Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 10:59 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,923,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Tedious is the word. This will be my 4th insurance change in 3 years.

Thanks for the info about the change in the Harken network. I was worried about that. Did they mention if RUSH will also leave the network? If there was at least ONE of the big hospitals, it might work. I'll wait for their new network to go up online. And I'm scared to see what the monthly premium might be......

It's crazy..... more and more of us are losing the security of getting health insurance through employers, as more of us are working without benefits/contractors/part time/work for ourselves etc... And now the options are becoming fewer and fewer, and more and more expensive.

I hope those of you with insurance through your work realize how lucky you are.
I also wonder if your current schedule might allow for a part-time position with a large organization ( hospital, etc) that would provide decent insurance benefits, even if you'll pay more for those benefits than a full-time employee would..

I guess another alternative might be a catastrophic insurance plan, with very high deductables. that would cover you in the most extreme cases ( MVA victim, long-term hospitalization, severe illness, etc), but will leave you holding the bag for routine stuff..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 11:20 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Tedious is the word. This will be my 4th insurance change in 3 years.

Thanks for the info about the change in the Harken network. I was worried about that. Did they mention if RUSH will also leave the network? If there was at least ONE of the big hospitals, it might work. I'll wait for their new network to go up online. And I'm scared to see what the monthly premium might be......

It's crazy..... more and more of us are losing the security of getting health insurance through employers, as more of us are working without benefits/contractors/part time/work for ourselves etc... And now the options are becoming fewer and fewer, and more and more expensive.

I hope those of you with insurance through your work realize how lucky you are.
What about the other option?

Obamacare Increasing Medicaid Participation Rates, One of Crowning Achievements | Ramirez Group

Old 10-05-2016, 01:36 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,071,758 times
No No no.

You are all wrong.
I distinctly heard him say that "if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. PERIOD."

So you all must be confused.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:50 PM

313 posts, read 596,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I wonder if other hospitals ( the Catholic Resurrection medical centers, Advocate Lutheran, Evanston Hospital, etc) will still be options for you. Individual plans can be expensive, since you're paying the entire premium yourself, but I wonder if there are other HMO options that might still be palatable, even if their referral network doesn't include Rush, U of C or Northwestern. ..
Evanston Hospital is UC, Northshore University Health. I'm looking at what these plans cover, and from where I sit, the closest... 6, maybe? hospitals are all out of network if you're on the big ACA plans. Ouch. And they're getting another 50% price increase. Definitely death spiral territory.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:54 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,415,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
This thread is about choosing an insurance plan on the ACA Marketplace - not Medicaid.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:35 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,373,467 times
To answer various questions, in case it helps:

I am not sure about Rush staying in Harken's network in 2017 (they did not say anything about this on the phone and so far, we have not checked this out), but my guess would be no.

My understanding is that Advocate will stay in Harken's network in 2017, but (of course) verify this for yourselves. (For us, this is the one ray of light in the mess, since our primary care doctors have privileges at Advocate, and we are close to Advocate Christ Medical in Oak Lawn.)

And we already have high deductible plans.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
To answer various questions, in case it helps:

I am not sure about Rush staying in Harken's network in 2017 (they did not say anything about this on the phone and so far, we have not checked this out), but my guess would be no.

My understanding is that Advocate will stay in Harken's network in 2017, but (of course) verify this for yourselves. (For us, this is the one ray of light in the mess, since our primary care doctors have privileges at Advocate, and we are close to Advocate Christ Medical in Oak Lawn.)

And we already have high deductible plans.

Thanks again. It does help.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:23 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
No No no.

You are all wrong.
I distinctly heard him say that "if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. PERIOD."

So you all must be confused.
Yep, Obama would be a good used car salesman.

And don't forget this little gem... America was duped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV-05TLiiLU

Old 11-03-2016, 08:28 PM

So it's that time of year again - open enrollment.

Anyone with good things to say about their plan? Are you able to keep it for 2017?

If you have lost your plan this year (Land of Lincoln, Harken Health folks), what are you choosing for 2017?

Have you found a plan that includes one of the big Chicago hospitals (Northwestern, RUSH, University of Chicago)?

After losing both Land of Lincoln, and Harken Health this year, I was considering leaving the marketplace and buying outside of it in case this would be more stable. While Harken Health is leaving the Marketplace they will be offering individual plans. I checked their website offerings, and the closest similar plan to my current one would jump $100 higher in premium per month and has none of my doctors. It looks like the big hospitals are also out of network.

Oh well.

Old 11-06-2016, 03:04 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,373,467 times
We are still researching but it's looking bad (even on a high deductible) if we want the large hospitals in network. Right now our (very) tentative plan is to go with the Blue Cross Blue Shield plan that is linked to Advocate, since we are near an Advocate hospital and our primary care physicians are linked to Advocate. But it's very discouraging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago