Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 01:09 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustBeltOptimist View Post
The best German food I've had was at Mader's in Milwaukee. I've only had brief layovers in the old country itself, but I'm a fan of the food typically. I do make it to Oktoberfest once or twice every year.
But Octoberfest is not food, that is a picnic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 01:15 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,300,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
When I visited Germany and they served me cold hard sliced sausage, what I called thuringer for breakfast, a hard sliced cheese, and a roll I couldn't even break, I decided they were in the disabled cuisine catagory. So I won't lament over German cuisine. Probably liked the liver and onions as much as anything. At least liver and onions along with kartoffeln fill you up.
In the US our treatment of international cuisine is a bit misleading. We turn dishes that are reserved for special occasions in their homeland into take out. The menu at your typical Indian or Thai restaurant, for example, is not a good cross section of what most people in those countries eat on a daily basis. The Indian guys I went to graduate school with always talked about how many of the dishes served at Ambar India in Clifton were generally only served to very wealthy people or on very special occasions back in India. They even seemed a bit offended by the fact that we would order them as carry out and then eat them in the conference room during meetings.

I have always liked the idea of casually enjoying delicacies, like a caviar corn dog, a six pack of Dom Perignon cans, or black truffle bubble gum.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
In the US our treatment of international cuisine is a bit misleading. We turn dishes that are reserved for special occasions in their homeland into take out. The menu at your typical Indian or Thai restaurant, for example, is not a good cross section of what most people in those countries eat on a daily basis. The Indian guys I went to graduate school with always talked about how many of the dishes served at Ambar India in Clifton were generally only served to very wealthy people or on very special occasions back in India. They even seemed a bit offended by the fact that we would order them as carry out and then eat them in the conference room during meetings.

I have always liked the idea of casually enjoying delicacies, like a caviar corn dog, a six pack of Dom Perignon cans, or black truffle bubble gum.
I understand that. But the reason is most people in the US would barf at what the daily cuisine in foreign countries is. So if we don't serve a hopped up version of their delicacies none of the food would get served here. Now practicality of price, etc. may mean these foods come short of their delicacies. But believe me their daily fare we would just walk away from. Take Japan for example, what percentage of Japanese do you feel enjoy sushi. A damn small amount, that's what. I ate a fair amount of Japanese daily fare and couldn't wait to get to a McDonalds.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:25 AM

I have enjoyed many of the comments in this thread concerning carryout. Would like to see more people join in and comment on what they look for in carryout. Mine is primarily pizza and Mexican with an occasional Chinese thrown in. I don't consider Blue Ash Chili carryout, that is a staple I just buy there rather than the grocery store. Same with Skyline.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:42 PM

148 posts, read 213,488 times
One of my favs is Moe's Southwest Burritos in the Deerfield strip (Mason area) for their 'Homewrecker' burrito, on sale for $6 every Monday ('Moe's Mondays'). Largest burrito among the chains, and the flavor is more customizable due to many more fresh add-on options. Plus free chips and salsa (numerous varieties). I switched over to Moe's when I got tired of the Chipotle flavor.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:55 PM

^^^ Frankly I have never been to Chipotle. I prefer the smaller outfits, meaning non-chain.

But it sounds like I need to give Moe's a try.

Last edited by kjbrill; 06-04-2014 at 03:17 PM..

Old 06-04-2014, 04:12 PM

268 posts, read 371,738 times
Well, since Mecklenburg's was mentioned, I'll add that my single favorite eating event in Cincy is at Meck's, the 2nd Saturday of every month (the next one is June 14th). Cold and hot buffet, with lunchmeats and cheeses, hard-boiled eggs, several hot sausages (weisswurst, mettwurst, hot mettwurst, bratwurst, goettawurst, etc), mashed potatoes, kraut, hot slaw, and soft pretzels, all for $11 plus drinks (and Meck's has a pretty good tap). Starts at 11AM. We go every single month, unless we're out of town.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryOn View Post
Well, since Mecklenburg's was mentioned, I'll add that my single favorite eating event in Cincy is at Meck's, the 2nd Saturday of every month (the next one is June 14th). Cold and hot buffet, with lunchmeats and cheeses, hard-boiled eggs, several hot sausages (weisswurst, mettwurst, hot mettwurst, bratwurst, goettawurst, etc), mashed potatoes, kraut, hot slaw, and soft pretzels, all for $11 plus drinks (and Meck's has a pretty good tap). Starts at 11AM. We go every single month, unless we're out of town.
Sounds good. But one thing definitely changes when you get older, your capacity for food. My favorite local place, Blue Ash Chili has a ham&beef doubledecker I truly love. But these days I can only eat half of one and put the other half away for lunch the next day. There was a time when I could down two of them. There is no way I could eat $11 worth of sausage. One good sausage and I am done. And other items like mashed potatoes and kraut just fill me up faster.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:54 AM

268 posts, read 371,738 times
^^^ With the sausages, they're all cut up in pieces (except for the weisswurst), so they're already thinking of you.

I actually prefer the cold buffet, and I pace myself. We get there at 10AMish and then leave about 2PMish. A nibble here, a bite there, and it all works out. The best thing, though, is the social aspect, and Meck's beer garden is very pleasant.

To get back to carryout, I like to have the roast beef with hard-boiled egg sandwich at Red Squirrel in Queensgate, and the friend chicken at Richie's over on Linn is pretty good.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:20 AM

465 posts, read 659,117 times
I'll second the Richie's opinion, along with Hitching Post and Ron's Roost it's one of the reasons why I think fried chicken is something the city seems to do pretty well. I haven't tried Red Squirrel yet, it sounds like I should, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati