Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:49 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyFromOC View Post
The project is so close in proximity to the city, its nickname in CMHA is "The Rock".
They call it the Rock because it's close to ROCKY RIVER? Really?

I live down the street from "The Rock" and crime doesn't even spillover into my neighborhood. In fact, I think you'd be surprised how little crime spills out of that project even into the immediate area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times
South Euclid has also seen better days I can't believe how hard it's fallen since my sister and husband lived there 15 years ago. Brush in the 90s sure isn't Brush today.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:35 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_80 View Post
Most people have too much to lose to bother dealing with people who have nothing to lose
Than those people should be chastised for their cowardice and laziness. Only a fool and a coward runs away from a problem when they're confronted with it.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:04 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Than those people should be chastised for their cowardice and laziness. Only a fool and a coward runs away from a problem when they're confronted with it.
Geez, Cleverfield...with thinking like this, you might have proven to be the finest soldier ever! (Say, at Verdun, the Somme, or Ypres. etc.) A true hero, indeed!

Old 04-22-2013, 05:51 PM

34 posts, read 130,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
South Euclid has also seen better days I can't believe how hard it's fallen since my sister and husband lived there 15 years ago. Brush in the 90s sure isn't Brush today.
That's also certainly true, my cousins graduated from there. The demographics of that school changed drastically and even more quickly than anywhere else.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:22 PM

261 posts, read 588,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_80 View Post
Most people have too much to lose to bother dealing with people who have nothing to lose
I don't think anyone has more to lose than the residents of Shaker paying those high as heaven property taxes. People still respect the reputation of the place for good reason.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:43 PM

182 posts, read 272,753 times
Really, only those who have been inner-city residents are qualified to state an informed opinion on this topic. I resided in East Cleveland from the late 1960s to the mid 1980s as a college and post-graduate student---because I was an orphan and had relatives there who let me stay rent-free in a third floor attic. This was AFTER the change of that community in the 1960s. There is no question that the people who left East Cleveland, both black and white residents, did NOT leave because of "racism"----they left because of legitimate and reality-based fears for the safety of themselves and their children. When crime and street violence [robberies and beatings] reached a certain point, the police were simply unable to prevent it---at all. And, in the last 10 years, you have seen "Black flight" from East Cleveland, a loss of 33% of its population, as Blacks attempt to find a safer place. You want to know what REAL racism is? In 1950, 80% of Black children were in homes with two married parents, their mother and father. Crime rates in Black areas were relatively low. Many Blacks owned businesses. Then, for no legitimate reason, and with no vote on the part of the American people, the federal government decided to start paying young women to have illegitimate children---giving them free medical care, free rent, free groceries, plus cash payments. This decision has led to the destruction of the Black family, leading to poverty, lack of interest in education, crime, and violence. Today, 80% of Black children are ILL-egtimate. Even 30 % of white kids are also illegitimate. A neighborhood of families with married fathers---black men, white men---would not tolerate the street crime and drug culture that permeates so much of America. Our "leaders" who have let this continue should be prosecuted and imprisoned.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:12 PM

420 posts, read 1,041,628 times
Default Think

So they say it is called the " Rock " cause it is Located off Rocky River Drive .
I read most of the postings and thought , really some people here think because the road is Rocky River Drive , it must be Rocky River , where as anyone being a Rocky River resident , would simple say
I'm from River.
It really made me laugh , not LOL , I guess Most of Westpark is so nice it could not be thought of being
the City of Cleveland .It has to be a burb

[quote=Peregrine;29239411]They call it the Rock because it's close to ROCKY RIVER? Really?

Last edited by citydudeallover; 04-22-2013 at 09:39 PM..

Old 04-22-2013, 10:27 PM

9 posts, read 71,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ess.ess.ess.esq. View Post
Really, only those who have been inner-city residents are qualified to state an informed opinion on this topic. I resided in East Cleveland from the late 1960s to the mid 1980s as a college and post-graduate student---because I was an orphan and had relatives there who let me stay rent-free in a third floor attic. This was AFTER the change of that community in the 1960s. There is no question that the people who left East Cleveland, both black and white residents, did NOT leave because of "racism"----they left because of legitimate and reality-based fears for the safety of themselves and their children. When crime and street violence [robberies and beatings] reached a certain point, the police were simply unable to prevent it---at all. And, in the last 10 years, you have seen "Black flight" from East Cleveland, a loss of 33% of its population, as Blacks attempt to find a safer place. You want to know what REAL racism is? In 1950, 80% of Black children were in homes with two married parents, their mother and father. Crime rates in Black areas were relatively low. Many Blacks owned businesses. Then, for no legitimate reason, and with no vote on the part of the American people, the federal government decided to start paying young women to have illegitimate children---giving them free medical care, free rent, free groceries, plus cash payments. This decision has led to the destruction of the Black family, leading to poverty, lack of interest in education, crime, and violence. Today, 80% of Black children are ILL-egtimate. Even 30 % of white kids are also illegitimate. A neighborhood of families with married fathers---black men, white men---would not tolerate the street crime and drug culture that permeates so much of America. Our "leaders" who have let this continue should be prosecuted and imprisoned.
I drove through east Cleveland a few times back in the 2000s when my family still lived in Ohio...that was the most hellish town I've ever seen. It's really sad how "progressive" policies can destroy a society. Low income Hispanic areas, while poor with crime, at least seem populated and vibrant with lots of stores, etc. low income AA neighborhoods are almost always semi abandoned, devoid of shops, and full of zombies, drunks, etc. I'm convinced its because of the high proportion of welfare receiving single moms

Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 PM

79 posts, read 235,738 times
That was deep ess, a very real view our "safety net"

My AMP leader told me the nickname "The Rock" stemmed from its location on Rocky River Drive, it's proximity to the city of Rocky River (less than 10 minutes) and a gang that formed there that was calling themselves The Rock Boys at the time.

I'm assuming the MAJORITY of users on here have never even been inside public housing much less lived in them so you really don't what the term "ghetto" is. It's not a place or people, its a state of mind. If you took the residents from say, Outhwaite and switched them with the people of Pepper Pike. Pepper Pikes gonna become the hellhole and Outhwaite would basically turn into its own suburb.

Now lets apply this Rocky River and Riverside. When you have people from Riverside committing all types of crime ranging from robbery, murder, drug dealing and etc. within a nice community MOST people will notice. 2 things could happen here, either the neighborhood lobbys together to defend the area and succeeds in taking it back (Which happens but doesn't always work) or they simply move away. Now when these original residents move away this exacerbates the problem. Businesses start failing more, the area becomes decrepit, property values drop, drug dealers/users become more prominent and violence levels rise. This can happen ANYWHERE.

But like I said Rocky River at this point is still a fine city and probably won't be failing for awhile if at all. However just like East Cleveland was at once a thriving suburb it could just as well happen to Rocky River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland