite" people are or where they life. Small, crappy houses are expensive in Atlanta in neighborhoods I wouldn't even life in. Wages are also higher in Atlanta than they are here, so it's all relative. Chattanooga has some very expensive properties and some very rich families that live here.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:35 AM

21 posts, read 109,195 times
I would like to bring Eagle Bluff and its Golf Club into this thread. Unbelievable homes everywhere!

Old 04-29-2009, 11:08 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,048,960 times
Default reply

riverview and lookout mt. there are no others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga