Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 06:46 PM

455 posts, read 1,884,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
Huh??
Oh sorry, he posted this in both the C-bus and Cinci forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 05:51 AM

27 posts, read 106,014 times
But overall it's more of a Midwest and South thing. People in these regions get married earlier, and people on the coasts do so later.

In Cincinnati the issue is complicated even a bit more, I think, by the lack of in-migration to the population. People here are so overwhelmingly "from here" that they usually meet a local person and marry them. They are a little distrustful of and disinterested in outsiders.

All that said, I firmly believe that if you got game, you've got it anywhere ... there will always be socialites, politicians, pick-up artists, scam artists and salesman who can infiltrate any population and succeed in what they want to do.

But Cincinnati is particularly tough.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:25 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZero View Post
But overall it's more of a Midwest and South thing. People in these regions get married earlier, and people on the coasts do so later.

In Cincinnati the issue is complicated even a bit more, I think, by the lack of in-migration to the population. People here are so overwhelmingly "from here" that they usually meet a local person and marry them. They are a little distrustful of and disinterested in outsiders.

All that said, I firmly believe that if you got game, you've got it anywhere ... there will always be socialites, politicians, pick-up artists, scam artists and salesman who can infiltrate any population and succeed in what they want to do.

But Cincinnati is particularly tough.
If you got game? Distrustful/disinterested in others? I think you need to re-read your own posts and think if them as if someone else wrote them maybe then you might see that none of it makes sense. Like I said in my earlier post, I know women who are single, divorsed, have children but one thing in common they all are looking for is just a good man who WANTS to be in a healthy relationship. Period.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:31 PM

27 posts, read 106,014 times
You don't think there is "nativism" in Cincinnati?

Old 07-09-2008, 06:10 AM

No, I think there are a lot of people who grow up here and stay here. I dont think it mattered to me while I was single where someone was from but instead what that person was like.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:25 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,074 times
I've lived in Cincinnati 2 months and have to agree that people seem to marry younger than the coasts. Although I wouldn't consider relocating to find single ladies my age (30 +2/-5), I am looking for better ways to meet them. It's been hard enough finding any single women 25-30, nevermind the particular kinds I'm looking for. Most of them are at my workplace -- which I'd like to avoid.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:06 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
Most people would prefer to avoid their work places, LOL!!! No worries, we all knew what you meant. "Fishing off the company pier" is never wise. Yesterday morning, in fact, several of my colleagues and I were laughing over the transparency of the "just friendly co-workers" facade two people at my place of employment have to affect. They've clearly been an item since at least '06 if not longer. It's not the classic "middle-aged exec and hot young secretary" sort of deal, but still, the hassles aren't worth it most of the time.

Nico (and any other single dudes 25-40 out there), I'd hang at Arthur's on Edwards Rd after work or at Dancing Wasabi in Mt Lookout Sq for late-night if I were in your shoes. DW stays open until 4 AM on weekends. Zip's in Mt Lookout Sq is also a perennially fun place to be and is popular with the unattached.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:19 AM

Nico---check out Give Back Cincinnati..it is a volunteer group of young professionals in Cincy which not only does great things for the neighborhoods but they also have fun social gatherings...they have a web page..grab a buddy & check them out. If I was single, that is the group I would be hanging with.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:29 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
Something that sounds like good fun (to my way of thinking anyway) is the Hash House Harriers. Cincinnati is usually 20 years behind the rest of the country, lol, but a group has gotten started there. What they do could be described as urban orienteering, a scavenger-hunt race with the route unknown to anyone but its planners before start time. They're said to have no problem with admitting members who can't drink alcohol or choose not to, but part of what makes them unique is that heavy beer consumption during the race is not only encouraged but expected. 'taint your everyday YMCA 10k club or neighborhood running group, that's for sure. The Harriers also borrowed a page from the Society for Creative Anachronism in that everyone who joins is soon tagged with an often-"bawdy" nickname. The national group is certain to have a Website with links to its merry band of Cincinnatians. Let's face it, there are more ways to meet people for short- or long-term relationships than at places of worship or "meat markets." Many chicks dig jocks, and some guys dig jockettes, so there ya have it.

I'm not sold on the idea of organizations founded on the pretext of do-gooding when the clear actual intent is to create a venue for "hooking up." What woman with any kind of worldly knowledge will buy from some guy that he's stoked to spend a Saturday with Give Back Cincinnati or whatever, picking up trash and putting in new landscaping at tot lots in Mt Auburn? What woman who just happens to quietly devote an evening or weekend per month to volunteering at the Freestore will buy from some guy who just happens to be working there on the same Tuesday night sometime that he's doing this because he wants to? Vegas places the odds of getting past hello heavily in favor of the second fella. False pretenses, however transparent, are no way to get a potentially romantic acquaintanceship started. And what does it say about a person that they have to have what they do for do-gooding decided for them? I'm not hatin', jus' statin'.

Brothers, do the exact same things with your down time that you'd do if your thoughts weren't preoccupied with getting...affection. Gearhead? Park your car or 'cycle out front and do your tinkering and fine-tuning where you can be seen. You'll of course draw other guys eager to kibitz and to talk up their own rides, but a lot of ladies are attracted to mechanic types and of course bikers. (It's the same principle as it is for guitarists - "ooooo, look how good he is with his hands." Speaking of music, orchestras and choruses are excellent social incubators. FYI the approximately 175-voice choir I'm involved with has an estimated-by-me 7/4 ratio of female to male.) Back-to-nature type? Hit the trail. History buff? Check out every new exhibit at the Museum Center. Etc etc, you get the picture.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:25 PM

Goyguy...The Give Back Cincinnati nudge was because they are a large group that does things year round, each year. You meet other young professionals..for example..Paint the Town..you spend a day painting a house getting to know people, sit down for lunch, back to work, go to the after party and MAYBE ask someone for their phone number or email (whatever you dating people do now). You dont go to hook up with people you are helping (but heck, could happen). Log onto the web page and check out the pics of their events. Promise you, you will understand what I am talking about. They were in Hartwell during a paint the town event and they are a great group of people...would I lie to you? ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati