Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 05:54 PM

79 posts, read 235,777 times

Advertisements

Did I say it was typical, normal or accepted? No. All I'm saying is it still happens and it's not as atypical as most people would think. I'm not saying all white Ohioans are racist and or scared of black people, but they're definitely are racists among them. If you want to change somebodies thinking you should be tracking down those prejudiced "white fliers" who WILL leave a place when they notice blacks becoming too prevalent, instead of trying to disprove the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 06:17 PM

9 posts, read 71,197 times
I hate to be blunt, but Randall park mall, tower city, Euclid square, and probably other shopping centers are perfect examples where once the racial character changes, the places go to hell. Racist or not racist, I can't think of many people who really want to shop at these dumps anymore. Same holds true for suburbs. If anyone on this forum really wants to move to maple, Garfield, Bedford, etc, or any other suburb with a changing demographic, then I'd love to hear from you. Again, I don't think it's right, but it seems that whites in Cleveland are fleeing cuyahoga county, and the ghettofication of Cleveland is spreading outward

Old 04-21-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Are any of these areas losing population strictly because AA are leaving? Are any seeing White populations rising? That would be typical of gentrifying neighborhoods. Or are they losing people from all groups?
The areas of the greater Cleveland area that might be seeing increasing white population are downtown and university circle area (due to single young whites seeking to be closer to work and nightlife) and maybe medina and geauga counties with white families fleeing cuyahoga and summit counties. These areas, though, probably don't make up for the overall population collapse that Cleveland is experiencing. Older whites are retiring down south or dying, white college kids leave for school and never come back, black middle class heading to Atlanta, etc, and virtually no meaningful immigration to make up for the decline. This is why low income blacks are heading into the inner ring suburbs (availability of housing in depopulating suburbs)

Old 04-21-2013, 06:46 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_80 View Post
I hate to be blunt, but Randall park mall, tower city, Euclid square, and probably other shopping centers are perfect examples where once the racial character changes, the places go to hell. Racist or not racist, I can't think of many people who really want to shop at these dumps anymore. Same holds true for suburbs. If anyone on this forum really wants to move to maple, Garfield, Bedford, etc, or any other suburb with a changing demographic, then I'd love to hear from you. Again, I don't think it's right, but it seems that whites in Cleveland are fleeing cuyahoga county, and the ghettofication of Cleveland is spreading outward
Those places became dumps largely because White people reacted with fear when Black people started coming in. This fear was misplaced and irrational. Instead of maligning Cleveland and the inner ring suburbs, we should be condemning the reactions of these alarmist, racist white people.

By the way, I'd love to move to Garfield Heights, or even Slavic Village; both seem like charming areas.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Those places became dumps largely because white people reacted with fear when Black people started coming in. This fear was misplaced and irrational. Instead of maligning Cleveland and the inner ring suburbs, we should be condemning the reactions of these alarmist, racist white people.

By the way, I'd love to move to Garfield Heights, or even Slavic Village, both seem like charming areas.
No. These malls became dumps because of deadly robbery shootings that occurred at Randall park in the 70s (perped by inner city youth), shoplifting and theft that caused stores to close, and groups of inner city thugs hanging around all day and evening, causing a tense atmosphere. White people don't sit around thinking about the next racist thing they want to do. They avoid situations that make them uncomfortable, like anyone else.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:01 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_80 View Post
No. These malls became dumps because of deadly robbery shootings that occurred at Randall park in the 70s (perped by inner city youth), shoplifting and theft that caused stores to close, and groups of inner city thugs hanging around all day and evening, causing a tense atmosphere. White people don't sit around thinking about the next racist thing they want to do. They avoid situations that make them uncomfortable, like anyone else.
Some people don't avoid situations that make them uncomfortable, some people, courageous people, find ways to confront them so that they don't end up losing something they value. In these areas people just ran. In Shaker people confronted it. Who's better off today?

Old 04-21-2013, 09:15 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyFromOC View Post
Now Rocky River is a pretty nice city but they're are 2 CMHA properties (Riverside Park/Riverside Park Homes) in the area one being on Rocky River Drive, that are plenty ghetto, thus why I said PARTS of rocky river. Do some research before you talk
You might do well to heed your own advice about research.

Riverside Park is in Cleveland. It's nowhere near the suburb of Rocky River. And it's been a bad area since the '80s, at least.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Some people don't avoid situations that make them uncomfortable, some people, courageous people, find ways to confront them so that they don't end up losing something they value. In these areas people just ran. In Shaker people confronted it. Who's better off today?
Most people have too much to lose to bother dealing with people who have nothing to lose

Old 04-21-2013, 11:30 PM

79 posts, read 235,777 times
Yes riverside is in Cleveland, but this does not affect the actual crime spillover into Rocky River. The project is so close in proximity to the city, its nickname in CMHA is "The Rock". Now if you know theyve been bad since the 80's, you should know that most projects don't get better, only worse unless the area is highly gentrified (ie. The Old West 7th projects, and many other HUD homing across America. And even though the area, homes and apartments may have been renovated and shined for the public, much of the crime remains or soon returns.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:07 AM

254 posts, read 307,312 times
*Totally baffled* - Do Cleveland and Rocky River even have a shared border at any point? I don't believe so.

This thread is comical. "Ghetto" really means "not complete white," right? I guess Edgewater is "Ghetto" as well, because many of my neighbors aren't white. If you want to avoid that, some rural area in Southern Ohio is probably for you. Hope you enjoy your fine dining options of McDonalds and KFC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland