Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 08:39 PM

2,474 posts, read 2,693,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Price increases are usually determined by the HOA board, I think, which can be great or not-so-great. And there is often not a good set of checks and balances over whether you're getting your money's worth - depends on the fidelity of your particular board, which can change.
Price increases are the result of cost increases. They are not “determined”, they are reality. If costs to provide services for the community go up, so will your fees.
If you want more clarity, attend HOA meetings or join the board.

Old 04-28-2022, 10:46 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Dues increases in our HOA in COLO SPGS were capped at a very low percentage and could not exceed the CPI for the year. If the CPI was zero we were still able to increases dues by a small percentage but in practice we went with the CPI, sometimes even less than that.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:28 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,857,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The elevation and climate of COLO SPGS means a short growing season but some people succeed at vegetable gardening in the area. There is a thread on the topic, find it quickly with the search tool.

Most HOAs frown on such uses of a property, they consider vegetable gardens messy and unsightly.

"they consider vegetable gardens messy and unsightly" ... that's very funny (and absurd). Yes, let's all waste precious water on more important things, like Kentucky bluegrass lawns in the high desert. Who needs fresh food? That someone could dictate that I'm not allowed to grow vegetables on my own property ... that's - well, I won't say what that is.

I'm so thankful I've never had to live in an HOA, (and never will). Seems like most of them are run by power-hungry nit-picky people.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Tree roots from an association tree in common area way too close got into sewer pipe on a rental that caused an overflow. Had to replace flooded carpet/pad downstairs and section of sewer pipe...luckily furniture not damaged...Had to temporarily move though. The HOA and Property Management company delayed reimbursement for half a year, then denied it due to fake reasons even though my plumber had picture showing roots in pipe. One of the bullying board members on phone had the gall to say my plumber staged the photo!? Will vote all out with new blood as soon as possible! Had to sue in small claims court...they lied in court by intentionally omitting part of the by-law that supported me. Judge called them out on the lie and I won the judgment. Next step now will be to remove tree way too close to sewer pipe..hopefully replace with smaller more pipe friendly tree.. Watch out for HOA's...especially if you need a reimbursement...can be a major hassle!!

That's unbelievable. Good for you for persevering. Maybe they'll think twice the next time they feel like harassing a property owner without just cause.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I don't want anything unusual and I don't want an HOA. I have friends with horror stories about their HOA. Like one lady found she was not allowed to have one potted plant on her porch. Really? Or, HOA price increases out of control without seeing any commensurate benefit in service, etc. Yes, where I live it is sometimes annoying dealing with the few people who have too many vehicles, etc., but I honestly don't care what color they paint their house, etc., and most stuff that would actually affect my property value is something that is covered in code enforcement anyway. I am sure some people like HOAs, just not me.
Ditto.

Old 04-28-2022, 10:27 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,662,941 times
Default Trust no one when buying in an HOA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Price increases are the result of cost increases. They are not “determined”, they are reality. If costs to provide services for the community go up, so will your fees.
If you want more clarity, attend HOA meetings or join the board.
In our HOA/BOD experience, the cost increases were caused by poorly bid services, especially for Mgt. Often the BOD members would rubber stamp such things as Mgt. Co. family members to overcharge for their work in exchange for free work on members units, among other things. It is a joke to find new ways to charge the homeowners since the HOA is to benefit them and the lawyers - it is always fun to spend someone else's money according to them.

One thing many people don't understand, and your realtor will not tell you before you buy, is that you assume liability for everyone else in the HOA. If some sues for injuries, for example, which are not covered by insurance all the HOA owners are collectively responsible and cannot sell until the legal issues are settled.

We lived in one only until we could get into a better position and will never do it again. Financial advisors are against them because of increasing fees and special assessments which cause many seniors to leave if they are not able to meet new forced financial obligations. Also, HOAs can take your unit faster than the bank if you can't pay fees, leaving remaining owners to pick up the charges.

Be sure to have someone who specializes in HOA finances review all the docs to determine their health, your realtor will deny, deny, and then deny again any idea that the HOA can't pay their bills (wink, wink, wink) Walk around the complex at night and during the day to talk to neighbors. Read all the CCRs prior to signing any purchase agreement. Please read other threads on HOA problems also. There may be some who totally disagree with our experience, which is fine, this has been ours.

Old 04-29-2022, 07:27 AM

2,474 posts, read 2,693,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
In our HOA/BOD experience, the cost increases were caused by poorly bid services, especially for Mgt. Often the BOD members would rubber stamp such things as Mgt. Co. family members to overcharge for their work in exchange for free work on members units, among other things. It is a joke to find new ways to charge the homeowners since the HOA is to benefit them and the lawyers - it is always fun to spend someone else's money according to them.

One thing many people don't understand, and your realtor will not tell you before you buy, is that you assume liability for everyone else in the HOA. If some sues for injuries, for example, which are not covered by insurance all the HOA owners are collectively responsible and cannot sell until the legal issues are settled.

We lived in one only until we could get into a better position and will never do it again. Financial advisors are against them because of increasing fees and special assessments which cause many seniors to leave if they are not able to meet new forced financial obligations. Also, HOAs can take your unit faster than the bank if you can't pay fees, leaving remaining owners to pick up the charges.

Be sure to have someone who specializes in HOA finances review all the docs to determine their health, your realtor will deny, deny, and then deny again any idea that the HOA can't pay their bills (wink, wink, wink) Walk around the complex at night and during the day to talk to neighbors. Read all the CCRs prior to signing any purchase agreement. Please read other threads on HOA problems also. There may be some who totally disagree with our experience, which is fine, this has been ours.
I am sorry your experience was so bad. Ours have been the opposite.
Let me address a couple issues. The homeowner can obtain insurance which picks up from where the HOA policy leaves off covering any liability issues. It’s important to understand the HOAs policy and this is your responsibility when doing due diligence. The policy must be public and your agent should be able to advise you so you can cover any gap.

Regarding assessments. Do not move into a community without understanding if they have had a reserve study. Again, this must be public. If they are under reserving, big red flag. You can also obtain insurance with assessment coverage if you desire.

In regard to cronyism, I have never seen it in an HOA. Can it happen, maybe, but as an owner you should attend meetings and ask questions. The HOA is YOU, keep that in mind.

Last point, there are various types of HOAs. Some cover just common property like sidewalks, lawn areas, etc and some cover buildings. Huge difference between these two. So saying an HOA is bad, one must ask what is the HOA governing. In our current community, it covers just common land, architectural review of new construction and parking.

Last edited by COcheesehead; 04-29-2022 at 07:39 AM..

Old 04-29-2022, 09:24 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
"they consider vegetable gardens messy and unsightly" ... that's very funny (and absurd). Yes, let's all waste precious water on more important things, like Kentucky bluegrass lawns in the high desert. Who needs fresh food? That someone could dictate that I'm not allowed to grow vegetables on my own property ... that's - well, I won't say what that is.

I'm so thankful I've never had to live in an HOA, (and never will). Seems like most of them are run by power-hungry nit-picky people.
My HOA in Colorado was doing fine until a new president took over. That's the problem that can arise.

Old 04-29-2022, 11:09 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,398,086 times
The only issue we have living in a non-HOA hood is neighbors with too many cars parked in the street. Most of them are rarely driven so that is aggravating.

Old 04-29-2022, 03:48 PM

3,605 posts, read 1,655,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
That's unbelievable. Good for you for persevering. Maybe they'll think twice the next time they feel like harassing a property owner without just cause.
Thanks...they just notified me today...are finally mailing me the judgment (after the 30 day waiting period of course). Unfortunately, they have a reputation of harassing and bullying homeowners...lots of one star yelp reviews. I'd like to get all new blood in this HOA once it is time to vote to get rid of the bad apples in there that are against the homeowners. On reimbursements they delay, deny, then lie in court (judge caught them in their lie fast). Maybe all HOA's do this? Sad if that is the case!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs