Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 07:59 PM

44,678 posts, read 61,802,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Flea Markets? Wow is the economy bad enough to make people sell Fleas in Markets now?
Hey Mike I hear ya. I go to 'yard sales' and 'garage sales' frequently, but yet have been able to buy a garage or a yard. Some people are just attached to their possessions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 09:53 AM

11,411 posts, read 24,510,645 times
Seems I've purchased nearly than half of everything I own at a yard or estate sale. Maybe a slight exaggeration...

They're great places for buying tools, kitchen items, and collectibles.

Maybe this would be a good year to have one.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:50 AM

8,086 posts, read 10,681,965 times
I'd like to know where these real Flea Markets you see in the magazines and on T.V. are.

When we lived in the South, there were "Flea Markets" all over the place, unfortunately they were NOT the cool kind you see on HGTV, where they find neat old junk items, unique furniture to restore, antiques, and collectables at a bargain. Instead, there were vendors selling all kinds of Made in China "New" junk - cheesy Angel figurines and knick-knacks, cheapo, crappy tools, bootleg DVD's, velvet paintings, decorative "plates", and packs of irregular socks. No thanks.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:22 PM

11,411 posts, read 24,510,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I'd like to know where these real Flea Markets you see in the magazines and on T.V. are.
I think they're in Massachusetts or something.

The ones in Paris are amazing. The big one everyone talks about is interesting but WAY WAY expensive. There are small ones that spring up on the weekends that have the most fabulous junk. Everyday French junk is much more beautiful than everyday American junk. Really.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:24 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,484,775 times
I love to shop like that however over time between what I have purchased myself and the antiques I have inherited, my house is full.

I had my own garage sale to get rid of some stuff and have been taking some of the overflow to Goodwill.

I would MUCH more prefer to have something old then something new, I love antiques.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:04 AM

859 posts, read 2,152,235 times
Yup I do ....... I like Antique's and never know what ya find at the flea markets

Old 03-29-2018, 07:20 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,246,905 times
I go to the Golden Nugget Flea Market in Lambertville NJ almost every weekend from April to November since the 1970s
In the summer months I go on Weds. mornings too.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:44 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,267,114 times
I love 2nd-hand shops and flea markets. And some antique stores. Have found most of my artistic treasures there.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:13 PM

26,665 posts, read 28,797,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I think they're in Massachusetts or something.

The ones in Paris are amazing. The big one everyone talks about is interesting but WAY WAY expensive. There are small ones that spring up on the weekends that have the most fabulous junk. Everyday French junk is much more beautiful than everyday American junk. Really.

They're not as good or as big as they used to be though in Massachusetts. There is Todd's Farm. You have to get there really early with a flashlight to get the deals. There's the Brimfield Flea Markets which used to be really huge--field after field after field of antiques and collectibles. They weren't cheap but there wasn't anything you couldn't get there. There used to be a big flea market on the Cape where the Welfleet Drive In used to be.

Mostly today, antiques are out of style so the flea markets have really downsized. Best deals are probably at estate sales in somebody's house. Depending on where you live, you can buy beautiful antiques on Craigs List too.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:39 AM

834 posts, read 532,660 times
Wow, a 10 year thread bump. New record?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques