Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2007, 09:28 AM

4 posts, read 45,347 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking to buy a home for myself and soon to be wife. We have no children and would not have any for at least three years or so. We both have jobs very close to the loop (she does not drive, but uses public transportation... while I am able to drive to work as I have parking supplied to me by the office).

We were looking at the Berwyn area as the homes that reside there have a lot of character about them (we both like the 1920's bungalow style) and the prices are very affordable. The neighborhood seems nice enough (having taken a couple trips out there just to hang around and take the area in so to speak). We like the area south of 26th St., north of Ogden, and west of Oak Park Ave.

Now I'm not naive in the slightest and have done my research about the area and am aware that crime is present (yet from my findings it is no worse then where I live now... Wicker Park). I am also aware of the large Hispanic population that resides there as well... as well as the most recent incidents that have happened in this area (speaking of that kid who was stabbed).

I need a serious evaluation of this area from anybody in the know about Berwyn... and I'm not looking for "its great move on in"... I want to hear facts both good as well as bad, and don't pull punches... I want to know everything....

Thanks for your time,

ZombieJuicer
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 12:52 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieJuicer View Post
I'm currently looking to buy a home for myself and soon to be wife. We have no children and would not have any for at least three years or so. We both have jobs very close to the loop (she does not drive, but uses public transportation... while I am able to drive to work as I have parking supplied to me by the office).

We were looking at the Berwyn area as the homes that reside there have a lot of character about them (we both like the 1920's bungalow style) and the prices are very affordable. The neighborhood seems nice enough (having taken a couple trips out there just to hang around and take the area in so to speak). We like the area south of 26th St., north of Ogden, and west of Oak Park Ave.

Now I'm not naive in the slightest and have done my research about the area and am aware that crime is present (yet from my findings it is no worse then where I live now... Wicker Park). I am also aware of the large Hispanic population that resides there as well... as well as the most recent incidents that have happened in this area (speaking of that kid who was stabbed).

I need a serious evaluation of this area from anybody in the know about Berwyn... and I'm not looking for "its great move on in"... I want to hear facts both good as well as bad, and don't pull punches... I want to know everything....

Thanks for your time,

ZombieJuicer
Berwyn has been discussed quite a bit on here. Use the search feature and you'll uncover a lot of info. To summarize, it has a great housing stock (as you've seen), reasonable prices and great proximity and access (not just to downtown Chicago but the I-294 job corridor). While underrated in the past, people are starting to notice its attributes. I think its future is bright.

Drawbacks are the high school district (which the community is working to change) and it still needs more economic development. But that's starting to change too. As you point out, it's a densely populated community right next to the City, so it's not going to be like Woodstock in terms of crime. Still, the serious gang problems that Cicero and Austin are experiencing don't really exist here. You get taggings and wannabes but no notable gang violence. I think the stabbing, while highly unfortunate, was an isolated incident. The stabber was actually from Darien. The family moved him into his Berwyn grandmother's house because he got tossed from two alternative schools in his own town. He had been at the Berwyn school for only two days when the incident happened.

The community is definitely diverse, so if you're used to Geneva or Tinley Park or somewhere like that, you may feel a bit uncomfortable. I think coming from Wicker Park, you'll be just fine with the overall atmosphere. It will be similar.

Generally, I'd rate the community positively, particularly for someone like yourself who is used to an area like Wicker Park. You'll have a house but won't feel too "suburban."

Old 03-26-2007, 02:42 PM

5 posts, read 37,718 times
Hey ZombieJuicer,
My recommendation would be a NO. While Berwyn has beautiful houses and is close to the Loop via the Metra, I wouldn't want to raise a family there anymore because of the gangs, which of course has increased big time because of the Hispanics. Yeah, it's not as bad as the west side or Cicero, but it's headed in that direction.

I lived in Berwyn for a majority of my life, but it has gone downhill, and I got out of there years ago, just in time. I take it you're a white guy, and yes, there is a lot of tension between the Hispanics and what remains of whites. If you absolutely had to go there, be sure to move into the Irving School district. That's the biggest concentration of whites left. Of course, by the time you have kids and they're of school age, that school will probably be 90% Hispanic. Maybe you're fine living in 'diversity', but I'd take a pass on it.

Don't want to sound like a big racist but I'm not pulling punches, just trying to help you out. I wish I could be more positive but I'm a natural pessimist. If you don't plan on having kids, then it'd be fine to get to work downtown. But I'd vote for other neighborhoods like La Grange or Downers Grove or Riverside. But then I don't know your financial situation. Hope this helps.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Hey ZombieJuicer,

Don't want to sound like a big racist but I'm not pulling punches, just trying to help you out.
A sweeping tie of Hispanics to gangs? Nah, you don't come off like a big racist at all. Berwyn's crime rate is actually relatively low for a dense community near the city (lower than Oak Park), and it dropped in 2006. I've lived here 4 years and we've been the victim of 0 crime.

There are many middle class Latinos moving here, as well as professionals from Oak Park and the north side of Chicago. Many of the older blue collar residents left in the 1990s, and there is a tension between the ones who remain and, not just the Hispanics, but the "yuppies" moving here too. The Berwyn of old is definitely dying out, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing if you know what I'm saying.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:57 AM

23 posts, read 153,820 times
Default Stay out of berwyn

Berwyn is headed downhill in a hurry, I wouldnt buy a house in that town. Just drive past there when the weather is warm, and youll see these hispanic thugs walking the streets, and the gangs are growing so much I think its going be just like cicero.I bet their schools are a joke as well. You're better off in oak park or elmwood park.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:57 PM

102 posts, read 163,495 times
So Hispanics make the town bad?

Old 03-27-2007, 03:57 PM

Seems so according to these enlightened folks. One really good thing about the Latinos who moved here is, aside from fixing up some previously run down properties, they drove most of the racist morons who once gave Berwyn a "Camaro 'n Mullet" reputation out of town. Unfortunately, you still run into them from time to time posting anonymously on internet message boards. But other than that, the air is starting to clear. Thank God.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 17,379 times
Well I have lived in Berwyn for a bit more than 2 years. I came from the Northwest side of Chicago. I honestly have to say that it took me close to a year to get used to it, but it wasn't because it's a bad place it was because I am not married or have kids and I just missed the city. I do have a nephew who lives with me and a much younger brother and sister. Now I love the atmosphere. It's a kind of place that you could just take a walk to the ice cream shop. The schools are good. I do not attend a Berwyn district school (too old for that) but all the kids in my house do. They love it. I am very involved with their education and I could tell you that they are good schools. They are not the best but they are waaaaaaay better then Chicago Public Schools. The teachers are very involved and there are plenty of after school programs. Not just any school has the capacity of handling handy cap children but most of Berwyn school's do. My nephew has been showing some signs of ADD. They have been very attentive and put him to the side for a couple of hours a week with a group to be able to have more attention.

If you do not like Hispanics than I guess Berwyn is not the place for you. It doesn't mean that Mexicans are everywhere you turn. We are not talking about "La Villita" "26th Street". What a lot of people do not know about Berwyn is that it has it's certain sections. You might know because the section that you are interested is a very beautiful and peaceful section where the schools are very good also. I live around that section (we might be neighbors one day I am Mexican American myself. There are a lot of neighbors like myself who keep to themselves but smile everyday to each of my neighbors and they know that if they ever need anything they could count on me and they also know that if I ever see anything suspicious I will let them know. In the other hand we also have neighbors like my mother who know everyone by name and likes sharing recipes with other neighbors.

We basically moved because we where tired of paying such a high mortgage for such a little house. Now we have a beautiful bungalow. It was convenient for my sister who works in Mac Neal hospital and me....well I work the downtown loop area and it takes me a little less than an hour to get to work. Public transportation is a big plus. I spend about $20 a week and only use my car on the weekends. So that is a huge help with gas expenses. (More shopping for me huge plus) Gangs???? Personally I have never seen anything. I sometimes get off of work around 11pm get home after midnight and I walk from the Metra station and I could honestly say I walk very peacefully.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:05 PM

23 posts, read 153,820 times
Default What?

Im hispanic, but theres a difference between being hispanic and a good citizen and being a hispanic gang member. Stay out these suburbs > maywood, cicero, berwyn,

Old 03-29-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus23 View Post
Im hispanic, but theres a difference between being hispanic and a good citizen and being a hispanic gang member. Stay out these suburbs > maywood, cicero, berwyn,
If you live or lived in Berwyn and had a bad experience, that's unfortunate, but it doesn't reflect my experience. My experience has been very good in the town. If it wasn't, I'd move immediately, believe me. I don't tolerate problems relating to my family's safety very well.

My suspicion, though, is that you don't live here and are making generalized assumptions based on the racial composition of the town. Berwyn's major critics tend to be those who fled to places like Plainfield due to the Latinos and those who know almost nothing about the community. Do you have statistics to support your argument that there are a lot of gangs here? Or do you see a Hispanic teenager on the street and make an assumption that he's a gang member? Like lazalde, I'm not really seeing the gang activity you describe and the major statistic that I rely on -- the Illinois State Police crime rate - is low compared to Cicero and Oak Park. Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs