Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 7,458 times

Advertisements

Yes, Blue Island
I have been working in Blue Island for the last few years and I find it a very safe, friendly place - with nice neighbors. Blue Island is also going thru a big redevelopment plan, they even have new construction - the Fay's Point Community with townhomes, condos, marina and boat slips. Where else can you find these kind of amenites so close to Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 09:52 PM

7 posts, read 48,206 times
My boyfriend and I recently bought a home in the histroic area of Blue Island and it is awesome! I was able to move out of a tiny house in the city and purchase an Arts & Crafts dream home. I'm not too familiar with the school districts but we don't plan on having kids anytime soon. 2 other couples have also bought homes within 6 blocks of us and this town is an up and coming area, especially amongst young couples previously living in the city. I walk to the train everyday for work and feel totally safe. I-57 is nearby and the new Marina seems pretty cool. We go out there in the summer once in awhile to sit outside and have a beer.

If you don't have a budget, Frankfort, Palos Heights, Tinley and Orland are all very nice and family orientated typical suburbs. Some have beautiful older areas as well, but Orland is too congested with shopping districts for me personally. I like affordable, promising, and old charm and I am happy with my choice.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:12 PM

23 posts, read 153,801 times
I've been to Oak Lawn and it's a pretty nice quiet town, so that would be a good south suburb, and there arent that many that are good south. You should look into north or the northwest suburbs.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:19 PM

19 posts, read 97,930 times
Default Homewood

Homewood is the best most reasonable choice, Flossmoor is great too, but more pricey. The schools and park districts are both national award winners, and both towns have a great village atmosphere. Tinley Park, I find is over built, crowded and way over priced for the 80's stle subdivisions that are available.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:23 PM

4 posts, read 30,753 times
Blue Island has seen better days. All the communites surrounding the Cal-Sag hope to use it to their advantage. My sister stays there and my mom works out there and their versions of the city change. Although the mayor is republican, I'm hoping he can make up for that by pushing the community out of the rut that it is in.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:38 PM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,345 times
The city of Park Forest makes Illinois top 150 must see sites
http://www.illinoisgreatplaces.com/
It really is an amazing time capsule out there.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:52 AM

22 posts, read 160,747 times
I heard that Gary, ID was terrible.

The pop. is around 100,000 and there was 100 murders 1 year!!

Where I live which is about the same size wouldn't expect even half of that in 10 years!

Old 05-03-2007, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 9,393 times
Homewood Flossmoor is the place to be! You get the "Mayberrry" feeling with movies in the parks, amazing little league, soccer, swimming and tennis clubs. Amazing award winning schools, and parks. Stand in line at the Dairy Queen on a hot summer night and the person behind you was your teacher in Junior High, the person in front of you played on your little league team and the person in front of him is someone you coached at soccer! If people had a clue what these towns had to offer the average home would be $800,000 instead of around $190,000-240,000. Did I mention it is only a 30 minute Metra train commute into Downtown Chicago?

Old 05-03-2007, 08:52 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Sounds nice,but with the exception of the home price,this is a description of at least a dozen chicago 'burbs.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:43 PM

19 posts, read 118,348 times
i would recommend Blue Island over Alsip/Crestwood/Worth in a heartbeat. I was recently in B.I. and their downtown looks better now than I ever remember it.
We always felt superior in Alsip, but Alsip just doesn't have any...personality. Crappy bilevels on little lots. But the park district is pretty cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs