Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you categorize Cleveland?
Midwest 132 74.16%
Northeast 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 02:38 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Just drove from Cleveland to Western PA and back. I definitely think that Cleveland is a midwest city, probably the first city in the midwest. It just doesn't have the same vibe as even cities on the far Western edge of PA. To me the church style is one of the defining differences. Northeast has more pointy wooden bell towers and steeples, Midwest has a lot of stone, brick and metal in their curches. They are more Eastern European in styling than New England churches, which are more Western European IMO. On a side note, my girfriend from Philly said that Cleveland was definitely not Midwest. We were going to college in Minnesota at the time, so that might have had something to do with it.
Surprisingly the first city in the Midwest is probably St. Louis (or maybe Cincy).

I'm not sure how going to college in Minnesota makes Cleveland any more or less Eastern......I'm from Minnesota and Cleveland feels distinctly Midwestern to me, and not all that different from Minneapolis-St. Paul (just older).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 02:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Surprisingly the first city in the Midwest is probably St. Louis (or maybe Cincy).
Cleveland is not really any older than San Francisco, though Cleveland grew a bit faster with industrialization in the first few decades of the 20th century while San Francisco's growth slowed from the quake. Adding adjacent cities and suburbs, San Francisco is roughly the same as San Francisco has smaller city limits.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Then you'd have to consider Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis, and Detroit "Northeastern" as well.

When it comes down to brass tax Cleveland sits in Ohio, which rests in the Midwest region, according to just about any map you'll find. I realize it's a bit of a blend, but it's still Midwestern.

Similarly, Denver is not Midwestern, Detroit is not Canadian, and Pittsburgh is not Midwestern (because it's in PA, which is Northeastern. If it was also in Ohio, it'd be Midwestern).
Yes, yes, yes, and yes! I get tired of these endless threads (sometimes on city forums) about is Pittsburgh midwestern, is Denver midwestern, yada, yada, yada where people argue these POV vehemently.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:06 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,907,894 times
Quote:

I'm not sure how going to college in Minnesota makes Cleveland any more or less Eastern......I'm from Minnesota and Cleveland feels distinctly Midwestern to me, and not all that different from Minneapolis-St. Paul (just older).
"Cincinnati was the first major city of the Midwest, making the top 20 list in 1820. By 1890 there were 9 midwestern cities in the top 20."
Historical Metropolitan Populations of the United States - Peakbagger.com

I love this site. nei just linked to it, but I've had it bookmarked for a while. So very many stories told on that graph.

Cincinnati was a few decades ahead of St. Louis.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:10 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
It's definitely a Mid-Western city but it does have some similarities with Pittsburgh and Buffalo.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:11 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
Quote:

I meant the first city in the midwest geographically as you go west from the East. And the upper midwest has a distinctly different feel to it than the lower Midwest. I think that might have played into her reasons for saying that, because Cleveland more closely resembled East Coast cities than it did upper midwest cities.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:54 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,236 times
As a former Clevelander, I agree that the Great Lakes is a distinct region.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:23 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
"Cincinnati was the first major city of the Midwest, making the top 20 list in 1820. By 1890 there were 9 midwestern cities in the top 20."
Historical Metropolitan Populations of the United States - Peakbagger.com

I love this site. nei just linked to it, but I've had it bookmarked for a while. So very many stories told on that graph.

Cincinnati was a few decades ahead of St. Louis.
cincinnati grew larger earlier than st. louis, but st. louis was founded earlier than cincinnati (1764).

Old 03-06-2013, 09:57 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,907,894 times
IMO the population boom is what's relevant. Being founded does not make a settlement a city. And time of being incorporated is a poor measurement, too, if you look at the dates and statistics. (According to Wikipedia, Cincinnati was incorporated as a city in 1819, and had 9,642 population in 1820. St. Louis was incorporated as a city in 1822, with a population of 1,600 in 1810 and 4,977 in 1830. Meaning when Cincy became a city, it had more than twice the population STL had when it became a city.)

If you want to be really technical about it, Cincinnati was a "city" first (1819 vs. 1822). But I think population boom makes more sense, which also shows Cincinnati coming first (and by a more significant period of time than 3 years).

Cleveland was founded in 1796, incorporated as a city in 1836.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:31 AM

162 posts, read 420,897 times
In my opinion Cleveland identifies
more with the Northeast/ east coast
states than it does Midwest. Things
don't truly feel Midwest until one goes
past central Ohio.

So basically Cleveland is the furthest west
the East coast extends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland