Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 05:54 AM

7 posts, read 6,956 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Tennessee and am considering a move to NC. I have been looking at coastal towns and was wondering about New Bern. I am 67 years old and a widow and I would have no family there. I do have a small at home business which involves sewing so I also want to be near fabric stores and such. I would be renting. It is on my bucket list to live in a coastal town. Any thoughts on this area would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 07:06 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlettrae View Post
..... I have been looking at coastal I do have a small at home business which involves sewing so I also want to be near fabric stores and such. .....
New Bern is a wonderful town with lots of historic character. It is over an hour to the closest beach, but it has many opportunities to enjoy the riverfront.

There is a wonderful quilting fabric and sewing machine repair shop called Sewing on The River. It carries Baby Lock. There are other shops that carry Pfaff and Bernina.

There is also a hospital and decent medical care.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:22 AM

Thank you. I am planning a weekend trip over there around the 1st part of June. Any recommendations as to where to stay, eat, etc.

Old 04-16-2022, 08:30 AM

The Doubletree is the most central, and the Bridgepoint is adequate. The are some lovely B and B inns, if you can get a reservation. I have only eaten in the chain places, so I cannot recommend a restaurant.

Old 04-16-2022, 09:59 AM

Thank you.

Old 04-16-2022, 11:06 AM

234 posts, read 266,625 times
There is plenty to see and do in the charming small town of New Bern. I recommend you visit and stay in a downtown hotel or B&B. From there you can explore the many fine restaurants, shops, and tourist spots of interests. The town's history dates back more than 300 years.

Be sure to visit Tryon Palace (reconstruction of the colonial governor's HQ) and the NC History Center.

There is also a trolley tour you might enjoy to learn about the history: https://www.newberntours.com/

Here are just a few downtown restaurants to checkout: (in no particular order)

Morgan's Tavern
The Chelsea
Persimmons Restaurant
Cypress Hall
Bay Leaf Indian Restaurant
MJ's Raw Bar & Grille
Capt Ratty's

Old 04-16-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrighterDays View Post
There is plenty to see and do in the charming small town of New Bern. I recommend you visit and stay in a downtown hotel or B&B. From there you can explore the many fine restaurants, shops, and tourist spots of interests. The town's history dates back more than 300 years.

Be sure to visit Tryon Palace (reconstruction of the colonial governor's HQ) and the NC History Center.

There is also a trolley tour you might enjoy to learn about the history: https://www.newberntours.com/

Here are just a few downtown restaurants to checkout: (in no particular order)

Morgan's Tavern
The Chelsea
Persimmons Restaurant
Cypress Hall
Bay Leaf Indian Restaurant
MJ's Raw Bar & Grille
Capt Ratty's

Thank you so much. Do you by chance know of areas I should look at for possible rentals? I won't be moving for a few months, but I am wanting to check out the area. Thanks again.

Old 04-16-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlettrae View Post
Thank you so much. Do you by chance know of areas I should look at for possible rentals? I won't be moving for a few months, but I am wanting to check out the area. Thanks again.
If you are looking for apartments, look for a nice suburban area west of the city. Avoid the downtown, as there are some low-income housing projects.
If you are looking for a house, also look at James City and Havelock east and south of the city. If you have generous budget (over $3000) look at Taberna and Carolina Colours.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-16-2022 at 01:20 PM..

Old 04-16-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If you are looking for apartments, look for a nice suburban area west of the city. Avoid the downtown, as there are some low-income housing projects.
If you are looking for a house, also look at James City and Havelock east and south of the city. If you have generous budget (over $3000) look at Taberna and Carolina Colours.
Thank you for the suggestions.

Old 04-16-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

When you say west are you referring to where Target, Publix, Lowes and other stores are off of MLK Jr Blvd?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina