Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 08:44 AM

99 posts, read 243,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal1Lady View Post
Well, we are actually visiting Swansboro, NC as I write this. Decided to drive down from NH to check out this area and get away from the brutally bitter cold New England weather. Except we hit NC and lo and behold they are experiencing quite a bit of cold themselves. But this "cold" weather is extremely unusual, the locals informed us. Typical day February weather, at the very worst, is in the 40s. By the way, we checked out the Sneads Ferry and Beaufort communities. Profoundly disappointed! Not areas we would consider at all. Did love Emerald Isle and Swanboro ... and we will also be exploring Calabash and Carolina Shores later this week. We understand their weather is considerably milder, so we'll see how the rest of our week goes. And now we do understand the "rain issue" is nowhere near as bad as we originally thought. NC is really looking like a very nice place to retire and enjoy life.
We bailed out of New England in Sept. and have been enjoying SE Brunswick County since. I may miss the xcountry skiing of New England but I'll get over it. We have had some rain but over all the weather has been fairly mild. The beaches are wonderful, we will have an extended gardening season and there is plenty of water to kayak. Great place to be. The Carolina Blue Skies will add years to your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 16,084 times
My wife and I are looking at places in this location. CS caught my eye about 6 months ago. I've done a lot of research on it. One question I have what is the 'bug' situation like? Mosquitos at night, sundown, sunup? Any thoughts?

Old 03-27-2015, 03:32 PM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times
The Bug Situation ...

Well, like most every thing else, I'm no expert. NC is heavily wooded. It also has a lot of bugs, especially in summer.

Hardly a year goes by that I don't see some kind of bug I have never seen before.

There are some nasty bugs including black widow spiders and ticks, red bugs, wasps, fire ants, wood boring bees, and "chiggers". Rarely, if the wind is not blowing, biting fly's on the beach can draw blood. Of course there are mosquitoes.

Now that you are scared of ever coming here, day to day they are not a real problem. Outside in the evening, in some areas, mosquitoes can be a problem. If you are on an out door patio, something as simple as an oscillating fan goes a log way toward keeping small flying bugs away.

I would highly recommend screened in porches and if you like to open windows, screens on them as well. Keep your favorite insect repellent handy for walks in the woods or more secluded areas.

Termites can be a problem. Have any home checked well before purchasing. Contract with a good exterminator to keep your house sprayed and protected. It will protect your investment and keep pesky critters inside to a minimum.

Having said all that there is something magical about seeing a dragon fly on the breeze, or a warm night with hundreds of lighting bugs blinking, the sound of cicadas in trees and butterflys.

Yes, we live with all kinds of bugs and the further south you go, the more you will live with.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:35 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal1Lady View Post
We initially drove to Emerald Isle the first week of April 2014 strictly to visit friends who relocated there from NJ. We also visited Beaufort and liked both areas. So much so, that is when we seriously began to think about retiring from NH to that Coastal NC area. We then visited with family in Wilmington, but found that too crowded, too congested and too city-like.

However, I now have a questions regarding the weather, specifically the weather in the winter months.

I have been following the weather in the North Carolina Coastal area via the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration website:

.http://www.noaa.gov/

Could not help but notice that commencing with October, but particularly during the months of November and December, the weather in the Newport, Emerald Isle, Beaufort, Swansboro, and Sneads Ferry areas often reflected a 30%, 50% or even 70% chance of rain, almost on a consistent weekly basis. Not exacty happy about those stats

So ... would like to hear comments on this matter, i.e., just how often does it actually does rain, how much, are those statistics very true OR is it more of a 20% chance of rain, etc., etc., in those weeks of late October thru end of February, beginning of March.

Looking forward to your responses ... thank you.
From the Virginia line to Wilmington, NC is called "Hurricane Alley" for a reason.

From Wilmington east to the S.C border gets LESS hurricane activity then Maryland does.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:10 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
From the Virginia line to Wilmington, NC is called "Hurricane Alley" for a reason.
It is? In 55 years, I've never heard that reference.

Quote:
From Wilmington east to the S.C border gets LESS hurricane activity then Maryland does.
I guess SC has moved...it used to be south of NC. Must be global warming!

Maryland? What the heck?

Old 12-06-2015, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
It is? In 55 years, I've never heard that reference.

I guess SC has moved...it used to be south of NC. Must be global warming!

Maryland? What the heck?
"It is? In 55 years, I've never heard that reference."

You must be one of tHose, "just BECAUSE I haven't heard of it, means it doesn't exist".

"I guess SC has moved...it used to be south of NC. Must be global warming!"

I suggest you LOOK at a map the next time BEFORE you make a complete fool of yourself!

"Maryland? What the heck?"

If something is OVER YOUR HEAD, you shouldn't make comments.

Many people from the Norheast who are looking to move to the Carolinas KNOW how much hurricane activity Maryland gets.

I was giving a comparison.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:11 AM

Quote:
"It is? In 55 years, I've never heard that reference."

You must be one of tHose, "just BECAUSE I haven't heard of it, means it doesn't exist".

"I guess SC has moved...it used to be south of NC. Must be global warming!"

I suggest you LOOK at a map the next time BEFORE you make a complete fool of yourself!

"Maryland? What the heck?"

If something is OVER YOUR HEAD, you shouldn't make comments.

Many people from the Norheast who are looking to move to the Carolinas KNOW how much hurricane activity Maryland gets.

I was giving a comparison.
So please provide some evidence anyone other than YOU refers to the area as "Hurricane Alley".

I HAVE looked at a map. And the SC border isn't east of Wilmington...its approximately WEST. So who is the "fool"? Apparently, basic geography is OVER YOUR HEAD, lol.

No one in any previous thread mentioned Maryland. That was the basis of my comment...it was a completely random comment on your part, with no context. How many hurricanes strike Maryland?

Attempting to make statistical comparisons regarding hurricane strikes for a tiny part of a single state is foolish, btw.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:43 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Maryland's "hurricane activity" comes in the form of remnants of hurricanes that come up from the south. Since 1980 Maryland has only received steady hurricane force winds twice. A hurricane coming "straight up the Bay" has only occurred once and that was in 1955 with Hurricane Connie.

One of the reasons that we moved from Maryland to North Carolina was to get closer to the tropical action.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
So please provide some evidence anyone other than YOU refers to the area as "Hurricane Alley".

I HAVE looked at a map. And the SC border isn't east of Wilmington...its approximately WEST. So who is the "fool"? Apparently, basic geography is OVER YOUR HEAD, lol.

No one in any previous thread mentioned Maryland. That was the basis of my comment...it was a completely random comment on your part, with no context. How many hurricanes strike Maryland?

Attempting to make statistical comparisons regarding hurricane strikes for a tiny part of a single state is foolish, btw.
" How many hurricanes strike Maryland?"

I have NO idea.

What I DID say was that the Calabash are had LESS hurricane '"ACTIVITY" then MD when i ceck before moving here.

"So please provide some evidence anyone other than YOU refers to the area as "Hurricane Alley"."

I DON'T have to prove a thing.

YOU said YOU have never heard of it.
I said I did, which PROVES that IT HAS BEEN said.

"I HAVE looked at a map. And the SC border isn't east of Wilmington...its approximately WEST. So who is the "fool"? Apparently, basic geography is OVER YOUR HEAD, lol."

Oh my God, I made a TYPO, shoot me.

What about claiming NC is NORTH of SC? Quote, ""I guess SC has moved...it used to be south of NC. Must be global warming!"

Part of NC is even with or MORE SOUTH then about half of SC.

"I HAVE looked at a map. So who is the "fool"? Apparently, basic geography is OVER YOUR HEAD, lol."

The map shows that the southernmost area of NC goes east-west and big part of NC is ACTUALLY more south then about half of SC.

I'll let the rest of the readers decide for themselves who the "fool" is.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
" How many hurricanes strike Maryland?"

I have NO idea.

What I DID say was that the Calabash are had LESS hurricane '"ACTIVITY" then MD when i ceck before moving here.
So you checked how many hurricanes strike Maryland, but you don't know how many strike Maryland. Umm, ok.

Quote:
"So please provide some evidence anyone other than YOU refers to the area as "Hurricane Alley"."

I DON'T have to prove a thing.

YOU said YOU have never heard of it.
I said I did, which PROVES that IT HAS BEEN said.
No, it proves absolutely nothing. No part of NC has even been referred to as "Hurricane Alley" in any sort of common, popular usage. Period.

Quote:
I'll let the rest of the readers decide for themselves who the "fool" is.
I'm definitely good with that, although the opinions of others seems to be more important to you than to me.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 12-13-2015 at 12:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina