Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 07:32 PM

35 posts, read 221,540 times

Advertisements

Yeah, January, not a great month to make a move to Ohio, I know! We are both originally from Syracuse, NY, so we are used to the snow! However, we will actually be moving from Columbia, SC, where my husband is stationed now. My husband's job is moving him to Cleveland. I have been reading what you all have written, and it is helpful. From what everyone has written, Painesville sounds nice. How far is Mentor from there? Can anyone tell me about Ravenna, Lorain, and Medina? We are trying to narrow down areas. I am looking forward to getting out of SC, and moving back north!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2006, 12:41 PM
HAS

106 posts, read 592,882 times
Thumbs up Painesville/Mentor

I'm glad you are showing interest in the Mentor/Painesville area! If you couldn't tell, I live here, so of course I always tell people how nice it is. I actually live in Painesville, which I prefer to Mentor. Mentor is much more developed (almost like a mini-Cleveland...YIKES ) with LOTS of traffic due to all of the businesses and such. Living in Painesville, I can be just 10 minutes away from Mentor, allowing me to access it when I want to, but stay away from it when I want to as well.

Housing costs are significantly less in Painesville as well, but if that doesn't matter, then Mentor has some very nice homes. Of course, it's not as if you can't find an expensive home in Painesville...you most certainly can, but you'll most likely get more bang for your buck in Painesville.

I do have to warn you, though, that there are two parts to Painesville: the City and the Township. It's strange, I know, but it's something you need to be aware of when looking at houses and schools. Painesville City is what it sounds...a city. There are lots of problems in the City (crime, drugs, etc.) and it is easily seen withint the school systems. Assuming that you are considering schools, I would suggest the Painesville Township School District over that of Painesville City or Mentor. Mentor is certainly nice, but they are in HUGE debt troubles. Painesville Township schools are also very nice...a little out-dated, but great education and not so much debt.

Anyways...if you've got anymore questions, I'd be happy to help you. Good luck!

Old 10-11-2006, 07:36 PM

Thanks HAS for the reply. We are definately going to look into the Painesville area. From what everyone says, it will probably be our first choice. Actually, we don't have children yet, so schools aren't a huge priority at this time. My 2 step daughters live with their mother in Maryland, so we see them on school breaks and holidays.
Anyway, can you tell me about other areas, such as Olmstead Falls, Sagamore Hills, Vermilion, Brook Park. How about Cuyahoga county? Really, any information at all that you can tell me about any other areas would be great. I'll take whatever ya got! I dont' think I read anything that great about Lorain, is that right? As for housing, right now we can't afford more than 150k. So that may limit us, and will probably have to be looking at older houses for the most part, with that kind of budget. Are there any actual sub-divisions that you can think of that would be worth looking at? And of course, we are looking for safe neighborhoods, as most people are. Oh, also, what about the city of Cleveland itself? Are there nice areas of the city to live, or stay away from the entire city? Thanks for your help! I greatly appreciate it!

Old 10-11-2006, 07:42 PM

976 posts, read 3,859,926 times
^ LOL i was hoping you would mention some of the other suburbs. Cleveland has such a great choice of suburbs to choose from. Sagamore Hills is a very ritzy suburbs. Same with Seven Hills, Independence, Brecksville, and Solon. That is around Cuyahoga Nat'l Park. Is your husband working in downtown Cleveland, or is his office out in the suburbs? I would really check out the western suburbs of Cleveland. Westlake, Brook Park, Avon Lake, Avon, Olmsted Falls, North Olmsted, and Bay Village. These areas have a lot of entertainment, not far from downtown Cleveland. Great beaches in the summer time. And booming economies and great school districts.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:46 PM

976 posts, read 3,859,926 times
BTW, Cleveland is a great city. Its not like Detroit where you have to fear for your life. Its more like Minneapolis and Milwaukee. See the suburbanites in Detroit pride themselves on not stepping a foot in downtown Detroit. In Cleveland a lot of suburbanites head to downtown Cleveland on Friday nights. So much entertainment, amazing restaurants, and clubs. The parks of Edgewater and Gordon are right on the lakefront. Great beaches and awesome views of the Cleveland skyline. Downtown Cleveland has been voted as one of the best downtowns in the nation according to MoneyMagazine. Downtown Cleveland is really booming lately. If you are looking into moving to downtown there are some really nice condo units going in. Cleveland's downtown population is really starting to boom. It has grown about 32% since 2003. Cleveland is a great metro and a great city.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:55 PM

Thanks Paintballer, I've been waiting for your response! I must say that I am relieved to hear such nice things about Cleveland, since we've never been there. And we're only going to be about a 5 hour drive from our home town of Syracuse, which will be nice. Right now we're probably 13 hours! Cleveland sounds like good people, which will be so nice. Down here in SC, the people aren't so friendly, and it depresses me, since I'm a very friendly person. It really was a shock to me.
Anyway, we actually are waiting to find out where they are putting my husband. He could be in downtown Cleveland, Mentor, Lorain, Ravenna, Parma, or Medina. I know! From what it looks like, they all aren't too far from each other, is that right? Yeah, I figured some of those areas that I mentioned where ritzy. I'm thinking maybe we will rent, since we will be arriving right in the middle of winter. Then we will have time to learn the areas, and in the spring start looking in to buying again. Is there any definate areas to stay away from?
Also, not sure if you have pets, but do you, or anyone else reading this, know of a good vet to recommend? Well thanks again for all your info. Anything else you think of that could help, I'm all ears.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:01 PM

How about Northfield?
Oh, and also if anyone knows of a good realtor, that'd help too!

Old 10-11-2006, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 9,223 times
Thumbs down hi this is jerry barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiyc View Post
Thanks Paintballer, I've been waiting for your response! I must say that I am relieved to hear such nice things about Cleveland, since we've never been there. And we're only going to be about a 5 hour drive from our home town of Syracuse, which will be nice. Right now we're probably 13 hours! Cleveland sounds like good people, which will be so nice. Down here in SC, the people aren't so friendly, and it depresses me, since I'm a very friendly person. It really was a shock to me.
Anyway, we actually are waiting to find out where they are putting my husband. He could be in downtown Cleveland, Mentor, Lorain, Ravenna, Parma, or Medina. I know! From what it looks like, they all aren't too far from each other, is that right? Yeah, I figured some of those areas that I mentioned where ritzy. I'm thinking maybe we will rent, since we will be arriving right in the middle of winter. Then we will have time to learn the areas, and in the spring start looking in to buying again. Is there any definate areas to stay away from?
Also, not sure if you have pets, but do you, or anyone else reading this, know of a good vet to recommend? Well thanks again for all your info. Anything else you think of that could help, I'm all ears.
hi not sure who u r but i read ur thing and let me tell u right look at crime in cleve i live in warren u dont want to move but u thinking of cleve dddoooonnnnnttttttttt do that look at the crime in cleve go to param or even ravana the rest i dont know about if u want call ill tell u want u want or dont want to here 330 469 2539

Old 10-12-2006, 05:01 PM
HAS

106 posts, read 592,882 times
Default Not too sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiyc View Post
Thanks HAS for the reply. We are definately going to look into the Painesville area. From what everyone says, it will probably be our first choice. Actually, we don't have children yet, so schools aren't a huge priority at this time. My 2 step daughters live with their mother in Maryland, so we see them on school breaks and holidays.
Anyway, can you tell me about other areas, such as Olmstead Falls, Sagamore Hills, Vermilion, Brook Park. How about Cuyahoga county? Really, any information at all that you can tell me about any other areas would be great. I'll take whatever ya got! I dont' think I read anything that great about Lorain, is that right? As for housing, right now we can't afford more than 150k. So that may limit us, and will probably have to be looking at older houses for the most part, with that kind of budget. Are there any actual sub-divisions that you can think of that would be worth looking at? And of course, we are looking for safe neighborhoods, as most people are. Oh, also, what about the city of Cleveland itself? Are there nice areas of the city to live, or stay away from the entire city? Thanks for your help! I greatly appreciate it!

Sadly, though I've lived in Ohio my entire life, I've never really familiarized myself with all of the suburbs of Cleveland, so I won't be of much help with those areas. HOWEVER, paintballer can definitely help you...I see he's already started informing you about these places.

Good luck with your move...I hope the weather is OK when you guys get started here in OH. We're already supposed to have snow by tomorrow! Maybe you'll get lucky and we'll have a mild January...

Old 10-12-2006, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 9,224 times
Default Welcome home.

So, you are moving back to the greater Cleveland area. Since you seem set on Painesville, I won't try to dissuade you, since I know very little of the city.
However, I can tell you about some of the other areas you mentioned.

Brookpark is pretty much a blue collar community with a mix of older families and young families getting started in life. They are part of the Berea School System and have a decent tax base, althought it is not what it once was. The Ford Plant is located in the city of Brookpark, which is just west of the airport. Also, the Exposition Center is there, as well. They have a nice recreation center, too.

Olmsted Falls and Olmsted Township share a joint school system but have separate governments. Olmsted Falls is small with a poor tax base - primarily residential-farmland become suburban; Olmsted Township is very countrified but has a better tax base because of the land available there. It is situated west of Berea and South of North Olmsted in a rather isolated location, although it is not far from North Olmsted, the mall, and the many restaurants and shopping available there. The school system is rock solid but the taxes are high.

Given the price range you have available for a home, I would suggest North Olmsted, Parma, Brookpark, or Brooklyn, on the westside. Brooklyn is an older community, a small school system, a beautiful recreation center, and some tax base.

Parma is one of the largest cities in Ohio, aside from the majors. Older, established, mixed population, just like any city.

If you were to consider any part of Cleveland, I would only recommend the Kamm's corner area on the far westside of the city. But I wouldn't live in Cleveland if you gave me a house. Too big, too inefficient, too hard to sell your house.

I've gone on too long. Hope this message helps you. Good luck on your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland