Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 11:06 PM

4 posts, read 30,759 times

Advertisements

Are you out of your damn mind. Blue Island??? Law enforcement there is the worst I've ever seen. Beautuful houses don't get me wrong, but, is it worth is being in the area??? It really depends on what area your in in suburbs such as Riverdale, Dolton, Markham, and Cal City. I'm a resident of Riverdale and the only thing that has really changed over here is the stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 07:57 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,723,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Best bang for your buck in the South suburbs might be Munster (which I believe borders Lansing). Not to mention Munster is home to one of the most renown breweries in the country.

Lansing is also home to one of the most curious golf courses at the Lansing Country Club, where on certain holes you can tee up, grab your driver, hit the ball right down the middle of the fairway and you will have literally hit the ball into the next state. You'll be walking along the fairway and cross the state line without ever knowing it.

Munster also has fantastic schools, but it is expensive (for Indiana, anyway)

Old 01-15-2007, 11:17 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by right1only View Post
Are you out of your damn mind. Blue Island???
10 Reasons Blue Island is awesome

10) The First White Castle in Chicago (although the original building is torn down the greasy goodness lives on at 127th and western)
9) The Eagles Club Bowling Alley. They still have a manual pinsetter!
8) Main St Western Ave. Looks better than it has in my lifetime.
7) Memorial Park
6) 2 (count em 2) separate Metra stations going to the north or south loop
5) New Marina/Planned Development at Fay's Point on the River
4) Olde Western Ave
3) Mario's Tacos
2) Maple Tree Inn
1) Drum Roll Please... Beggars Pizza! The best Pizza ever in the world.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:24 PM

51 posts, read 135,792 times
I was very concerned too regarding the law enforcement issue. There was a story regarding the police beating up a hispanic man that was over I think 60 years old in an alley. The family is suing the city currently.... not cool..

Old 01-15-2007, 12:31 PM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletjazz View Post
I was very concerned too regarding the law enforcement issue. There was a story regarding the police beating up a hispanic man that was over I think 60 years old in an alley. The family is suing the city currently.... not cool..
Yep, not cool, that happened almost three years ago. The police admitted they tackled the wrong guy and have since settled the case out of court.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:45 PM

5 posts, read 49,474 times
If you want to move near Chicago but don't want to be in the center of the city check out Blue Island. It is easily accessible to the city via the expressway and two commuter railways run through the town. If you are a boater a new marina and townhome development is going in along the cal sag canal and little calumet river. I believe walking trails are going in to. Everyone in the know says this community is hot, hot, hot!

Old 03-08-2007, 02:57 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,612,132 times
The last time I was in BLue Island,it was down right scary,ugly,crime ridden and the Cal-sag was a sewer. I vowed never to return.HOWEVER-You say it has improved,--marina?walking paths?thats GREAT! Love to hear it and hope the "hot hot hot" spreads to some of those neighboring communities as well.Always like to hear about the positives when a town greatly improves,you should be very proud

Old 03-08-2007, 04:57 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,457,310 times
If I was forced down to the south suburbs, I'd probably pick Evergreen Park or Oak Lawn, mainly because I'm a sucker for bungalows The jewels of the south 'burbs are obviously Tinley and Orland. I'm not a huge fan because they're too "new" for me (a 1979 house is considered "vintage") but I can see the appeal. If you want restaurants and shopping galore, that's definitely the place to be. They have everything down there.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
When was Blue Island "crime-ridden" ?

Old 03-09-2007, 04:06 PM

76 posts, read 476,083 times
Cool Thanks For Asking!!!

The subarbs you should stay way from are: Maywood, Riverdale, Harvey, Dolton, Cicero, Lyons, and Melrose Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs