Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2020, 10:36 PM

32,690 posts, read 48,227,692 times

Advertisements

I've been looking for a new bedstead for about 2 years and can't find anything I like. I spotted the most gorgeous bedroom set at an auction and I want it.

But I remembered that old bedsteads are often not the same size as modern mattresses. So, I measured my mattress, and oh darn. It isn't going to fit.

I know where I can get a custom made mattress, but the auction is tomorrow so not enough time to call around and see what can be done.

My son caught a break. I was going to call him and get him out of bed to see if he could pick this set up, which is two states away from me.

Oh well. Back to the hunt. Keeping in mind how important it is to measure before buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 03:35 PM

32,690 posts, read 48,227,692 times
I dug in, figured out how to pay for it, how to ship it, and how to get a mattress for it and then I was seriously outbid.

So much for the rumor that no one wants antiques anymore or that the prices are way down.

Prices looked healthy enough and no bargain for anything in the auction.

Old 01-05-2021, 06:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,128,773 times
Just some food for thought - it may be less expensive and more convenient and easier all the way around just to replace the side boards of an antique bed rather than having a special mattress made.

Old 01-05-2021, 08:22 AM

10,119 posts, read 6,473,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Just some food for thought - it may be less expensive and more convenient and easier all the way around just to replace the side boards of an antique bed rather than having a special mattress made.
The only problem with that is that often the side boards are heavily carved and ornamented and contribute greatly to the overall look of the bed. I would never replace the beautiful side rails of either of my 1870s beds. The walnut bed rails, in particular, rise up and curve with curlicues to meet the tall, ornamented head and footboards. Also, there are lots of custom mattresses that are not very expensive at all, and for the short term a large piece of foam on particleboard can always suffice. I've even used a futon mattress.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:14 AM

4,615 posts, read 6,402,081 times
"So much for the rumor that no one wants antiques anymore or that the prices are way down."

I was in the business in the 70's....I can, and do buy furniture today, cheaper that I could in the 70's. As with everything, there are exceptions.

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques