Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:23 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,221,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't think of whites in Philadelphia or the rest of the Northeast as "talking proper." It's not so much the diction and grammar as it is the pronunciation of certain words and the overall accent. You can speak technically perfect English while sounding like Fran Drescher.
Perhaps, but the accent of whites in Chicago is nothing like that of whites on the east coast. Whites (or blacks for that matter) in Chicago don't have that heavy accent like Bostonians or how Jews (ala Fran Drescher) speak in the Northeast. I'd venture to say whites in Chicago "talk proper" more so than whites in the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 11:35 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Perhaps, but the accent of whites in Chicago is nothing like that of whites on the east coast. Whites (or blacks for that matter) in Chicago don't have that heavy accent like Bostonians or how Jews (ala Fran Drescher) speak in the Northeast. I'd venture to say whites in Chicago "talk proper" more so than whites in the Northeast.
Chicago has a large Polish population. Is there an ethnolect specific to that particular community?

Maybe the Northeast in general is more Italian/Irish/Jewish heavy and that impacts the dialect? Metro Boston, for example, is about half the size of Greater Chicago, but yet it has about the same number of Italian-Americans.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Chicago has a large Polish population. Is there an ethnolect specific to that particular community?
I've only ever come up in contact with Polish-Americans (born there) who had no specific or distinct accent that I can recall.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I've only ever come up in contact with Polish-Americans (born there) who had no specific or distinct accent that I can recall.
What about the African American relationship with the Hispanic community? Has that had any impact on black speech?

Old 01-03-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
What about the African American relationship with the Hispanic community? Has that had any impact on black speech?
I'd say not at all. The are some parts of the city where there's a bit of a mix, but still it's not to a point where black speech or culture is influenced by it. Blacks in Chicago have their own distinct sub-culture, and even that varies by class.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:34 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times
Quote:
Blacks in Chicago have their own distinct sub-culture, and even that varies by class.
You are so right!!!

Not to change the subject but when I go to other cities and meet people who say they grew up on the west side or south side of Chicago, I understand that there is a culture they are speaking of that is unique to that area. Good and bad. Unless you live here you will not understand.

I can't relate to many natives blacks here because of that. But I understand the difference and many times they understand as well. I'm just the brotha from another place. Lol.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I can't relate to many natives blacks here because of that. But I understand the difference and many times they understand as well. I'm just the brotha from another place. Lol.
Do you feel like you are treated as an outsider?

As a native I never really knew anyone from the west side. I just knew that was a part of town you stayed away from. Here in Atlanta I worked very briefly with a girl from the west side of Chicago. She was very mean, hostile and had a very bad attitude--which was way our time working together was brief. She got fired for her mean and combative attitude. She was rough around the edges to say the least. She also spoke differently than me (ghetto speech).

Though we were both black and from the same city, I couldn't relate to her at all.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I'd say not at all. The are some parts of the city where there's a bit of a mix, but still it's not to a point where black speech or culture is influenced by it. Blacks in Chicago have their own distinct sub-culture, and even that varies by class.
So is it more like Atlanta in that when you go to a "black" club you don't see many Hispanics there?

Old 01-03-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
So is it more like Atlanta in that when you go to a "black" club you don't see many Hispanics there?

I wouldn't say that. In Chicago House music is the thing, and while House music originated in Chicago in the black community, and it's mostly blacks at House clubs/parties, you will see whites, Asians and Latinos there too.

At least this is true for the House scene. When I lived in Chicago and when I go visit, I only went/go to House clubs.

Atlanta's Hispanic community is predominantly Mexican and you aren't going to see blacks in Mexican clubs here either. A lot of black people aren't into Banda or Tejano lol. Clubs here that play Salsa are more mixed. Everybody loves Salsa.

White people go to blues clubs in Chicago.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't say that. In Chicago House music is the thing, and while House music originated in Chicago in the black community, and it's mostly blacks at House clubs/parties, you will see whites, Asians and Latinos there too.

At least this is true for the House scene. When I lived in Chicago and when I go visit, I only went/go to House clubs.

Atlanta's Hispanic community is predominantly Mexican and you aren't going to see blacks in Mexican clubs here either. A lot of black people aren't into Banda or Tejano lol. Clubs here that play Salsa are more mixed. Everybody loves Salsa.

White people go to blues clubs in Chicago.
I'm wondering whether the type of Hispanics in a city makes a difference or not. The thing about Puerto Ricans and Dominicans is that they tend to have African heritage. There seems to be more common ground between those groups and Blacks than, say, Guatemalans and Blacks. Consequently, you see a closer relationship between AAs and PRs and DRs than other groups.

And maybe that relationship alters the character of black speech in cities with large PR/DR populations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago