Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 10:22 AM

74 posts, read 81,392 times

Advertisements

Perfect!! Thanks a lot. I'll get started on this new post now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 08:08 PM

13 posts, read 16,553 times
Default Lived in Both.

I’ve only a moment to post but would like to come back and elaborate. I lived in Cincinnati for 28 years and Kansas City for 18. I much prefer Cincinnati but they are so different. There are pros and cons to each for me. I’ll come back and write when I can make time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desirepaths View Post
Hi all. I also posted this in the KC forum. Hope that's allowed.

My partner and I are from Michigan and we're trying to move out of state ASAP. We were in KC in October but only for a day and didn't get to go through all the neighborhoods. We have been to Cincy twice in the last few years. Our lease is up here in a few days so we're going to revisit both cities on a quick (socially distanced) road trip to hopefully make up our minds. We are simply looking for a LCOL, medium-sized city where we can start our careers. We'll be renting. We've accepted that whichever city we pick, it will be less exciting due to the pandemic. I have done a ton of research via reddit, city-data, bestplaces, etc. to the point where there's nothing more I can find out without asking you and visiting in person. We have already started applying for jobs in both cities, FYI, so hopefully we can snag one before moving.

How do you think the city will hold up with COVID? Do you expect the job market to be okay (partner is in environmental science, I'm a creative but am just looking for another office job)? How are you guys spending these quarantine days? Anything else you think we should know? Sell us on Cincinnati (or not!)

Old 01-07-2021, 02:21 AM

52 posts, read 112,177 times
I actually live in KC and am thinking of moving to Cincinnati or Covington to retire. I like the four seasons so won't be returning to Texas. My neighbor moved to Cincinnati and loves it. She says it's worlds better. We both had the same opinion about KC. It's racist and unfriendly. And the crime is pretty bad. The police are overwhelmed, so you are on your own. Due to my husband's job, I'm stuck here a few more years. I like the KC architecture and Cincinnati also has some of the same kind. I have been here since 2008 and have not found it any friendlier. I was a native of Austin, but the allergies and heat is not for me otherwise, I'd be there. So more research for me, but I wouldn't move to KC.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:01 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,091,911 times
It will be negative -3 low in Cincinnati next Friday. What does that even feel like. Florida boy asking.

Old 02-05-2021, 05:49 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellavampirella View Post
I actually live in KC and am thinking of moving to Cincinnati or Covington to retire. I like the four seasons so won't be returning to Texas. My neighbor moved to Cincinnati and loves it. She says it's worlds better. We both had the same opinion about KC. It's racist and unfriendly. And the crime is pretty bad. The police are overwhelmed, so you are on your own. Due to my husband's job, I'm stuck here a few more years. I like the KC architecture and Cincinnati also has some of the same kind. I have been here since 2008 and have not found it any friendlier. I was a native of Austin, but the allergies and heat is not for me otherwise, I'd be there. So more research for me, but I wouldn't move to KC.
It's somewhat provincial here too (like most of the Midwest, where there's not a lot of mobility) but people are really friendly in Ohio. It's one of the first things I noticed when I moved back here. There's quite a bit of crime in Cincinnati like most Rust Belt cities but it's usually contained to a few neighborhoods. There's been a lot of development in the city with a lot of new restaurants and breweries opening up.
Ohio in general is not the most forward-thinking place these days, but I'd imagine it's still much better than Missouri.
We're going through a cold snap this week but in general the winters are milder than what you'll find in the rest of Ohio and the summers, which can be hot/humid, are pretty nice on the riverfront. Fair warning though, if you have seasonal allergies like hay fever, the area between Cincinnati and Columbus is a hot spot for pollen, though from what I'm reading still not as bas as Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
It will be negative -3 low in Cincinnati next Friday. What does that even feel like. Florida boy asking.
Like walking into a deep freeze. You cover up every part of your skin that you can and don't spend more time outside than necessary. Luckily those kind of temps only happen like once every winter, and they're more tolerable than 100+ heat in the summer.

Old 02-06-2021, 08:32 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,088,153 times
Quote:
As Natural mentioned, proper preparations help. But personally, having been to Bemidji, MN, when the low was -10 F and windchill -20/-25 F, the air doesn’t feel oppressive like the humidity-laden heat does. Just like being in Nevada in 110 with dry air, the dry air in Midwestern winters can fool you for how quickly frost bite and hypothermia come on. And also, just as you bring water to stay hydrated and avoid middle of the day outdoor work in the desert southwest, you take the precautions of for the cold (proper heater maintenance and servicing, stay indoors (especially at night), cover and bundle up, and you will be fine.

Old 02-07-2021, 06:56 AM

3,867 posts, read 3,147,873 times
Quote:
I like it when its cold like that because everybody's inside and I have the whole streets to myself haha. It's really beautiful at night when its cold like that.
If you spend a lot of time outdoors you will be already acclimatized to winter.
It don't feel bad if you are dressed appropriately and walking around.
You dress in layers so you can take off clothing as not to sweat if you're doing outdoor activities. You be surprised how quickly your body heats when doing vigorous activities. If you don't pay attention to the news it will feel just like a typical winter night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati