Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 6,907 times

Advertisements

Hi. I did a search on "bugs" and the threads are old. Am thinking about moving to Wilmington but bugs love to bite me. What has been your experience with biting bugs year round, when it's good to bad, and what you use to repel them?

thanks! Kerry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2022, 01:19 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Many jurisdictions spray for mosquitoes. The biting season is only bad in summer. Unless you work outdoors, I would not be too concerned.
I have a pair of treated "BugsAway" slacks when I need them. The company also makes shirts.

Old 05-17-2022, 06:20 AM

So you don't have to spray yourself at the beach? (ticks, no-seeums, fleas...). thanks!

Old 05-17-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboytzun View Post
So you don't have to spray yourself at the beach? (ticks, no-seeums, fleas...). thanks!
No, I did not say that. I was only addressing housing neighborhoods as you asked about Wilmington not the beaches.
Beaches are public, and I don't think the towns spray. From previous comments, I suggest using a strong insect repellant.

Old 05-17-2022, 05:21 PM

Are the beaches not in the Wilmington area? So the beaches are loaded with biting bugs? Those of us that are concerned about bugs want to know if the beach--kind of the reason to move here--is a bug haven. I'm from Alberta where Edmonton is a mosquito haven but the rocky mountains are better. Vancouver, BC has next to no bugs at all...you won't find screens on the windows. thanks.

Old 05-17-2022, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboytzun View Post
Are the beaches not in the Wilmington area? So the beaches are loaded with biting bugs?....... Vancouver, BC has next to no bugs at all...you won't find screens on the windows. thanks.
The Wilmington *area* has nearby Carolina Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Kure Beach, Topsail Beach, etc, but they are separate town governments. Each town decides independently whether to spray for bugs. Individual property owners can also decide whether to pay for spraying.

Personally, I do not go to the beaches in the summer, only in the winter. I know from reading old reports that there are biting flies on some beaches. But, I cannot say the they are "loaded" with bugs. It is certainly not like Vancouver, but then, the North Carolina beaches are warmer in the summer which encourages insect growth. See this example: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser..._Carolina.html

I hope you will visit this summer and decide for yourself.

Old 05-17-2022, 05:56 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times
We spent a few days at Wrightsville last September, Atlantic Beach the previous September. No-seeums at both for sure.

Old 05-17-2022, 06:14 PM

The use of insecticides is problematic because they are know to harm birds and sea turtles.

Old 05-17-2022, 06:40 PM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
I've spent a lot of time at NC beaches in my 61 years (Primarily from Atlantic Beach to Oak Island), and I have rarely been bothered by biting insects, and have never applied bug spray while on the beach. Sometimes, if the wind is blowing out from inland, it will bring biting flies out on the beach, but this isn't common.

Old 05-17-2022, 07:18 PM

176 posts, read 238,984 times
If you want to know if this area has biting insects then the answer is "yes" It is hot and humid in the summer and insects love that kind of weather. Bugs love to bite me. If I am in a group of people I may be the only one bitten in the whole group. You definitely need to wear bug spray. We have mosquitos, no -seeums, sand fleas, deer flies, horse flies, and a variety of other bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina