Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 05:37 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
So you checked how many hurricanes strike Maryland, but you don't know how many strike Maryland. Umm, ok.

No, it proves absolutely nothing. No part of NC has even been referred to as "Hurricane Alley" in any sort of common, popular usage. Period.

I'm definitely good with that, although the opinions of others seems to be more important to you than to me.
Obviously you DON'T know the difference between a hurricane "striking" and Hurricane "activity"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 08:38 AM

6 posts, read 15,340 times
Wow! Seems a fairly angry thread. But let me throw in my 2 cents as if the original poster is even reading this:

I'm not sure what weather you're reading, but Eastern North Carolina is not like the Pacific Northwest, west of the Cascade Mountains (the continuous rain people picture as "Seattle" weather).

Yes, we get hurricanes in the southeastern U.S.; yes, more frequently and genrally stronger than those that hit Maryland, but probably less frequently than somewhere like Florida. As long as you learn about them and PREPARE for them, hurricane's are generally NOT a tremendous danger (unless you live ON a barrier island). Every place has their natural hazards; tornados bother me 100 times more than hurricanes, so seeing places like Oklahoma or Kansas where they seem more common seem "dangerous" to me (this isn't to say we can't get tornados in NC either).

As a Northerner you'll find Southerners reactions to any snow or ice laughable.... until you get on the road with them and you realize that most people and governments in the south are unprepared for it and don't handle it well. Stay off the roads these people will slide into you.

Yes, we have insects you probably don't have "up north" (Palmetto Bugs, giant roaches that can fly seem to be the ones that freak most northerners out the most). You get used to them and can also try some home remedies (boric acid) to deter them. Step on them if you aren't squeamish. And we do have mosquitos, in some places they can be bothersome (try not to have standing water in things like flower pots, etc.). And we might have more types of (poisonous) snakes in the south than up north, but you likely will never see one.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:36 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
How are you folks along the coast holding up with all this rain ?.....my brother is in Calabash, and my nephew (his son) is in Sunset Beach

Old 09-03-2016, 07:20 AM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Hermine was pretty mild on the southern coast of NC. Here around Southport there has been no reported major damage, maybe a few downed trees. Some local flooding, mostly draining well. Wind gusts were only about 35 mph, a stiff breeze for sailors. It took me about an hour to pick up loose sticks and pine needles out of the yard. My apologies in advance if anyone suffered significant damage but for the most part, this storm just provided some needed rain.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:24 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Yeah, Hermine was mostly rain, and minimal wind. One dead branch blew down in our yard, and we did not loose power.

I think the media uses scare tactics to increase their ratings.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:32 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Yeah, Hermine was mostly rain, and minimal wind. One dead branch blew down in our yard, and we did not loose power.

I think the media uses scare tactics to increase their ratings.
They do, and TWC and their shills are the worst.

But, the worst thing people can do is get complacent. Especially new people to coastal areas. I cringe every time I see someone blow these things off!

We had at least 8 1/2 + inches of rain (maxed out the gage), but I don't see any additional limbs down in the yard.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:10 AM

34 posts, read 55,703 times
Time to revive this thead about weather in Coastal North Carolina!.

Here is my dilemma- Has anyone (other than me), struggled to convince his/her spouse to consider moving to Coastal NC? I am 62, and very, very close to say "Good Bye" to my boss and retire. My wife is already retired.
Here is the problem though- She doesn't like Hot Humid Summers and I don't like long, cold, miserable Winters, so what gives? . We can cash in and sell our home in the Northeast and basically pay "cash" for a nice home in the Brunswick County are (which we visited last year), and still walk out with a couple of $100K in our pocket.
Is the humidiy and hot weather really that bad down there?. Would I be cursing the day I moved, if I ever did?
I would love to hear from others who are probably feeling sorry they ever moved to Coastal NC.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:44 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjulio2018 View Post
Time to revive this thead about weather in Coastal North Carolina!.

Here is my dilemma- Has anyone (other than me), struggled to convince his/her spouse to consider moving to Coastal NC? I am 62, and very, very close to say "Good Bye" to my boss and retire. My wife is already retired.
Here is the problem though- She doesn't like Hot Humid Summers and I don't like long, cold, miserable Winters, so what gives? . We can cash in and sell our home in the Northeast and basically pay "cash" for a nice home in the Brunswick County are (which we visited last year), and still walk out with a couple of $100K in our pocket.
Is the humidiy and hot weather really that bad down there?. Would I be cursing the day I moved, if I ever did?
I would love to hear from others who are probably feeling sorry they ever moved to Coastal NC.
Thats a difficult, if not impossible question to answer, as everybody's tolerance is different. If you're not familiar with dew point, you might want to research it, as its the best measure of how uncomfortable heat and humidity is. Brunswick County frequently has dew points in the low to mid 70's during June, July, August. That is miserable in anyones book, and if you're not used to it, its almost incapacitating.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:16 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
We are taking the same thing in consideration. I'd rather stay indoors in A/C, than indoors with the Furnace running.....I'm losing my tolerance to cold, especially when we get below 0*F. My family members who move to Calabash and Sunset Beach will be outdoors till it gets bad, then move indoors....same but different than us here in the Northeast.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:32 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjulio2018 View Post
A perspective from a New Englander. Yes, the heat and humidity of the summer is really bad. I stay indoors, except when I have to go out. But on the whole, I would not want to go back to a place with miserable winters. I have lost tolerance for cold as I age.

Here's a consideration: is your wife an outdoor-sports lover, or does she have more indoor interests like reading or sewing. If she's an indoor type, she will be fine. If she loves the outdoors, she should confine her activity to early mornings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina