Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 01:53 PM

32,685 posts, read 48,217,712 times

Advertisements

I'm really enjoying playing my LP collection gain, but it occurred to me that I'm cleaning them and then putting them back into a dirty sleeve. So I am going to order new sleeves. Happy to listen to recommendations.

But the question for this post is: should I also buy them all the exterior sleeves to protect the covers?

Many of mine still have the cellophane wrapper and covers are in good shape, but I have these things so I can play them and enjoy the music. They are in and out of the storage box and that will wear on the covers.

I have no idea if they are collectible or will ever be worth any money. I don't have any rock and roll and those seem to be the ones with value. Is there some way to find out the value of LPs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 05:42 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,973,601 times
Found this today for 50 Cents....

Anyway you can buy outer sleeve bags online, as well as inner sleeves.

Make sure the outer bags are not to tight. And they come in thicknesses from 1 Mil, to 4 Mil, 4 Mil being more expensive. And 4 Mil just feels tougher. Most of my sleeves are 2 mil, but I have quite a few 4 Mil, and acid free mylar sleeves. All of the newer ones should be acid free whether mylar, or polyethylene.

And a caveat with any paper sleeve, especially new sleeves is the opening can lightly scratch the record. Sometimes you can hear it doing this. For most common records it's not a big deal, and if you handle them carefully you will be okay. But if you ever do figure out you might have something that has value you might seek higher quality sleeves.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=record+sl...nb_sb_ss_i_2_9

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=record+sl...f=nb_sb_noss_1

Old 06-04-2020, 07:56 PM

^
I need to get some a matter a fact.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:22 AM

32,685 posts, read 48,217,712 times
Yikes. Phew, prices.

I've gotten my LP's all cleaned up, covered, new sleeves. Surprisingly they are all in great condition, considering they have spent a couple of decades stored in the barn, and I am really enjoying listening to them.

I picked out my favorites and decided to order more by the same artists. LP's are simply out of the question for the price, but even the CD's are priced up to $285. I was able to get two CD's by Gaberlunzie that I am importing from the UK.

Out of print, I guess. I'll have to pick out some new favorite musicians.

Can anyone suggest a good place to buy Scottish, Irish music, old blues? I've got a bunch of LPs made by Green Linnet, but they are long out of business. I'll be happy to consider current artists if anyone has any suggestions.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:29 AM

Old blues is gonna cost bux.

There has to be some other things wanted besides the prices you are seeing. $285 doesn't tell me what it is.

Old 06-26-2020, 07:35 AM

18,247 posts, read 25,909,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Can anyone suggest a good place to buy Scottish, Irish music, old blues? I've got a bunch of LPs made by Green Linnet, but they are long out of business. I'll be happy to consider current artists if anyone has any suggestions.
Check out MusicScotland.com.

Looks like they handle it all, from Gaelic to bagpipe to fiddle to Scottish bands--and more. They also handle sheet music and dvd's.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:19 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,247,477 times
Quote:
Yikes. Phew, prices.

I've gotten my LP's all cleaned up, covered, new sleeves. Surprisingly they are all in great condition, considering they have spent a couple of decades stored in the barn, and I am really enjoying listening to them.

I picked out my favorites and decided to order more by the same artists. LP's are simply out of the question for the price, but even the CD's are priced up to $285. I was able to get two CD's by Gaberlunzie that I am importing from the UK.

Out of print, I guess. I'll have to pick out some new favorite musicians.

Try discogs.com

Blues
https://www.discogs.com/genre/blues

Old 06-27-2020, 03:19 PM

4,887 posts, read 4,828,714 times
Quote:
How old of the blues? If CD for listening, there's a 2 cd box set of all of Robert Johnson's recordings. Another of Bessie Smith. There's an 8-cd set of Atlantic Rhythm and Blues covering a long period, a 4-cd box of Chess blues covering a lot of the 40s and 50s and Chess box sets of Willie Dixon, Bo Diddley, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf and Chuck Berry. There are other anthologies of BB King, Freddie King, Elmore James, Albert King, Bobby 'Blue' Bland, Billy Holiday, John Lee Hooker and many more.

LP prices run much, much higher than CD prices.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:22 PM

24 posts, read 6,310 times
The other day I was @ a store that sold records cassettes 8tracks and alot of other antiques and valuables..... This guy had the records priced steep alot of them! (Over 30 dollars)

Thats GOOD in a way because it shows they are not treating the media like it has no value..

Old 06-28-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
How old of the blues? If CD for listening, there's a 2 cd box set of all of Robert Johnson's recordings. Another of Bessie Smith. There's an 8-cd set of Atlantic Rhythm and Blues covering a long period, a 4-cd box of Chess blues covering a lot of the 40s and 50s and Chess box sets of Willie Dixon, Bo Diddley, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf and Chuck Berry. There are other anthologies of BB King, Freddie King, Elmore James, Albert King, Bobby 'Blue' Bland, Billy Holiday, John Lee Hooker and many more.

LP prices run much, much higher than CD prices.
Nobody wants the CD's for this. They want the records, that's the point!

It's digital media, and that's especially how young record buyers view it. CD's are for older buyers that don't know how to use the internet.

Although there are many instances where you are getting excellent sound quality on CD pressings, even better than records, or some random upload on the net. Still not viewed that way.

Jazz CD's, Japan CD's with the OBI, MFSL, Rolling Stones on London CD's, not ABKO, early West German CD's, rare promos...........there is demand, it's the pressing/when it was made, and the artist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques