Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 11:28 AM

84 posts, read 333,294 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm finding the early 30's single scene in Pittsburgh to be pretty rough and am strongly considering a move. I know that I probably wouldn't receive the warmest of welcomes in Cinci being that I'm from Pittsburgh, but how is the singles scene for a guy in my age bracket in Cinci?

As far as living arrangements, I would really prefer to live in the city in a safe, walkable area.

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated! I'm also looking at Chicago and Philly for what it's worth...

Lance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 12:04 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,334 times
I posted on another thread here about local nonchain restaurants about a place in Corryville (by the UC campus) called Martinos. They are a family owned place from Pittsburgh (they still have family and other restaurant in PA) and you should see that place on game day...I know there is a big following of Steeler fans in Cincy (though most wont admit it but you Bengal fans have to admit seeing people wearing their Steeler gear around here) but that place blew my mind when I saw all the people. Steelers fans are insane, I know, my son is one too-brainwashed from birth is what I tell people ;-)

Old 07-04-2008, 12:51 PM

27 posts, read 105,974 times
They marry pretty young here, as soon as they finish their education in a lot of cases. Not an easy social scene to break into, and not a lot of single women in your age group. There are some who are divorced.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:44 PM

5 posts, read 19,271 times
I have to agree with DrZero about marrying young. I am also a male in my early 30's and most women in our age group are married and have children. I am divorced and I am the only one in my group of friends who is not married or has children, so it can be difficult here as well.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:15 PM

84 posts, read 333,294 times
Thanks for the honest feedback everyone, it's very much appreciated.

Looks like Cinci may not be the best fit...

Lance

Old 07-05-2008, 12:24 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Times are tough all over for guys in your age range, m'friend, always have been. The "cougars" are mainly after younger men, and most of the younger ladies are too. OTOH you're not old enough to catch the eye of the majority of widowed, divorced, or never married women over 50, far from all of whom would hold no attraction for you. Consider a lifestyle change, I'm not kidding, or at least an altering of it. You'll find more "nice girls" who are looking for "nice guys" if you join a church or get involved in volunteer activities instead of prowl pick-up joints. A lot of women, though they don't freely admit it, are drawn to a man who doesn't feel his masculinity is threatened by feeding puppies at the SPCA shelter or sorting clothes at the Salvation Army warehouse. As for finding more "casual" liaisons, lease a chick-magnet car, and start haunting a gym to get into prime physical condition. And hey, sorry in advance for any insults to your intelligence as far as this goes.

Much as Cincinnati has its Martino's, so does Boston have The Harp. No one knows exactly how or why it happened, but it's become THE gathering place for Buffalo Bills fans. I had a riotous time there last fall on the night that the Pats demolished their team, what a fun bunch of people. The gender mix of native Western New Yorkers (or UB/Syracuse/RIT/etc alumni) was pretty even, and the predominant age bracket appeared to be 25-34, so there ya go. Martino's probably replicates this scenario, and cheering on the home team while sharing commentary on the game and its participants makes for an easy means of "getting to hello."

Ditto on the comments about breaking into the Cincy social scene. My dad's lucky to have gotten engaged before leaving South Carolina to launch his career at Procter & Gamble. When someone in Cincinnati asks, "Where did you go to school?" they're usually talking about HIGH school. So, right off the bat you're dealing with "nativism." Then, whether you did or didn't attend parochial schools could squash a potential relationship (or something more, ahem, short-term.) Cool points are awarded, however, if you live in Mt Adams or Clifton. An address in Hyde Park or Mt Lookout connotates money. Living in Northside, as well as in Clifton or Mt Adams, communicates to the listener that you're a young-thinking dude who's open-minded and hip to the latest trends. Oakley is starting to gain that sort of reputation too. If you'd describe yourself as street smart and a risk taker, the Over-the-Rhine neighborhood adjacent to downtown is in the middle of a titanic struggle to gentrify. "Upper" Main and Sycamore St's house some decent nightspots of late, the newest place-to-be-seen is Lavomatic on "Upper" Vine St, etc. Historic rowhouses are being made over into lofts and apartments. Tucker's, on Upper Vine, is a neighborhood fixture for its awesome breakfasts. The open-air Findlay Market draws foodies from throughout the area to its vendors of fresh meats, cheeses, and produce. (Since food shopping has always offered possibilities for meeting people, I thought I'd throw that in.) BTW when somebody from Cincinnati prefaces the name of a north-south street with "Upper," it means they're referring to the stretch of that street which lies north of Central Parkway and therefore in "OTR."

"Across the river," the cities of Covington and Newport and Bellevue have gained greatly in popularity over the past decade or so: views of downtown, funky shops, fun bars and restaurants old and new, and of course Newport on the Levee.

Singles who didn't get that way by surviving their spouse tend to be the "odd person out" in other city neighborhoods, and in the suburban areas that lack big apartment complexes. Unless you're dead set on settling down with The Right Girl and starting a household if not a family, don't even think about moving into one of them.

After all that, though, in all honesty I'd vote for your going to Chicago.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:30 PM

710 posts, read 3,045,077 times
Move downtown, get involved, and you won't have any problems with the singles scene here. there are a lot of fortune 500 transplants. get involved and yo will be fine.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:38 AM

I know that as a female, I have plenty of single friends or know people who are young professionals who are single. There is a great group called Give Back CIncinnati which is young professionals who get together to do volunteer work (Like paint the town and beautification projects outdoors and in schools)...groups like that will help people find others their age to hang out with. Dont leave Cincy out...Its a great place to live.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:12 PM

455 posts, read 1,883,979 times
Unless you are downtown and take advantage of NKY, Cincinnati is really not so good for single males. Up in Columbus, girls in their 30's to 40's (single, separated or divorced) still hit the occasional club and even end up making it to an after hours here and there. C-bus girls also weigh a lot less and are much prettier/updated in general (**HD climbs under table and hides**), but they expect more than an average joe schmoe middle-management type in exchange. The trophy wife type women, granola or prada, down here are already sitting nicely, encased behind the saftey glass of an SUV with a sparkle coming off of that finger that would blind you.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
Unless you are downtown and take advantage of NKY, Cincinnati is really not so good for single males. Up in Columbus, girls in their 30's to 40's (single, separated or divorced) still hit the occasional club and even end up making it to an after hours here and there. C-bus girls also weigh a lot less and are much prettier/updated in general (**HD climbs under table and hides**), but they expect more than an average joe schmoe middle-management type in exchange. The trophy wife type women, granola or prada, down here are already sitting nicely, encased behind the saftey glass of an SUV with a sparkle coming off of that finger that would blind you.
Huh??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati