Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 08:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,862 times

Advertisements

We live in La Veta seasonally as newish owners of a tourism-dependent business here.
Many of our visitors are from TX, KS, and OK (my native state), definitely escaping the summer heat. But we also have a lot of in-state residents come through, too. Many CO residents who visit us say they love La Veta because it retains the small-town charm a lot of the resort towns have lost as the population of Colorado has exploded. Traffic on 12 is busy sometimes, and parking in Cuchara can be hard to find on busy summer weekends, but still nothing like other parts of the state. Overall it's incredibly low-key for as scenic as the Cuchara Vally and Spanish Peaks are.
Only speaking from what I see, our visitors are mainly into fishing, hiking, scenic driving, or simply relaxing, and not so much hustle & bustle. I like it this way. There's plenty of hustle and bustle in easy driving distance (if we want it).
We're not involved in Town politics or gossip, and intend to keep it that way. ��
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 09:52 AM

958 posts, read 1,146,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RN-2010 View Post
We live in La Veta seasonally as newish owners of a tourism-dependent business here.
Many of our visitors are from TX, KS, and OK (my native state), definitely escaping the summer heat. But we also have a lot of in-state residents come through, too. Many CO residents who visit us say they love La Veta because it retains the small-town charm a lot of the resort towns have lost as the population of Colorado has exploded. Traffic on 12 is busy sometimes, and parking in Cuchara can be hard to find on busy summer weekends, but still nothing like other parts of the state. Overall it's incredibly low-key for as scenic as the Cuchara Vally and Spanish Peaks are.
Only speaking from what I see, our visitors are mainly into fishing, hiking, scenic driving, or simply relaxing, and not so much hustle & bustle. I like it this way. There's plenty of hustle and bustle in easy driving distance (if we want it).
We're not involved in Town politics or gossip, and intend to keep it that way. ��
Great post! I love la veta, glad to see people putting some money and energy into the town, good luck with your business. One of the most beautiful areas i have seen anywhere.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Great post! I love la veta, glad to see people putting some money and energy into the town, good luck with your business. One of the most beautiful areas i have seen anywhere.
Thank you!

Old 08-07-2017, 10:06 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,295,433 times
Spanish Peaks Country – La Veta Oktoberfest – Oct 7, 2017

looks crowded sort of.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:55 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,768 times
Ill be there at the end of the wek.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:31 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,379,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Ill be there at the end of the wek.
Realtor in La Veta stopped responding to my messages, which ended up being a good thing, because we found a better property in Westcliffe, which we really like better.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:39 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,768 times
Was just there last week. Look at a few places. I think I'll buy on the Santa Fe Trail Subdivision and just drive to Cuchara as much as I like. I was disappointed in that there is a new building near The Dog Bar that ruins that street. It is a large metal building and no one seems to know what it is going to be. They say a restaurant but I wouldn't be surprised is some pot shop shows up. The neighbor business people all say they don't know what it is, which is why I worry that the cute little town will be a pot center. I hope I am wrong. What ever it is, that building looks pretty bad in that little town street.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:43 AM

74 posts, read 255,812 times
Are there any more recent updates on the area for 2020? With the major ski areas closed (and recent talks about one of the lifts re-opening), I'm wondering if Cuchara has been seeing more population. In talking with some locals we learned that nearby Walsenburg is one of the poorest in the state and we were wondering if crime has been spilling over into the community.

Old 07-06-2020, 12:59 PM

8,492 posts, read 8,777,706 times
Official counts and on the ground reality may vary. Are they second homers or residents? What people say, if they say, might be different than what the Census would say.

LaVeta gained a couple dozen since 2010 to almost 800 but still a 100 or so less than peak.

Cuchara fell from 150 officially in 2000 to 140 in 2010. I dunno what it is now.

County has fallen from 8,000 20 years ago to 6,500 now.

Old 07-26-2023, 01:17 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,295,433 times
Default Gardner

I am looking forward to living in downtown Gardner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado