Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 06:34 PM

74 posts, read 82,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincygrad2015 View Post
For parks I would say Devou (in Kentucky but has the best view of the skyline imo), Ault (Hyde Park). Eden(Mt. Adams), Washington Park(OTR) and my personal favorite is Smale(riverfront) but there’s so many more great parks to choose from. There’s also a ton of dog parks around the city.

I actually live in Madisonville. I bought my house in 2016 and really love the neighborhood. It’s right next to Oakley/Hyde Park. So for the price (it’s quickly going up though) it’s a great option to Oakley/Hyde Park. If you are more into the artsy hipster scene then Northside is definitely the best option.
We made a point to go to Devou the first time we were there in 2017! Great views. Also love the riverfront. We were accidentally there during the BLINK festival and it was amazing.

Oh, good to hear you like that area! I think we'll focus on those two. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 08:09 PM

90 posts, read 118,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desirepaths View Post
We made a point to go to Devou the first time we were there in 2017! Great views. Also love the riverfront. We were accidentally there during the BLINK festival and it was amazing.

Oh, good to hear you like that area! I think we'll focus on those two. Thanks again!
No problem! Hopefully Cincy will be the winner!

Old 07-25-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
No problem! Hopefully Cincy will be the winner!
I'll be sure to update this thread!

Old 07-27-2020, 11:48 AM

162 posts, read 150,642 times
Quote:
Ohh I really wanted to visit Pittsburgh too. I think I would like it. It's funny, our goal was to get away from the long, gray winters but I'm so drawn to midwest and northeast cities!

We will be staying in Clifton next week. Do you have a favorite park in Cincy? I've done some preliminary research, but if you have any suggestions for what we should do to get a feel for neighborhoods that is reasonable for covid times, I'd be all ears. Thanks for your input!
Sorry I am just now getting to you.

There are a lot of great parks in Cincinnati. Because I live so close to the Mount Airy Forest, I will usually go for a jog/hike there after work for the trails. As far as amenities go I really like Eden Park in Mount Adams and Ault in Mount Lookout and if you're downtown, Smale Riverfront Park is newer and has added additions since its inception 10-15 years ago. Washington Park in Over-the-Rhine is great and there are several streetcar stops in its vicinity. Smale Riverfront Park and Washington Park are newer as part of neighborhood revitalizations, and have great quality materials that were used during construction, and you can hope on the streetcar at both parks to get around. Bellevue Hill Park is nice with regards to the views of the city. In Bellevue Hill you are north of the city looking directly south over OTR and downtown - with the old dense architecture across such a wide area you see why OTR and Pendleton are one of the largest intact historic districts in the country. You can also find some nice parks along the Little Miami River as well. Cincinnati and Hamilton County have a great parks system, and the city of Cincinnati is consistently ranked as one of the best city park systems in the US each year.

This year, Cincinnati ranked 5th (KC ranked 32):

https://www.tpl.org/parkscore

I won't post too many links because links on this site are usually posted by posters who try too hard to give their city an image to fit the agenda they are trying to get across.

Like I said before, I think Cincinnati is just an overall better city in almost every regard to Kansas City. Cincinnati has smaller city limits and didn't annex a bunch of land like KC did, so the city is more dense and has more lively neighborhoods in a geographically smaller area. Cincinnati has a more active downtown surrounded by neighborhoods like OTR and Pendleton that have architecture you will not find in KC. The "basin" area is connected by the streetcar which flows through different streets within the downtown/OTR area (it's only a dollar, but council voted to make it fare free).

To me, architecture is art. You have the restored Cincinnati Union Terminal, newly restored Cincinnati Music Hall, and to be able to walk down Vine, Race, Walnut or Main Street and be surrounded by such beautifully restored architecture and see downtown rising in the distance is a really something unique in my opinion:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1106...4!8i8192?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1104...4!8i8192?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ed....5132524?hl=en

The new FC Cincinnati stadium is under construction in the West End not far from Cincinnati Music Hall. I am glad they built it here instead of another sports stadium along the riverfront. As the riverfront continues to grow and The Banks neighborhood gets more diversified with different residents, businesses and cultural additions like the new music venue underway, it will make everything that much better. I hate that COVID has made everything such a down year (obviously we are taking the right precautions with everything being shut down), but Cincinnati has such a wealth of outdoor activities with the parks and new developments that have happened over the years, and being a part of those is quite the experience.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseofPlace View Post
Sorry I am just now getting to you.

There are a lot of great parks in Cincinnati. Because I live so close to the Mount Airy Forest, I will usually go for a jog/hike there after work for the trails. As far as amenities go I really like Eden Park in Mount Adams and Ault in Mount Lookout and if you're downtown, Smale Riverfront Park is newer and has added additions since its inception 10-15 years ago. Washington Park in Over-the-Rhine is great and there are several streetcar stops in its vicinity. Smale Riverfront Park and Washington Park are newer as part of neighborhood revitalizations, and have great quality materials that were used during construction, and you can hope on the streetcar at both parks to get around. Bellevue Hill Park is nice with regards to the views of the city. In Bellevue Hill you are north of the city looking directly south over OTR and downtown - with the old dense architecture across such a wide area you see why OTR and Pendleton are one of the largest intact historic districts in the country. You can also find some nice parks along the Little Miami River as well. Cincinnati and Hamilton County have a great parks system, and the city of Cincinnati is consistently ranked as one of the best city park systems in the US each year.

This year, Cincinnati ranked 5th (KC ranked 32):

https://www.tpl.org/parkscore

I won't post too many links because links on this site are usually posted by posters who try too hard to give their city an image to fit the agenda they are trying to get across.

Like I said before, I think Cincinnati is just an overall better city in almost every regard to Kansas City. Cincinnati has smaller city limits and didn't annex a bunch of land like KC did, so the city is more dense and has more lively neighborhoods in a geographically smaller area. Cincinnati has a more active downtown surrounded by neighborhoods like OTR and Pendleton that have architecture you will not find in KC. The "basin" area is connected by the streetcar which flows through different streets within the downtown/OTR area (it's only a dollar, but council voted to make it fare free).

To me, architecture is art. You have the restored Cincinnati Union Terminal, newly restored Cincinnati Music Hall, and to be able to walk down Vine, Race, Walnut or Main Street and be surrounded by such beautifully restored architecture and see downtown rising in the distance is a really something unique in my opinion:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1106...4!8i8192?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1104...4!8i8192?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ed....5132524?hl=en

The new FC Cincinnati stadium is under construction in the West End not far from Cincinnati Music Hall. I am glad they built it here instead of another sports stadium along the riverfront. As the riverfront continues to grow and The Banks neighborhood gets more diversified with different residents, businesses and cultural additions like the new music venue underway, it will make everything that much better. I hate that COVID has made everything such a down year (obviously we are taking the right precautions with everything being shut down), but Cincinnati has such a wealth of outdoor activities with the parks and new developments that have happened over the years, and being a part of those is quite the experience.

Absolutely agree with you about architecture as art! Cincinnati definitely wins in that area.

And I can't wait to take a walk in some of those parks! I'm excited to be back there tomorrow. Thank you very much for putting this all together.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Absolutely agree with you about architecture as art! Cincinnati definitely wins in that area.

And I can't wait to take a walk in some of those parks! I'm excited to be back there tomorrow. Thank you very much for putting this all together.
I would also highly recommend the new art climb stairs that go up to the art museum and then take a stroll through Eden park. Cincinnati is great at supporting its artist and the arts in general and has a very good ballet, opera,orchestra. The ballet is also currently building a brand new ballet building right next to Eden Park.

Old 08-02-2020, 12:05 PM

Any updates from the op? I’m excited to hear any news?

Old 08-02-2020, 12:35 PM

162 posts, read 150,642 times
Did the OP visit both cities recently?

I was lurking the city vs city section and KC was being compared to Charlotte... KC is quickly becoming one of the more overrated cities on this forum. KC posters trying too hard to make KC sound like this thriving, bustling city. It doesn't really stand out compared to other mid tier cities. I was there late 2018 and didn't think wow, this city is so unique and interesting. Even their streetcar route passes by areas that have large surface parking lots and a feeling of being disjointed.

Again, when it comes to neighborhoods, activity, recreation, built environment, Cincy is a more appealing option.

Old 08-02-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Any updates from the op? I’m excited to hear any news?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseofPlace View Post
Did the OP visit both cities recently?

I was lurking the city vs city section and KC was being compared to Charlotte... KC is quickly becoming one of the more overrated cities on this forum. KC posters trying too hard to make KC sound like this thriving, bustling city. It doesn't really stand out compared to other mid tier cities. I was there late 2018 and didn't think wow, this city is so unique and interesting. Even their streetcar route passes by areas that have large surface parking lots and a feeling of being disjointed.

Again, when it comes to neighborhoods, activity, recreation, built environment, Cincy is a more appealing option.

Hey guys! I was just going to write a post-visit update. In response to SenseofPlace, I haven't even been to Charlotte but that's exactly what I would compare KC to based on everything I've heard. We were going to stop there on this road trip before Covid made us too scared to visit more than two cities.

Here's what I posted in the KC forum about their city:

"Here are my impressions:
We stayed in the financial district near 10th and Grand Blvd. I'm sure it's because of coronavirus but that are was pretty quiet, not a lot of people hanging out. If I had to base my decision on that experience alone I would say KC is boooooring! But I know it's an unfair assessment at this time.

I think it would be fun to live in an apartment in the Rivermaket area. Crossroads was okay too, and then the neighborhoods near Nelson-Atkins. There are SO MANY LOFTS. I don't want to feel like I'm living in a hotel with no balcony. Ideally we would find a single-family home but the neighborhoods where those were seemed either scarce, not within walking distance to shops, too fancy/expensive, or too unsafe. Need to do more research on that front.

The landscape is not as enjoyable as Cincy's and neither are the parks. I wish there was a nicer, bigger park right downtown or something. We did drive around the WWI museum where people were enjoying the pretty sunset so that was nice.

West Bottoms was STRANGE! Cool, but strange. People are moving there??? It reminded me of an industrial movie set. I would definitely shop there in the future though.

The public transportation seemed great.

I got a wonderful pour over coffee at Thou Mayest and took home some DELICIOUS beans, which always makes me happy. Plus, the bag was $4 cheaper than what I'm used to buying at home!

I liked that it was easy to get around with no crowds or traffic. Parking was easy though it's annoying that there isn't more free parking areas.

My partner got his bbq fix at Jack Stack and I was able to get my (too expensive) vegan fix at Cafe Gratitude. We didn't eat out anywhere else. I was shocked at how many people eat inside restaurants right now. That's not unique to KC though, they were doing the same in Ohio and here at home. It's just so risky to me! Eeck.

Overall, compared to Cincinnati, KC felt quieter, calmer, less diverse, segregated, more spaced out with pockets of people in the "cool" places. We drove past some beautiful houses. We were wondering why a lot of houses are made of stone? I wish I could have witnessed a First Friday or some kind of community event to get a real feel of the city where people are actually out. Seems like in Corona times people just get ice cream at River Market or eat at restaurants. I don't love Missouri or anything surrounding it so I'm a little concerned with that if we actually move there. I feel like we would never venture outside of the city for the whole year or however long we'd be there. But I am intrigued by the fact that lots of lists say KC has a very good job market, and that's most important right now."

[Someone posted a good reply to my assessment that also sums it up perfectly if you want to go there and read it.]

Now that you got through that bumbling mess, let me write one for Cincy!

I think based on what I said about KC, you won't be surprised to hear that overall I enjoyed Cincy more. When we got there we walked and drove around Eden park - so nice! Those neighborhoods and houses were amazing. I actually liked Clifton-Gaslight where our airbnb was too. We walked around Ludlow ave. and it was just the right amount of lively. I love neighborhoods like that: you get to walk past beautiful houses on your way to get food or groceries! I took a lot of pictures I could definitely live there.

We wandered OTR and Findlay Market the next morning, which we have been to before. Made sure to drive through Oakley and Hyde Park though I think we kinda missed the heart of those areas. Seemed a little far but worth another look. We also did a quick drive across the river and saw where the aquarium is. Didn't get into the neighborhoods but also worth another look sometime. There was a lot of street construction going on downtown and some more traffic so obviously it was a little trickier driving around but very similar to what we're used to in Detroit. BOTH cities had pretty bad roads so being in a walkable area to avoid that all the time would be a nice bonus (again, nothing we're not used to here. RIP my suspension)

There's nothing in KC that compares to Smale Park as far as I know. I think the Roebling is beautiful. We didn't even get to any other parks, like Mt. Airy Forest or Ault, but I don't think I'll be disappointed! I just appreciated that people were out enjoying nature, the riverwalk, Washington Park, etc. I missed that in KC.

Oh, and we saw some Scarecoronas! So fun.

I think we covered a lot of ground on just two days and I feel like I have a much better grasp on the different neighborhoods and feel of the city. Cincinnati has that history and architecture that I just love, and the city feels more like a "big city". I also appreciate that there are pockets of neighborhoods with single-family homes INSIDE the city, whereas in KC they're all on the outskirts unless you want to live in a loft. I'll end this now, it's getting too long! But I am happy to announce that Cincy wins the comparison. We may continue to apply for jobs in both cities, but if I had my pick/already had a job, I would pick Cincy right away.

Old 08-02-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Hey guys! I was just going to write a post-visit update. In response to SenseofPlace, I haven't even been to Charlotte but that's exactly what I would compare KC to based on everything I've heard. We were going to stop there on this road trip before Covid made us too scared to visit more than two cities.

Here's what I posted in the KC forum about their city:

"Here are my impressions:
We stayed in the financial district near 10th and Grand Blvd. I'm sure it's because of coronavirus but that are was pretty quiet, not a lot of people hanging out. If I had to base my decision on that experience alone I would say KC is boooooring! But I know it's an unfair assessment at this time.

I think it would be fun to live in an apartment in the Rivermaket area. Crossroads was okay too, and then the neighborhoods near Nelson-Atkins. There are SO MANY LOFTS. I don't want to feel like I'm living in a hotel with no balcony. Ideally we would find a single-family home but the neighborhoods where those were seemed either scarce, not within walking distance to shops, too fancy/expensive, or too unsafe. Need to do more research on that front.

The landscape is not as enjoyable as Cincy's and neither are the parks. I wish there was a nicer, bigger park right downtown or something. We did drive around the WWI museum where people were enjoying the pretty sunset so that was nice.

West Bottoms was STRANGE! Cool, but strange. People are moving there??? It reminded me of an industrial movie set. I would definitely shop there in the future though.

The public transportation seemed great.

I got a wonderful pour over coffee at Thou Mayest and took home some DELICIOUS beans, which always makes me happy. Plus, the bag was $4 cheaper than what I'm used to buying at home!

I liked that it was easy to get around with no crowds or traffic. Parking was easy though it's annoying that there isn't more free parking areas.

My partner got his bbq fix at Jack Stack and I was able to get my (too expensive) vegan fix at Cafe Gratitude. We didn't eat out anywhere else. I was shocked at how many people eat inside restaurants right now. That's not unique to KC though, they were doing the same in Ohio and here at home. It's just so risky to me! Eeck.

Overall, compared to Cincinnati, KC felt quieter, calmer, less diverse, segregated, more spaced out with pockets of people in the "cool" places. We drove past some beautiful houses. We were wondering why a lot of houses are made of stone? I wish I could have witnessed a First Friday or some kind of community event to get a real feel of the city where people are actually out. Seems like in Corona times people just get ice cream at River Market or eat at restaurants. I don't love Missouri or anything surrounding it so I'm a little concerned with that if we actually move there. I feel like we would never venture outside of the city for the whole year or however long we'd be there. But I am intrigued by the fact that lots of lists say KC has a very good job market, and that's most important right now."

[Someone posted a good reply to my assessment that also sums it up perfectly if you want to go there and read it.]

Now that you got through that bumbling mess, let me write one for Cincy!

I think based on what I said about KC, you won't be surprised to hear that overall I enjoyed Cincy more. When we got there we walked and drove around Eden park - so nice! Those neighborhoods and houses were amazing. I actually liked Clifton-Gaslight where our airbnb was too. We walked around Ludlow ave. and it was just the right amount of lively. I love neighborhoods like that: you get to walk past beautiful houses on your way to get food or groceries! I took a lot of pictures I could definitely live there.

We wandered OTR and Findlay Market the next morning, which we have been to before. Made sure to drive through Oakley and Hyde Park though I think we kinda missed the heart of those areas. Seemed a little far but worth another look. We also did a quick drive across the river and saw where the aquarium is. Didn't get into the neighborhoods but also worth another look sometime. There was a lot of street construction going on downtown and some more traffic so obviously it was a little trickier driving around but very similar to what we're used to in Detroit. BOTH cities had pretty bad roads so being in a walkable area to avoid that all the time would be a nice bonus (again, nothing we're not used to here. RIP my suspension)

There's nothing in KC that compares to Smale Park as far as I know. I think the Roebling is beautiful. We didn't even get to any other parks, like Mt. Airy Forest or Ault, but I don't think I'll be disappointed! I just appreciated that people were out enjoying nature, the riverwalk, Washington Park, etc. I missed that in KC.

Oh, and we saw some Scarecoronas! So fun.

I think we covered a lot of ground on just two days and I feel like I have a much better grasp on the different neighborhoods and feel of the city. Cincinnati has that history and architecture that I just love, and the city feels more like a "big city". I also appreciate that there are pockets of neighborhoods with single-family homes INSIDE the city, whereas in KC they're all on the outskirts unless you want to live in a loft. I'll end this now, it's getting too long! But I am happy to announce that Cincy wins the comparison. We may continue to apply for jobs in both cities, but if I had my pick/already had a job, I would pick Cincy right away.

Yay! Well I’m glad you got to experience both cities And get to call Cincy home for a little while. As Kc is a good city the history and scenery of Cincinnati is where the city shines. They are currently remodeling two buildings in OTR for a museum of the history of OTR (modeled after the tenement museum in NYC). As someone who is more of a urban core person than the suburbs I will say the suburbs do have some good parks such as Voice of America park, Summit Park, Sharon woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati