Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 11:12 AM

2,196 posts, read 1,873,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
If someone is just looking to rent, I would definitely not classify Lincoln Park as “very expensive.” Its prices for apartments are middle of the pack, and cheaper than what you will find in the Loop, West Loop, River North, Old Town, and most of the Gold Coast. The reason being is that there tend to be much fewer “new/modern” apartments in LP. However, you can find some nice gems. I live in a building that is completely modern/renovated inside, even though the building is older. There is no doorman, gym, etc, but I’m more than happy with the price savings and still being able to live in a beautiful neighborhood like Lincoln Park.

It’s such a big misconception that LP is expensive for renting. Now if you want to buy a townhome in LP, those usually start at $1 million, so then it becomes expensive. But it is no more expensive to rent than many of the popular neighborhoods. I will say that Lakeview is even more of a bargain than LP though, as are Uptown/Edgewater.
That is fair - I think purchasing is really different from renting in LP, price wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 02:12 PM

5,017 posts, read 3,947,436 times
In the middle-upper crust- And i've been pretty adamant on this forum- I think Glenview is underrated compared to some of its peers. The market is quite hot, and has pushed well beyond neighbors due north, so I suppose this is fairly CD specific kickback. But having lived in multiple suburbs north, I find a pretty remarkable balance in Glenview. Ton of conveniences, different neighborhoods and price points, some diversity, incredible parks, top tier public facilities, three train stations (including Golf), and access to the city. East Glenview is elite, the center of Glenview is beautiful, and the western and north western reaches are more realistic for middle-upper class buyers. I wouldn't contend that Western Glenview is beautiful, but I would contend that it's highly liveable but at a fraction of the Glenview price. And a fraction of a fraction relative to Wilmette.

I'd also argue that Western Springs is a beautiful pocket of the Illinois suburbs. On this forum, you hear quite a bit about La Grange and Hinsdale. The way I see it, Western Springs can take advantage of both DT Hinsdale and DT La Grange and then return to their Tier 1 neighborhood with fantastic schools without the Hinsdale premium. Sure, there is huge benefit to being able to walk to DT LG or DT Hinsdale, but if you don't have that immediate walkability or the extra csh, then Western Springs is a great alternative. Something I really like about that place as I've spent more time.

The last would be Arlington Heights. I don't know if it's simply just been so big for so long, or that Naperville has outpaced it in growth and transformation and thus popularity.. But Central Arlington Heights is almost Universally very nice. Great parks and rec, great schools, classic neighborhoods that don't come off as Brady Brunch as many other towns . The Downtown is on the shortlist of best and most functional here in Chicagoland. Multiple train stops. Plenty of good food and local conveniences. The obvious con to AH is that it sits on the wrong side of the 90/94 splits.. Major traffic and backup, significantly less convenient into the city compared to eastern towns like Northbrook or Glenview.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:29 PM

9,915 posts, read 9,628,449 times
I moved out to the suburbs, and to me, everything is beautiful! i watch the Chicago news, (news of what's happening in the city that i left) and they have the news stories about shootings, people being punched, apparently just for fun, robberies, marches, etc. and I am so glad none of that is happening here.

Oh, the worse we have here is when two squirrels chase each other on my balcony, because one is approaching his food bowl (birdseed for the birds but the squirrels steal it - that's about the extent of crime here). I actually have a ton of joy to see the birds and squirrels prance around on my balcony!

So peaceful, i got out before summertime because I do not know what will happen. I had lived a block away from a store being arsoned last summer. I never felt totally safe because i was apprehensive to leave my home during last summer's riots. I might be able to leave downtown but who knows if the streets would be blocked when i got home, as the bridges over the river were kept open and that screwed up traffic somewhat.

I hope the worst we see out here for protesting is a line of 10 soccer moms with signs along the busy street.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:44 PM

4,664 posts, read 3,300,126 times
ChicagoMeO, bless you!

I love hearing how well things turned out for you. Much different than when you lived in the city, even though I know there were things you loved about the city, too.

I am in Niles this weekend. I am sad to say that the hotels I use on Touhy Avenue, in Skokie and Niles, have definitely changed for the worse in the last couple of years.

The clientele that are utilizing these hotels are not the same caliber of what I remember when I started coming down here regularly in 2012.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:23 PM

504 posts, read 499,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
In the middle-upper crust- And i've been pretty adamant on this forum- I think Glenview is underrated compared to some of its peers. The market is quite hot, and has pushed well beyond neighbors due north, so I suppose this is fairly CD specific kickback. But having lived in multiple suburbs north, I find a pretty remarkable balance in Glenview. Ton of conveniences, different neighborhoods and price points, some diversity, incredible parks, top tier public facilities, three train stations (including Golf), and access to the city. East Glenview is elite, the center of Glenview is beautiful, and the western and north western reaches are more realistic for middle-upper class buyers. I wouldn't contend that Western Glenview is beautiful, but I would contend that it's highly liveable but at a fraction of the Glenview price. And a fraction of a fraction relative to Wilmette.

I'd also argue that Western Springs is a beautiful pocket of the Illinois suburbs. On this forum, you hear quite a bit about La Grange and Hinsdale. The way I see it, Western Springs can take advantage of both DT Hinsdale and DT La Grange and then return to their Tier 1 neighborhood with fantastic schools without the Hinsdale premium. Sure, there is huge benefit to being able to walk to DT LG or DT Hinsdale, but if you don't have that immediate walkability or the extra csh, then Western Springs is a great alternative. Something I really like about that place as I've spent more time.

The last would be Arlington Heights. I don't know if it's simply just been so big for so long, or that Naperville has outpaced it in growth and transformation and thus popularity.. But Central Arlington Heights is almost Universally very nice. Great parks and rec, great schools, classic neighborhoods that don't come off as Brady Brunch as many other towns . The Downtown is on the shortlist of best and most functional here in Chicagoland. Multiple train stops. Plenty of good food and local conveniences. The obvious con to AH is that it sits on the wrong side of the 90/94 splits.. Major traffic and backup, significantly less convenient into the city compared to eastern towns like Northbrook or Glenview.
Not that I like AH very much (outside of some beer and Japanese food), the express train into the city is pretty great.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:50 PM

9,915 posts, read 9,628,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
ChicagoMeO, bless you!

I love hearing how well things turned out for you. Much different than when you lived in the city, even though I know there were things you loved about the city, too.

I am in Niles this weekend. I am sad to say that the hotels I use on Touhy Avenue, in Skokie and Niles, have definitely changed for the worse in the last couple of years.

The clientele that are utilizing these hotels are not the same caliber of what I remember when I started coming down here regularly in 2012.
i heard that area was once a long time ago, (Lincoln Ave which has a lot of motels), it was the street that brought people from up north to downtown chicago. so they made those motels. they are truly retro 1950 type! The now torn-down Purple Hotel on Touhy and Lincoln got torn down, guessing they were used for shady purposes.

Old 05-23-2021, 08:01 PM

3,485 posts, read 3,408,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
i heard that area was once a long time ago, (Lincoln Ave which has a lot of motels), it was the street that brought people from up north to downtown chicago. so they made those motels. they are truly retro 1950 type! The now torn-down Purple Hotel on Touhy and Lincoln got torn down, guessing they were used for shady purposes.
The Purple Hotel was affiliated with Radisson, for years. But before it closed, it lost its affiliation with Radisson, which was a sign that whoever was running that place probably wasn't keeping up minimum quality standards for the building. And right before it closed down, it simply went by the name Purple Hotel before closing for good. IIRC from online articles, it originally opened under some other hotel chain. I think Hyatt? But I can't remember for sure, since that hotel's grand opening was before I was born. I'll let one of the older posters correct me, if it didn't originally open as Hyatt.

As for that Holiday Inn on Touhy, that place always did have mixed online reviews. Also there are some hotels with good reviews not too far north, i.e. the Hampton Inn on Old Orchard Rd. Most of those hotels and motels that were on Touhy or near it(i.e. the mom and pop hotel just west of the YMCA, and also that one on Milwaukee south of Touhy), looked like older buildings anyway where who knows if they've been kept up well.

BTW if you still want to be near Touhy Ave and the Village Crossing area, if you don't mind driving a little bit west and slightly past the forest preserve, there is a BRAND NEW(within 5 years or less, anyway) Holiday Inn Express at Milwaukee and Waukegan, just north of Touhy. I wouldn't be surprised if that place is nicer, than the Holiday Inn just east of Village Crossing shopping center.

Old 05-23-2021, 09:05 PM

Hello as a very frequent visitor I can tell you I've seen changes even in the Holiday Express on Waukegan and Milwaukee, from time to time.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:23 PM

9 posts, read 8,503 times
I grew up in Lincolnwood decades ago.

It was a safe, low tax, near to the city area.

It had been developed in the 1930s as "Lincolnwood" after it was called Tessville for many years. The WPA planted 10,000 trees, and the streets were laid out.

After WWII, it was built up quickly with very solid ranch houses, bi-levels, and the more prestigious houses in the Towers.

The ethnicity was quite Jewish, but not as high as people believed. Many were Irish, German, Greek, Italian-Americans.

The village was 99% white. There were hardly any Asians (Chinese, Indians, etc.).

And the school system with its unique campus of three schools (Todd, Rutledge and Lincoln) was highly regarded.

Only the con side, there was, and is, no downtown. And today the population is predominately Asian-American and the schools are still considered excellent, though the property taxes have shot up substantially and there are many ugly, ostentatious and garish new houses that look like they were built without an architect present.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:36 PM

marcobed, good day,

I was curious and looked up a source online regarding Lincolnwood's demographics. It appeared a little more than 60% of residents are Caucasian; and a little less than 30% of residents are Asian.

I am going to go on a limb and guess that Lincolnwood is as safe now as it was when you grew up there.

There is no downtown, but their Proesel Park looks very nice. The swimming pool/park looks phenomenal. I missed Lincolnwood Fest this year. Maybe I can catch it next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago