Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 09:29 AM

5 posts, read 8,499 times

Advertisements

I apologize for piggy backing off of this post but it is well read. I was recently in a minor car accident in Downers Grove. There were cars ahead of me that had stopped at a green light intersection because of and accident that had happened a little earlier. I did not see the accident, and when the cars came to a quick stop I rear ended the car in front (which in turn bumped the car in front of it). I saw it in time to break but the road was slippery and downhill so I could not brake fully and therefore I think I am at fault.

When an officer arrived, I was issued a ticket for failing to slow to avoid an accident an or driving too fast for adverse conditions. The ticket said that my "bond" is $140 which I assume is my ticket amount.

Normally I'd just be happy to pay the ticket and get the thing settled but there is one more wrinkle. Although there was only minor damage to the vehicles (bumper scratches, ect.), the drivers in the car ahead of me must have said they had wiplash because they were taken to the hospital (I was shocked because the passenger got out of his car and took pictures of my car before getting back in). Anyway, because of their was personal injury, I have to appear in court for my ticket.

My two concerns are:
1.) Insurance: will there hospital check up kill my insurance? I'm just freaked out that they had to do that. I imagine the claim for the vehicle damage will be minor so I'm not too worried about that.
2.) Court: I've never been in an accident and I've definitely never been to court. What should I expect? I don't think they people were malicious but I imagine I can get sued?
--> what i hope happens is the bill from their hospital visit is not too high and I can settle their claims through my insurance for a reasonable amount. If they are happy, they and the officer will not show up in court. Is this possible or is it wishful thinking.

Thanks in advance for the help. I tend to be paranoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 5,784 times
Making this short. Involved in a car accident I don't remember how it happen woke up and ambulance was there. The other person who I crashed with said it was my fault and shows his Sid doc story on police report I didn't say nothing due to I don't remeber how it happen I was in trauma. I lapsed on my insurance and didn't have it at that time how ever u showed insurance at the moment but it wasn't active. What can happen to me at court not having insurance and accused of being at fault? My car is no longer good to be back on the road and the other persons car is bad crashed from the front and air bags deployed.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,784 times
Bump

Old 06-13-2015, 12:14 PM

588 posts, read 1,799,571 times
Long story short, you'll have big fines and probably be civilly sued.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrraffin View Post
I apologize for piggy backing off of this post but it is well read. I was recently in a minor car accident in Downers Grove. There were cars ahead of me that had stopped at a green light intersection because of and accident that had happened a little earlier. I did not see the accident, and when the cars came to a quick stop I rear ended the car in front (which in turn bumped the car in front of it). I saw it in time to break but the road was slippery and downhill so I could not brake fully and therefore I think I am at fault.

When an officer arrived, I was issued a ticket for failing to slow to avoid an accident an or driving too fast for adverse conditions. The ticket said that my "bond" is $140 which I assume is my ticket amount.

Normally I'd just be happy to pay the ticket and get the thing settled but there is one more wrinkle. Although there was only minor damage to the vehicles (bumper scratches, ect.), the drivers in the car ahead of me must have said they had wiplash because they were taken to the hospital (I was shocked because the passenger got out of his car and took pictures of my car before getting back in). Anyway, because of their was personal injury, I have to appear in court for my ticket.

My two concerns are:
1.) Insurance: will there hospital check up kill my insurance? I'm just freaked out that they had to do that. I imagine the claim for the vehicle damage will be minor so I'm not too worried about that.
2.) Court: I've never been in an accident and I've definitely never been to court. What should I expect? I don't think they people were malicious but I imagine I can get sued?
--> what i hope happens is the bill from their hospital visit is not too high and I can settle their claims through my insurance for a reasonable amount. If they are happy, they and the officer will not show up in court. Is this possible or is it wishful thinking.

Thanks in advance for the help. I tend to be paranoid.

could you please post any feedback from your experiences, i am in the same boat, not obeying redlight, accident, personal injury, court appearance required

Old 01-13-2016, 01:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
I'll try to keep this short. A couple of weeks ago I was in a minor car accident. No one was hurt, there was minimal damage, but it was my fault. I was issued two citations and must appear in court next week (Rolling Meadows). I'm wondering if any of you have had any experience with a similar situation, as I am totally freaking out about this. I've never been in an accident before, and I've never set foot in a courtroom before. I have no idea what to expect. I just assume plead guilty since it was my fault, but I'm still very nervous about it. If any of you have been through this before and could help put my mind at ease, I would really appreciate it!

Hi,
I'm on the same situation -rear ended a car, got a citation for following too close and have to go to court Friday. I've never even set foot in a courtroom and am extremely nervous. Do you remember what you were asked?

Old 04-30-2016, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,151 times
I was in a wreck in polkton, nc and i got two citationso failure to maintain lane control within a single lane and operating a vehicle at a speed greater than was reasonable. I swerved to avoid hitting a deer and i have a clean record. I was told to get a letter from the insurance company stating that all damages have been taken care of and they would dismiss it

Old 05-30-2016, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,031 times
I got into a accident for the first time with my new car and I only have a permit . No one was hurt but the other person faked as if he was hurt and went to the hospital I don't have insurance but I will receive my license before court time . What are my consequences ?

Old 05-30-2016, 07:26 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
Being that you broke almost all the basic requirements, no license, no insurance, accident, Personal Injury Accident....be prepared to find a couple more jobs to pay for the fines and Drivers Education classes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs