Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 07:26 PM

11 posts, read 38,983 times

Advertisements

I live in Solon right now but I have lived in Twinsburg, Macedonia, Northfield, Bedford, Bedford Heights, Maple Heights, Mayfield Hts. I have worked In Parma Strongsville, Mentor, cleveland hts. I would say that theplace I like most would be Solon and Mayfield hts. They are both middle class and upper class mixed and there are a ton of stores and resturants in both espescialy mayfield. I dont see what the fuss about mentor is, it is ok but I dont think Mentor is that great becaus its not near anything. bedford, maple and that area is starting to go down the tubes, hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 11:07 PM

35 posts, read 221,577 times
Thanks HAS and paintballer, we did have a nice anniversary. And I ended up finding the chihuahua a foster family through Small Breed Rescue of SC. I would have loved to keep her, but my female dog wasn't accepting her and I was worried she would hurt her. I had to keep them seperated. I know the rescue group will find her a good home.
Anyway, yes, I thought of getting them sweaters! But I'm sure they'll be fine with their winter coats, like you said. Thanks for your input too marshallmk1, always appreciate it!

Old 11-03-2006, 06:35 AM

10 posts, read 64,806 times
Default Live in Cleveland suberb and can't wait to leave....

I want to start by saying that I in no way want to start a fight in here since most folks seem to have a high opinion of Cleveland and its suburbs. If you are being relocated here, you really have no choice but to make the most of it. I, on the other hand, own my own business and can realistically leave and start up again in another location....which is what my family and I are trying to do. I was born, lived, educated, worked and met lifelong friends in many parts of Cleveland, and have to tell you after 36 years, I am more than ready to leave. With all the good comes other issues. If you are originally from NY you are used to the awful weather....this may not bother you, but I am so tired of the gray skies (northeast Ohio averages roughly 65 days of sunshine per year - that's pathetic). The economy as a whole is terrible here (we were just ranked the poorest large city in the country - yes I know this does not reflect the suburbs, but it will inevitably effect the surrounding areas), the housing market is awful (at least for me being on the selling end to get out of here - many houses sit for weeks or months). Many jobs have left this area over the years....it all started with the steel industry and trickled down hill to even the medical field. Malpractice laws have forced out many doctors. I am only quoting what I know and what has been written.
Do yourself a favor and keep up the research on all areas around the city proper. The facts are the facts. Hopefully you don't enjoy getting out and doing a lot in the outdoors. True most places have their share of inclimate weather, but this is the most unpredictable place in OH for sure, especially near the lake (the weather people have the easiest job here since they are rarely correct on their predictions and just blame it on the "lake effect", shifting winds, unstable patterns, Canada winds, etc.)....If you are looking at the lake shore cities, I hope you like shoveling lots of snow and people that can't drive in it very well, either. There are attractions and cultural activities that I feel are attributes, but can be found in many other cities without as much negatives to go with it such as the theatre, symphonies, art museums, etc.
I hate to sound so down, but I am ready to go and these are my realistic reasons why. If I owned my current business in a thriving economy and this place offered more than great places to drink and stuff my face for 7 out of 12 months, I may not feel so passionate about it.
By the way, we are looking to move South...maybe we can just trade locations!
Good luck.

Old 11-03-2006, 03:04 PM

976 posts, read 3,860,735 times
Its a shame that sometimes people dont know the full story or all the facts. Cleveland is bringing in new jobs. Its called transforming the economy. It has just been elected a new Tech Czar city, and it is also moving very quickly towards the medical field. The Cleveland Clinic is proof of that. Cleveland is overall a great metro to live in. Has been voted the best livable metro in the nation. Gino, i wish you the best of luck in your move elsewhere. Hope everything works out.

Old 11-03-2006, 03:53 PM

Paintballer....I hope no one misunderstands my rantings as being mere opinions. Being a business owner of two different businesses which deal largely with the automotive industry, I can assure you my points are right as rain. Everything comes in cycles and the economy will come around, but the executives in my field are all I can go by. As far as the medical field, I understand that the Clinic is the best not only in the nation, but in the world...no one can deny that, but if we are speaking of jobs, unless you are a doctor or therapist, etc. is a mute point. My uncle has been a director or higher in hospitals all over the nation and very true Cleveland area has the best quality and knowledge for someone seeking unique medical attention. The third company I own is a real estate investment corp. along with two other fellas...one a lawyer/accountant and the other an x-ray tech. We own vacation properties and do comps in many different areas and I can assure you the market here is not the greatest.....jobs, tourism, real estate, or otherwise.
I truly appreciate your pride in Cleveland....you make valid points...from what I can see you spend a lot of time on the posts and I am sure you have equal time invested in your research that boasts Cleveland, OH as a great place to live, but please recognize I have made some valid points as well. I cannot help the surveys and that we are a poor city...it's just that way. As I see you live near Cin. not Cleveland....totally different world down there....nothing like Cleveland....better weather, nicer to visit, for sure...at least the times I have been there. I did not intend to start any arguments by my post, but all in all, if these folks did not have to move here because of relocation.....would someone truly choose to live here compared to all the other places in the US? Let's be honest with one another.
I appreciate your input and take care.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:51 PM

^ I understand completely, and you have made some very good points. You are very right in some of the things you say. Just to give you a pointer, i lived in Cleveland (Westlake) back in August. I moved to Cincinnati just a few months ago. One thing i would like to point out is that even though Cleveland is poor, doesnt mean it has a bad economy. Many people think being poor, then the city must have a horrible economy. Most of the major developments going on in Cleveland are over the billion dollar mark, Cleveland is experiencing a 32% growth rate in its downtown population, and it should be near 20,000 near 2010, just in the downtown. Cleveland is seeing a lot of change. Give it a few years. You have to have faith. Cleveland is a nice city, it has its goods and bads just like every single major U.S. city out there. Once again, gino, best of luck in finding a new place to move to.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:06 AM

Westlake is a great city....my Uncle (in the medical field) during one of his stints here lived in Westlake for a few years....great community. I think a lot of Cleveland's problems exist at a personal level. If more people took more pride and promoted it more and had a better work ethic and attitude in general Cleveland would be held in higher regard.
Take care..

Old 11-06-2006, 03:34 PM

Once again thanks, Gino. Westlake truly was a great suburb. My favorite suburbs of Cleveland were down by the Nat'l Park. Brecksville, Solon, Sagamore Hills, Independence, and North Royalton. I really do agree with you, more people need to take pride in the city of Cleveland. You see more and more starting to.

Sincerly,
Paintballer

Old 11-07-2006, 01:58 AM

6 posts, read 26,967 times
I've been following this thread with interest. I lived in the Cleveland area for 44 years. I moved 9 years ago, but my entire extended family is still there and I visit frequently. Gina Nardo and Subway's opinions and facts offered about Cleveland are, IMO, very accurate. Paintball, you seem to be a sincere person, but I can't help but wonder if you have some professional bias on this matter that is coloring your perceptions about Cleveland?

Old 11-07-2006, 03:40 PM

^ I dont know why i would lie about this or say many positives about Cleveland if i did not like it there. Gino and Subway are very right on some of what they are saying. It really upsets me when people question my line of work. I worked for the city for two years, i experienced a lot. Cleveland is really making a huge comeback. You dont have to believe it if you dont want to. I lived in Michigan for six months. Living outside of Detroit was too much for me, i could not take it so i left. I lived in Cleveland because i loved it there, there was never a dull moment and i loved the people i worked with. We always were optimistic all the time for the new projects coming in. For the past few years there have been more and more, and that is always great news. I worked for the city, and i knew what was going on. Its a great city and a great metro to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland