Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 11:31 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,399 times

Advertisements

I'll try to keep this short. A couple of weeks ago I was in a minor car accident. No one was hurt, there was minimal damage, but it was my fault. I was issued two citations and must appear in court next week (Rolling Meadows). I'm wondering if any of you have had any experience with a similar situation, as I am totally freaking out about this. I've never been in an accident before, and I've never set foot in a courtroom before. I have no idea what to expect. I just assume plead guilty since it was my fault, but I'm still very nervous about it. If any of you have been through this before and could help put my mind at ease, I would really appreciate it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 11:52 AM

33 posts, read 118,551 times
If it helps, my MIL caused an accident (that totaled our van and damaged the other vehicle-- no injuries) and had court in rolling meadows a few months ago-- the officer and other driver both failed to show up so everything was dropped. My understanding was that if they were in court, she would have just paid her fines that day (but I haven't bern through it, so I could be totally wrong).

If something doesn't make sense, I blame autocorrect.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:58 PM

23 posts, read 110,537 times
Nothing to even worry about. The worst part is thinking about it. Get there early to get a parking spot in the garage and get through security. Better to be in court a half hour early, rather than one minute after the judge enters the room. Check in with the clerk inside the court room so they know you are present. You stated you are pleading guilty to the tickets so there is no need to testify. Without knowing the traffic tickets and crash info, chances are at least 50-50 one or both might be dismissed. It's not uncommon for the investigating officer or the other driver involved in the crash to not appear in court. In that case the tickets are "usually" dismissed.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:09 AM

694 posts, read 2,015,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
I'll try to keep this short. A couple of weeks ago I was in a minor car accident. No one was hurt, there was minimal damage, but it was my fault. I was issued two citations and must appear in court next week (Rolling Meadows). I'm wondering if any of you have had any experience with a similar situation, as I am totally freaking out about this. I've never been in an accident before, and I've never set foot in a courtroom before. I have no idea what to expect. I just assume plead guilty since it was my fault, but I'm still very nervous about it. If any of you have been through this before and could help put my mind at ease, I would really appreciate it!

Bring your tooth brush and prepare for a full body cavity search when you are remanded to the sheriff. LOL. Just kidding. To build on what the others have said, I have been in this scenario before.

If the Cop who issued the ticket did not personally witness the accident, then testimony is needed from the other driver or witnesses to convict you. In this case, I would plead "Not Guilty". If the other driver or his witnesses are not in court, the judge will hand you back your license and dismiss your case. Most people are not vindictive enough to show up to court over an accident, especially if you have taken care of their claims through your insurance. People will show up to court angry and willing to testify if its your fault and you or your insurance company are stringing them along. Anyway, you have nothing to lose by taking a chance and pleading not guilty. As long as they have their vehicle repaired, you more than likely can walk out of court owing nothing and have the tickets dismissed.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:39 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,116 times
Rule number one: Plead not guilty. The cop may have given you a summons but he did not witness anything so his testimony isn't anything even if it was obvious (like you ran a sign). Chances are less than about 5% the other driver is going to show up. Especially if your insurance takes car of his car by the time you go to court. Chances are about 50% the cop won't be there either. Sometimes, at least in Chicago, they will offer you a good deal such as a fine and "supervision" which means if you don't get into any more traffic trouble for 60 days, your tickets drop off your driving record. If they offer that option, consider taking it. Above all else, you do NOT want a traffic ticket on your driving record because in Illinois they stay on there PERMANENTLY. Why it is like that, I don't know. Most other states drop them off after 3 or 5 years.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 62,737 times
I was involved in failing to yield right of way- no injury to other vehicle and no one was injured - bridgeview illinois ticketed other party for no insurance paperwork,, from Alabama and I got ticket for failure to yield right of way but also a court date? Why a court date for this kind of accident ?t

Old 09-17-2014, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 118,253 times
i was in a car accident on the expressway on aug 10 i only have sr22 insurance but didint not have the insurance at the time of the accident so i receive three tickets when the state trooper came one for no insurance one for improper lane usuage and another for failure to reduce speed. can anyone tell what would happen in court i go to court tomorrow and im very nervous

Old 09-18-2014, 01:53 PM

588 posts, read 1,799,571 times
This become the traffic court thread? Well chances are you're back from court already. I assume you got a couple hundred in fines.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:17 PM

44 posts, read 117,319 times
Dspicy, I'd be interested to hear how things went in court, especially for the no insurance ticket.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 118,253 times
Well court went well the tickets was dismissed my sr22 insurance actually worked. The person I was in the accident with did not show but the state trooper did but he could not really say much because he did not witness the accident so they gave me my drivers license back and I was out the door thank god no fines!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs