Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 10:03 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times

Advertisements

Good morning, team!!

Welllllllllll, here we go.... I have been employed in the court and jail system for the last 12 years. About 10 years ago, Milwaukee County started using a new model for recommendation of bail setting. Since then, it has become utilized in many other counties in our State, and seems to be moving forward thusly. It is called the PSA (Public Safety Assessment). It's claim is that it is evidence based. I have seen it make some changes in the last few years.

It is designed to protect the community from offenders (reoffenders), based on factors such as criminal history (taking into account if any were violent offenses), as well as current open cases when a new offense takes place, failures to appear, etc. A commissioner or judge is not bound to follow said recommendations, yet probably is followed 80% or more.

So I am wondering if Illinois is trying to follow a similar model?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 10:22 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I'm curious, why is this a non issue? First state in the nation to end cash bail. That seems like a pretty big deal. What makes this a non issue?
Correcting disparities looks different to people who are used to operating within/benefitting from disparities.

Old 09-12-2022, 10:27 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
So I am wondering if Illinois is trying to follow a similar model?
"The SAFE-T Act states that all defendants “shall be presumed eligible” for pretrial release unless prosecutors present “clear and convincing” evidence to deny the suspect pretrial release, such as proof that the suspect committed the crime and poses a threat to the physical safety of a “specific, identifiable” person. Prosecutors are required to submit a request for detention if the offender committed a crime that poses a significant threat to public safety of an individual or community. The state is also required to provide each suspect a hearing within 48 hours to determine if the suspect should be released."
https://www.capitolnewsillinois.com/...it-has-evolved

Old 09-12-2022, 11:52 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times
Sunbiz1, trail and error. HOPEFULLY if this new proposal proves a failure, a law can be made to amend it!

I only pray that things will seem almost "too broke to fix it!"

Old 09-12-2022, 11:57 AM

The thing with stuff like this is the people in power have probably built in loopholes or figured out how to keep their people from being held accountable. Nothing really changes. It's a great headline, though.

Old 09-12-2022, 01:37 PM

3,922 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Correcting disparities looks different to people who are used to operating within/benefitting from disparities.
The way I see it, the only people to benefit from this law are those who have zero savings who are suspected of committing crimes. I'd be curious to see how many non bailed suspects are jailed and then proven innocent after their first court appearance, those are the people this is trying to protect (which I understand). The movie "My Cousin Vinny" comes to mind...

However, that to me sounds like a very rare case. I'm sure most suspects who are arrested are done so because there is enough evidence to suggest they were involved in some way. I'd rather pay people who are wrongfully jailed for a few days then to let someone go free on bail without some reason to report back. Can we at least ankle bracelet them so they can't disappear?

Old 09-12-2022, 02:23 PM

253 posts, read 198,793 times
1.)Chicago is not a warzone.

2.)This new system sucks.

Old 09-12-2022, 02:40 PM

You can believe what you want. I've been pulled over for bs, made to wait for a long time (because they're looking for dirt), only to have them be angry when they couldn't find anything & ticket me for something like "failure to stop for the butterfly crossing the street." The system is abused the most by people who complain about changes being "unfair". Attempts to level the playing field is criminal to you, eh? Rhetorical.

Old 09-13-2022, 06:40 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
1.)Chicago is not a warzone.

2.)This new system sucks.
Chicago’s “reputation” is that it is a war zone, hence the moniker “Chiraq” and the same titled film by Spike Lee (who I don’t think is a conservative). Chicago leads the country in murders every year, with more than NYC and LA combined, despite having a significantly smaller population than each.

This will not help and will only perpetuate the crime and lawlessness that has sullied the reputation of this city, which was once great.

Many successful people who once loved this city and moved to this city, have fled because of the crime and lawlessness since 2020. This city is becoming unrecognizable from the city I grew up loving, and this will only make things worse.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:24 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Tell us, who do you think will disparately bear the negative impact of the new system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: