Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 07:24 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,250,689 times

Advertisements

Sprintbox, if the weather is nice, maybe I'll bring my bicycle down and ride around.

A sandwich from Tony's Deli sounds really good!!

I bring a group of people down a couple times to bicycle in the city. I'd really like to take them to the Italian section of Harlem Avenue. I've biked it alone a few times, and once with a buddy. But I don't think it is a good route for a group.

I mean, maybe we could take Oak Park Avenue just south of I90 to about Irving Park, and go south as far as North Avenue.... or maybe the stretch one block either west or east of Harlem (does it go THAT far, without being cut off?).

Any other ideas how to get from Norwood Park to that Italian stretch of Harlem?

Thank you/Gratzie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 08:04 PM

73 posts, read 33,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Sprintbox, if the weather is nice, maybe I'll bring my bicycle down and ride around.

A sandwich from Tony's Deli sounds really good!!

I bring a group of people down a couple times to bicycle in the city. I'd really like to take them to the Italian section of Harlem Avenue. I've biked it alone a few times, and once with a buddy. But I don't think it is a good route for a group.

I mean, maybe we could take Oak Park Avenue just south of I90 to about Irving Park, and go south as far as North Avenue.... or maybe the stretch one block either west or east of Harlem (does it go THAT far, without being cut off?).

Any other ideas how to get from Norwood Park to that Italian stretch of Harlem?

Thank you/Gratzie
Prego

Oak Park Ave isn't bad, but when I would cycle around there (I lived basically Harlem and Grand) I almost always took the side streets. The pace is great to stop and see nice houses and I could zig-zag through different streets.

I like Riviera on Harlem and Belmont next to Taco Burrito King. Notolli's on Belmont is also a great place for a sub.

Try to hit IL Giardino Del Dolce on Harlem and George for a tasty bakery item!

Old 03-30-2021, 08:35 PM

Sprintbox. I finally was able to partake in the area recently. I took my dad to Bar Tucci. They were phenomenal with us. I love all my Chicago experiences. Everyone is always great with me. But hey, I'm Master Jay!

So maybe I'll take my group this summer down Oak Park Avenue. Unless someone feels Cumberland is a better bike ride???

My other plan for my group is to bike Chicago Botanical Garden to CHICAGO!

Old 03-30-2021, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Sprintbox. I finally was able to partake in the area recently. I took my dad to Bar Tucci. They were phenomenal with us. I love all my Chicago experiences. Everyone is always great with me. But hey, I'm Master Jay!

So maybe I'll take my group this summer down Oak Park Avenue. Unless someone feels Cumberland is a better bike ride???

My other plan for my group is to bike Chicago Botanical Garden to CHICAGO!

Cumberland is definitely a wider and more trafficked street than Oak Park. Nice forest preserves there. Not much else really in my opinion.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:09 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
Aurora is seriously underrated. Downtown started booming a few years ago. Fortunately the pandemic hasn't slowed down momentum much. Projects have still been continuing, though at a slower pace. There's also redevelopment occurring citywide.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:06 AM

3,446 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintbox View Post
Overrated:

Naperville
Schaumburg
Large part of McHenry County
I'm curious, what did you think about McHenry County that was overrated? Maybe for all I know Woodstock might be a tad overrated, but it seemed neither overrated nor underrated to me, the times I've explored it via Metra UP-Northwest Line trips I've taken out there myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I could not stand some of the people in naperville. I use to work downtown Naperville and they would have "Naperville" parties and loathe over each other and how great Naperville was.

Orland was a nice area for a while. After they closed down Matteson mall, Orland Mall became ghetto. The pace bus would go to Chicago Heights then just drop off these random people off that would loiter at the mall. The rest is history.
Last year, I visited Orland Square. Yes I am aware they had that shooting, but it doesn't mean it's become a crap mall to go to. I did notice after that shooting, that Orland Park Police had stepped up the security at that mall, vs. my last visit there before that shooting occurred. And as they were able to attract Von Maur to replace Carson's, I think that mall is FAR from dead. That said I am aware AMC Theaters isn't in the greatest financial condition, so I do wonder if they ever will construct a proposed movie theater to replace Sears? When I visited last year, the old Sears still stood, and was yet to be demolished.

Quote:
Yes, Harlem Ave is a major street and it'll take you WAY down to the southern burbs. But even close to Norridge, it'll get you (HARLEM) to Elmwood Park, or Edison Park.

I so miss that area. I hope to make my way back there to finish off the rest of my life eventually.
I agree with you, that the Harlem Ave area between North Ave(starting in the Galewood neighborhood, and with Elmwood Park on the other side) up to Norridge has some good hidden gem places that were cool to visit. From some of the places others mentioned both on Harlem and slightly off of Harlem(i.e. Il Giardino Del Dolce, Caputo's, Mr. Beef, Nottoli and Son), to also other places others forgot to say(i.e. Rex Deli in Norridge, and same with Video Games Then and Now being a cool store to visit).

BTW to Master Jay, I'd say as far as safety goes, that Oak Park Ave would be safer to bike on vs. either Harlem or Cumberland. I like biking a lot myself, but short of biking on the sidewalk(technically illegal mind you, but in rare cases I've biked on sidewalks since my #1 goal when biking is to NOT get killed, and become the next bicyclist getting hit and killed by a car statistic), I wouldn't dream of biking on either of those 2 streets! However if you do explore Cumberland Ave, The Blossom Cafe in Norridge is a GREAT hidden gem of a diner to visit. I remember a friend took me there once, and it was a better diner than I thought it'd be like myself! Blossom Cafe is located in a strip mall on the southeast corner of Lawrence and Cumberland, immediately south of where the Mobil gas station is at that intersection. For whatever reason, I had never heard of that diner, until my friend took me there. Also I've ALWAYS wanted to check out the German restaurant Edelweiss that is out in Norridge, but hadn't made it there yet. Rolling Stones is a cool old school CD and music and DVD store, that I'm glad still hangs on to this day. LOVE the ceiling decor and neon, inside there!

I also have to add Elgin is underrated, too. To me I get that weird sense that there are a few very loud vocal people who always like to whine about Elgin, but I think it's better than those internet detractors say. I went out there in 2019 for Open Elgin(it's their architectural open house event, that's the equivalent to Doors Open Milwaukee and Open House Chicago), and their downtown surprised me. Also, Elgin Public House is a pretty decent restaurant and bar.

Old 03-31-2021, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I'm curious, what did you think about McHenry County that was overrated? Maybe for all I know Woodstock might be a tad overrated, but it seemed neither overrated nor underrated to me, the times I've explored it via Metra UP-Northwest Line trips I've taken out there myself.

Extreme racism and bigotry, poor quality schools, lack of quality restaurants, entertainment is difficult to find nearby, big box stores have closed (Target, Best Buy, Big R which became something else at it closed up as well), drugs, drugs, drugs, prices at many places are actually higher than in Chicago.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:20 AM

720 posts, read 1,084,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I also have to add Elgin is underrated, too. To me I get that weird sense that there are a few very loud vocal people who always like to whine about Elgin, but I think it's better than those internet detractors say. I went out there in 2019 for Open Elgin(it's their architectural open house event, that's the equivalent to Doors Open Milwaukee and Open House Chicago), and their downtown surprised me. Also, Elgin Public House is a pretty decent restaurant and bar.
Elgin is great. I would argue it is better than Aurora in many respects of the two large "anchor cities" of the Fox Valley.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:36 AM

SonySegaTendo617, I like the spaciousness of Cumberland (isn't there like an amazing Orthodox church over there?).

Also, I like the city feel of Harlem, but as you said, I want to make sure everyone is alive for the whole trip!

So maybe we will take Oak Park Avenue form Higgins, and south to the Italian area.

Thank you for the tip!

Old 04-02-2021, 11:16 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Lol....

I find the Norridge area overlooked for its cleanliness and closeness to food/stores. It retains its ethnicity as well. It's certainly close to both downtown and O'Hare as well. And forest preserves are nearby as well. Have a great day as well!
I don't recall much about Norridge except for a rather dated shopping plaza on Harlem Avenue which contained a dumpy old movie theater... not sure if any of that is still around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago