Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 07:25 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,396,576 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind the Republican slant of El Paso county and how many of our citizens think this is either an all out hoax or is certainly less of an issue than the media it making it out to be.

Despite the severity of this virus, there is still a underlying political divide in this nation that will directly impact local governments reactions and citizen's perceptions of what should and needs to be done about it. Left to their own devices, a percentage will choose to ignore everything around this crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 07:41 AM

7,193 posts, read 9,332,580 times
Default How will this end?

The people who are most disciplined to maintain a quarantine are old people like me. I'm 70.

As a result, if I contract this disease, I'm toast. My strategy is to hide inside for as long as possible.

I have no confidence that the general public can or will maintain a quarantine. They need income. Most of them cannot work from home. After a few weeks, they'll come out. No amount of policing can prevent that.

Perhaps they'll re-hide after a few of their friends and relatives become infected and die. But it won't last.

My hope is that the biotech geniuses will soon find an anti-viral remedy.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:43 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,862,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
The people who are most disciplined to maintain a quarantine are old people like me. I'm 70.

As a result, if I contract this disease, I'm toast. My strategy is to hide inside for as long as possible.

I have no confidence that the general public can or will maintain a quarantine. They need income. Most of them cannot work from home. After a few weeks, they'll come out. No amount of policing can prevent that.

Perhaps they'll re-hide after a few of their friends and relatives become infected and die. But it won't last.

My hope is that the biotech geniuses will soon find an anti-viral remedy.

ditto ...

Old 03-29-2020, 12:51 PM

26,226 posts, read 49,079,778 times
The Johns Hopkins website tracks this quite well, to include known cases of recovery.

Drill down by clicking on U.S. in the left column and up pops columns on the right with death counts by county. El Paso County shows ten deaths so far, seven for Weld County, five each for Denver and Jefferson Counties, three in Larimer County, two each in Pitkin and Eagle Counties, one death each in Boulder, Chaffee, Crowley, Gunnison, Pueblo, Teller Counties, and one additional death with no county of record.

Lower left corner of the website shows the time of latest update. Note also that death column is organized first by number of deaths then alpha by state name then alpha by county name.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-29-2020 at 01:05 PM..

Old 03-30-2020, 12:45 PM

7,193 posts, read 9,332,580 times
https://www.elpasocountyhealth.org/n...tive-for-covid

Employee at Colorado Springs King Soopers location tests positive for COVID-19
Mon, 03/30/2020 - 10:48
El Paso County, CO – An employee at a Colorado Springs King Soopers location has tested positive for COVID-19.

The employee, who worked at the King Soopers at Academy and Woodmen (6930 N. Academy), last worked at the store on March 28. Out of an abundance of caution, Public Health is alerting anyone who may have been at this King Soopers location on the following dates:

March 19
March 21-25
March 28
“Based on our assessment of the situation, and the fact that this individual worked several days while experiencing symptoms, we felt it was important to make people aware,” said Dr. Robin Johnson, El Paso County Public Health Medical Director. “While there is no need to panic, we encourage people to monitor for symptoms, and to follow the steps outlined below should they begin to feel ill.”

Public Health learned of the situation late Sunday evening, and began working with the store immediately to discuss sanitation and cleaning procedures. King Soopers has been diligently following all disinfecting guidelines from local, state and federal public health agencies, and has been regularly disinfecting and cleaning.

Old 03-30-2020, 02:31 PM

20,406 posts, read 14,689,603 times

That is the store that my fiance and I go to often. I was there myself on 3/22 and 3/27. I did my best to avoid contact with others, but there is no telling what a sick employee might have touched. Fingers crossed and hope for the best here, I guess.

I wish they were able to tell us what department they worked in. Stocking, bakery, cashier...it could make a difference in terms of considering the likelihood of exposure. I bought my son's birthday cake there on 3/27. It would be a hell of a thing to have brought home this virus with it.

The times we live in, I swear...

Old 03-30-2020, 02:56 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,944,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
https://www.elpasocountyhealth.org/n...tive-for-covid

Employee at Colorado Springs King Soopers location tests positive for COVID-19
Mon, 03/30/2020 - 10:48
El Paso County, CO – An employee at a Colorado Springs King Soopers location has tested positive for COVID-19.

The employee, who worked at the King Soopers at Academy and Woodmen (6930 N. Academy), last worked at the store on March 28. Out of an abundance of caution, Public Health is alerting anyone who may have been at this King Soopers location on the following dates:

March 19
March 21-25
March 28
“Based on our assessment of the situation, and the fact that this individual worked several days while experiencing symptoms, we felt it was important to make people aware,” said Dr. Robin Johnson, El Paso County Public Health Medical Director. “While there is no need to panic, we encourage people to monitor for symptoms, and to follow the steps outlined below should they begin to feel ill.”

Public Health learned of the situation late Sunday evening, and began working with the store immediately to discuss sanitation and cleaning procedures. King Soopers has been diligently following all disinfecting guidelines from local, state and federal public health agencies, and has been regularly disinfecting and cleaning.
Crap...

Old 03-30-2020, 06:26 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,862,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I went to Walmart today for a grocery run (haven't been in over a week), and I was shocked at how many people were there, and 95% or more didn't have a mask on. I had an N95 on and gloves. I get that N95s are hard to find (I bought mine last year), but if I didn't have one, I would be wearing a surgical mask or even a scarf over my face. I saw people chatting with each other, getting within six feet of each other and just generally behaving as though everything is normal. They looked at me like I was crazy.

What is wrong with people? Don't they know that we are seeing 25-35% increases in new cases daily, and that we very possibly will have 20,000 cases in Colorado within two weeks?

People aren't taking this seriously enough. I really think a lot of people just don't understand the nature of exponential growth.
Best to order online and just do the pick-up option. You don't need to go anywhere near anyone but the person bringing out your order. Not my favorite place to shop, but I used this service and it all went smoothly. They substituted two items I bought, but let me refuse one because I didn't want what they chose.

Oh ... as to what is wrong with people. My guess is stupidity, or perhaps they think they're invincible. Those are my two guesses.

It's interesting to go back to older threads re the virus in it's earlier stages, and see posts stating "what .. me worry", "it's all media hype", "it's no worse than the flu" ... etc.

Old 03-30-2020, 06:33 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,405,330 times
Kings wont even say if it is a male or female ---you could relax if you knew.
I'm actually surprised ---there is not one person out their sneezing or coughing or rubbing their nose!
I've been to many stores.

Old 03-30-2020, 07:29 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,530,226 times
Ordering online etc. is not so easy anymore - I did so but I have to wait a week to get my order and who knows if I'll actually get what I need - the past 2 orders I didn't. At some point I may have to go in person to try to get what I need and can't wait that long. Pick-up may be lower risk, but that still doesn't control all the handling of items etc. before it gets to you. It does keep bodies out of the store and so is better, maybe. If you do go to the store, I'd advise you to have a clear list of what you're going for and don't dilly-dally around.

I think we need to be really careful to avoid getting into the blaming game - that's a long and nasty road. In a few cases it may be a really clear case, but in most cases we're better off trying to educate people and make it easier for them to stay home, etc. Not everyone can do so. If we all stayed home, our lights would go out, our water would quit running, we'd run out of food, and we'd all just sit in our homes and die of one thing or another eventually. We rely on people who are out there doing things. People are going to get exposed and there is no way to avoid it entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs