Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 03:55 PM

15 posts, read 16,555 times

Advertisements

So, I posted on the Houston,Texas forum the other day and boy have we been doing some serious soul searching and back and forth. I'm glad we are talking because at this stage in our lives this will be our last move before retirement. We are still a young 40 but don't want to move many more times.

We talked about all of the pros and cons of moving to Chicago and just couldn't convince ourselves that living in Houston and owning multiple cars is something we would be happy with long-term. Now, I've lived in Chicago. I lived in multiple neighborhoods. I was there for about ten years and miss Chicago on a daily basis. So, how bad is the CTA today with the ghost buses and delays? I used the CTA thousands of times and was very happy with it. So, honest opinion on CTA reliability and safety? What's the truth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2023, 04:29 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
The CTA is generally pretty reliable during the week. Occasional delays. Weekends are much less reliable, I'm finding.

My experience is almost exclusively on the Brown Line. It's the safest line, and during the day I have zero trepidation riding it. Late at night I'm more aware of who is in the car, etc, but I haven't had trouble even then. My 22 yo daughter rides it a lot, at all hours. She's had a couple of sketchy interactions but has never been assaulted or anything like that.

There have been incidents on Red and Green in particular. I hear the Green line is really bad once you go past West Loop, like a drug exchange. Red is bad south of downtown, and sometimes that carries over to "nicer" spots. I'm glad I ride the Brown.

I'm not sure about Blue. I think it's in between, safety wise.

Old 01-18-2023, 04:35 PM

That's basically what I expected. The last place I lived at in Chicago was at Claremont & Addison, in Roscoe Village, and I used the Brown Line then. I've used the Red Line from Bryan Mawr all the way to Sox-35th., and even the Blue Line (O'Hare branch) from Logan Square to The Loop. The Brown Line has always been my favorite. That is the area we will most likely move to when we make the move.

Old 01-18-2023, 06:11 PM

33 posts, read 34,820 times
Default Glad you asked....

https://www.wbez.org/stories/chicago...5-8923fe433449

Old 01-18-2023, 06:58 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
MichWolverines1983, wow, you took me back!

I had a cousin that lived near Claremont and Addison!

Cool neighborhood.

Old 01-18-2023, 07:07 PM

I actually read that today. I've actually read a lot on the topic. That's why I wanted to post here and get a real world perspective on how it really is from people who live there with no agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
MichWolverines1983, wow, you took me back!

I had a cousin that lived near Claremont and Addison!

Cool neighborhood.
My pleasure! It is a cool neighborhood. I think my fiance from New Hampshire will love it.

Old 01-18-2023, 07:20 PM

828 posts, read 449,685 times
The CTA is usually decently reliable but the ghost trains and busses at times can just be infuriating. Just a few days ago I remember waiting 25 minutes for an Ohare bound blue line train when it was still bright outside. Though I will say it’s not as bad as it was a few months ago and the CTA seems to be taking steps to help so that’s good.

As for safety, you will hear stories from many people all the time but 99% of rides are non-events. Just keep to yourself, don’t be overtly flashy, and stay out of bad areas and you should avoid most encounters. I’m sure you already know this since you’ve lived in the city before. As others have said the Brown line is usually the safest and most comfortable ride but it’s pretty slow. I usually take the brown line if I have time for comfort/the views and the red line if I’m in a rush.

Old 01-19-2023, 06:57 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichWolverines1983 View Post
My pleasure! It is a cool neighborhood. I think my fiance from New Hampshire will love it.
Sorry for the dumb question in advance but you might want to bring her up for a visit and look around first if she's never been there or lived in that level of urban setting.

Best of luck with it all.

Old 01-19-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sorry for the dumb question in advance but you might want to bring her up for a visit and look around first if she's never been there or lived in that level of urban setting.

Best of luck with it all.
Not a dumb question at all. She has actually lived in Boston and we currently live in Nashville. Definitely not the same as Chicago but she is aware of the differences. She isn't a clueless 18 year old. We definitely have plans to visit so I can show her around. I would never ask her to move site unseen.

Old 02-05-2023, 05:57 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichWolverines1983 View Post
I actually read that today. I've actually read a lot on the topic. That's why I wanted to post here and get a real world perspective on how it really is from people who live there with no agenda.

The wbez survey is a larger sample size providing real world perspective by people who actually live here.

If your baseline of the CTA is pre-COVID, you will be shocked at how much less service there is, how much dirtier the trains are, how often you deal with people smoking on the trains, etc. I’ve started taking metra and paying for an Uber given how often it takes me 30 minutes of waiting just to board a blue line train from the loop in the evening (even with reduced ridership, 10-15 minute headways on a line that was 2-3 min at rush hour is no where near enough).

The only people I know who seem satisfied with the CTA right now moved her in the past three years and compared to Tulsa or Columbus, sure it’s better.

I spent my entire adult life generally happy with the CTA, lived car free for a decade, etc. But it’s just no where near what it was right now and there doesn’t seem to be any serious desire to get it back there. And what’s scary / pathetic is this is occurring when we still have hundreds of millions in federal money bridging the revenue gap from the loss of ridership. How much worse will it be in 2 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago