Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 07:09 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,411,798 times

Advertisements

It looks like Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois - the monolith - has collapsed under the weight of the ACA plans and has decided to drop many of the best hospitals in Chicagoland from their Marketplace plan network to save $$. They are ending their Marketplace BCBS PPO plans that previously include Northwestern, Univ of Chicago, and RUSH hospitals in their network. So now, if you want to see docs at Northwestern Hospital and need to buy your own insurance, they are working with the little known (with a lot of complaints against...) Land of Lincoln PPO or Coventry PPO.

Curious how many out there who bought insurance on the Marketplace who have a shake up for the coming year? What plan are you leaving and what are you going to switch to?

Anyone with good things to say about a plan that they have been on.... that will survive in 2016?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 08:29 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,371,702 times
We have this problem and we're hating it at the moment. It was important to us to have Northwestern and/or U of C in the network (as well as our local primary care clinic), but they've all been eliminated now from our 2016 plans. We're going to meet in person with one of the insurance counselors tomorrow to get the lay of the land. It's extremely frustrating. We had BCBS-IL PPO individual, high-deductible HSA plans up until now.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:43 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,538 times
Really sorry to hear that. I had a BCBS ACA plan last year. I'm fortunate to have gotten a new job that provides health insurance.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:22 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,433 times
Aetna Medicaid plans dropped UIC too

Old 11-10-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
We have this problem and we're hating it at the moment. It was important to us to have Northwestern and/or U of C in the network (as well as our local primary care clinic), but they've all been eliminated now from our 2016 plans. We're going to meet in person with one of the insurance counselors tomorrow to get the lay of the land. It's extremely frustrating. We had BCBS-IL PPO individual, high-deductible HSA plans up until now.
Yup. This is a common complaint.

Are you meeting with an insurance counselor that works with your docs, or a private one working independently?

Old 11-11-2015, 05:14 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,371,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Are you meeting with an insurance counselor that works with your docs, or a private one working independently?
We are meeting with one that we located through this site, with the hope that they will have an overview:
https://www.healthcare.gov/

I am not very optimistic, but it's a start. (I hope.)

Old 11-11-2015, 10:33 AM

92 posts, read 160,737 times
BCBS dropped my Blue Choice Preferred Silver PPO-103. In a letter I was told I could move to a new plan with similar benefits but this new plan is $70 more per month ($227 to $297). I went down to a BCBS Bronze plan that is $9 more than my Silver plan.

The private health in$urance $y$tem sucks. Enough said.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:34 AM

BCBS dropped my Blue Choice Preferred Silver PPO-103. In a letter I was told I could move to a new plan with similar benefits but this new plan is $70 more per month ($227 to $297). I went down to a BCBS Bronze plan that is $9 more than my Silver plan.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifelong Chicagoan View Post

Are your doctors still going to accept the new plan next year?

Old 11-12-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Are your doctors still going to accept the new plan next year?
I do believe he is. I don't go to the doctor that often. My first introduction to doctors not being in plans is when I went from company provided insurance to then having to get it on my own.

Before the ACA went into effect I had a plan called under the Pre-existing condition insurance plan (PCIP). I paid $150/mo and it covered a lot and I was able to have surgery at Evanston Hospital. I miss that plan and now am out of network with Northshore Univ. Health System.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago