Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 05:11 PM

4,887 posts, read 4,830,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Nobody wants the CD's for this. They want the records, that's the point!

It's digital media, and that's especially how young record buyers view it. CD's are for older buyers that don't know how to use the internet.

Although there are many instances where you are getting excellent sound quality on CD pressings, even better than records, or some random upload on the net. Still not viewed that way.

Jazz CD's, Japan CD's with the OBI, MFSL, Rolling Stones on London CD's, not ABKO, early West German CD's, rare promos...........there is demand, it's the pressing/when it was made, and the artist.
I am an older buyer and I know how to use the internet.

I prefer to own the music I like rather than rent it. For many years I was a record collector, 45s and LPs, but I sold them all in the early 2000s along with my analog equipment. I had about 2,500 LPs back to the 10 inchers and a couple of thousand 45s going back to the mid-1950s, even some 78s. I decided that listening is more important to me than the numbers etched on an LP, or if the 45 is an obscure label or Decca, or whether the cover has worn corners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 05:26 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,973,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
I am an older buyer and I know how to use the internet.

I prefer to own the music I like rather than rent it. For many years I was a record collector, 45s and LPs, but I sold them all in the early 2000s along with my analog equipment. I had about 2,500 LPs back to the 10 inchers and a couple of thousand 45s going back to the mid-1950s, even some 78s. I decided that listening is more important to me than the numbers etched on an LP, or if the 45 is an obscure label or Decca, or whether the cover has worn corners.
So you know how to use the internet?

It's great that the music is more important to you. I enjoy it as well, but I like money even more......

Old 07-12-2020, 09:52 AM

Just bought a 100 count of 3 Mil bags for $20 shipped.

Old 07-31-2020, 01:03 PM

32,685 posts, read 48,217,712 times
Bringing this note back to to comment:

I've been cleaning and re-covering the LP's a couple every day as I listen to them. The paper sleeves that I bought are very much like the originals, except for a few high priced albums where the records were in some sort of plastic or vinyl cover. The LP's in those plastic-like covers were all still quite clean.

Even with the paper sleeves, no record needed anything more than a dusting. Everything is in good condition in spite if spending decades in the barn; no scratches, no warping. I was careful that the LPs were always stored on edge, even when they were tucked out of the way and that helps to keep them in good condition.

I was surprised to see the price stickers on some of the albums. Those things were darned expensive, considering what money was worth at the time I bought them. No wonder every purchase was very carefully considered before I laid my money down. That careful consideration paid off because I still like them all. Except maybe the Stevie Nix who was a great favorite and now sounds the epitome of the 60's and very dated.

Old 08-28-2020, 08:05 PM

905 posts, read 1,105,592 times
Saw this and thought I'd pop in.

I always buy poly sleeves for the outer jackets on my LPs, as it helps keep them in nice shape/minimizes shelf/handling wear.

For inner sleeves, I'm a fan of the Mobile Fidelity sleeves - they're a bit spendy compared to basic replacement paper sleeves, but well worth it IMO - especially for rare/valuable LPs (they do a better job of preventing possible scuffs/scratches from removing and inserting the LP than a paper jacket).

Other than that, I just try to keep the LPs clean with a decent cleaning routine. Any used records I buy get a good "deep cleaning" before a needle touches them (A record cleaning machine is best for this, but something like a Spin-Clean does pretty well for less money/much less noise). I also use a record brush to wipe away any loose dust that may accumulate before a side gets played.

Old 08-29-2020, 11:30 AM

I'm still waiting for my last order of exterior sleeves. Delivery keeps getting pushed back. I've still got 48 single albums to clean and re-cover

I did the order specifically to get the sleeves. Everything else ordered at the same time was delivered long ago.

I suspect that the sleeves are made in China and deliveries of all sorts of Chinese goods has been delayed.

Ca anyone suggest covers for the boxed sets? I'll replace the paper sleeves, but can't figure out how to protect the box they are stored in.

Old 08-30-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm still waiting for my last order of exterior sleeves. Delivery keeps getting pushed back. I've still got 48 single albums to clean and re-cover

I did the order specifically to get the sleeves. Everything else ordered at the same time was delivered long ago.

I suspect that the sleeves are made in China and deliveries of all sorts of Chinese goods has been delayed.

Ca anyone suggest covers for the boxed sets? I'll replace the paper sleeves, but can't figure out how to protect the box they are stored in.
The internet is your friend.......

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/product...l-polyethylene

Old 09-05-2020, 10:56 AM

I just received a notice that my order for sleeves has been cancelled because they can't get the goods to fill the order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques