Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 02:21 PM

2,850 posts, read 2,166,211 times

Advertisements

I'm glad I asked you guys. I definitely have to reconsidering going that deep into the mountains in October since I'm planning on driving my Honda Odyssey.

Does going to Buena Vista involve less mountain driving in snow than Estes Park assuming you're starting in COS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 02:34 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
It's Labor Day Weekend. There are people starting to head to the mountains as we speak. Later this afternoon and tomorrow morning I won't be surprised if it spikes to 6 hours, and Sunday and Monday afternoon it will spike going the other way. The westbound bottleneck is roughly Genesee to Frisco. Eastbound is Silverthorne to Idaho Springs.

If you want to stay closer to the Front Range then also check out Buena Vista or Salida. Outside of prime tourist season Estes is good. Between Memorial Day and Labor Day it sucks big time. I refuse to go up there during the summer because it's overrun with tourons, and I don't find it enjoyable at all.
Need to amend this a bit. There was a wreck on westbound I-70 that had the road closed at the tunnel for hours. A trucker lost his brakes going down into Silverthorne and hit three cars.

Old 09-04-2020, 02:46 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I'm glad I asked you guys. I definitely have to reconsidering going that deep into the mountains in October since I'm planning on driving my Honda Odyssey.

Does going to Buena Vista involve less mountain driving in snow than Estes Park assuming you're starting in COS?
There are no high mountain passes getting to either one. IMO, between the two I think Estes is a better choice for kids. Plenty of easy hiking nearby. You'll be there during the elk bugling time, so bring binoculars if you have any. Estes has kid activities in town, although I couldn't say whether or not COIVD has shut down those venuse?

Last edited by hikernut; 09-04-2020 at 03:20 PM..

Old 09-04-2020, 03:38 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,693,917 times
Aspen in the summer or early Fall is heaven and not just for the wealthy.
With that being said, if the aspens are in color, the town gets packed

Instead of Gunnison, I would head north just a bit to Crested Butte. Great town.

Breck to me is too touristy.

Old 09-04-2020, 03:46 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,512,019 times
Quote:

Buena Vista is usually an easy drive from Colorado Springs.

Old 09-04-2020, 04:03 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,125,268 times
Quote:

Snow in late Sept / Oct, is possible but not probable. You're more likely to hit 50s-60s. If you have some flexibility to get back a day early or a day late, they usually have the roads cleared up pretty well 1 day after a storm this time of year. Highway 24 is less steep than I 70, but I'd much rather drive I 70 the day after a storm than 24 during a storm.

Buena Vista is cool and scenic, but it's steep. The mountains are straight moderate slopes upward, so not many easy hikes, though there are hot springs nearby which could be the jam for kids. Do the pricey hot springs not the cheap ones though! Other than that though it's not as kid friendly as anything off I 70.

Stay away from Gunnison / Crested Butte this year as it's stupid busy with hunters / ATVers and the leaves kinda suck anyways because of the drought.

I'd pick Beaver Creek: It's warmer and lower than other ski areas, it's a swank base at a cheap time, it's close to Vail or Glenwood for additional activities, there's not much hunting there vs other places given the time, and for a week it's worth the little further drive away from Denver.

Here's my review of the I 70 towns:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/colo...ll-than-2.html

Last edited by Phil P; 09-04-2020 at 04:27 PM..

Old 09-04-2020, 06:34 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,693,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Snow in late Sept / Oct, is possible but not probable. You're more likely to hit 50s-60s. If you have some flexibility to get back a day early or a day late, they usually have the roads cleared up pretty well 1 day after a storm this time of year. Highway 24 is less steep than I 70, but I'd much rather drive I 70 the day after a storm than 24 during a storm.

Buena Vista is cool and scenic, but it's steep. The mountains are straight moderate slopes upward, so not many easy hikes, though there are hot springs nearby which could be the jam for kids. Do the pricey hot springs not the cheap ones though! Other than that though it's not as kid friendly as anything off I 70.

Stay away from Gunnison / Crested Butte this year as it's stupid busy with hunters / ATVers and the leaves kinda suck anyways because of the drought.

I'd pick Beaver Creek: It's warmer and lower than other ski areas, it's a swank base at a cheap time, it's close to Vail or Glenwood for additional activities, there's not much hunting there vs other places given the time, and for a week it's worth the little further drive away from Denver.

Here's my review of the I 70 towns:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/colo...ll-than-2.html
Just had friends return from Crested Butte and they said it was not crowded except for the usual Saturday night crowd in town.

Old 09-04-2020, 08:29 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,938 times
Beaver Creek is nice but late September/October it will be a ghost town, I worked up there last Monday and it's already pretty empty. You might score a good deal at the Park Hyatt but don't count on much being open and dining will be limited. Vail would be a better choice with more options for food and entertainment. The gondola will be running weekends only through the end of September.

Vail or Breck would give you the most choices of things to do if you just wanted to walk out your door and not drive for the day but you could still get in the car and do other fun things.

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about snow, it melts off very quickly at that time of the year and if you're driving you have the flexibility to hang out for the night and do something fun in Denver.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:26 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,125,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Just had friends return from Crested Butte and they said it was not crowded except for the usual Saturday night crowd in town.
Maybe the town is quieter, but everyone I've talked to with RVs in the area said is was a zoo in campgrounds. There's no VRBOs or AirBnbs available there now while I 70 still has many options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Beaver Creek is nice but late September/October it will be a ghost town, I worked up there last Monday and it's already pretty empty. You might score a good deal at the Park Hyatt but don't count on much being open and dining will be limited. Vail would be a better choice with more options for food and entertainment. The gondola will be running weekends only through the end of September.

Vail or Breck would give you the most choices of things to do if you just wanted to walk out your door and not drive for the day but you could still get in the car and do other fun things.

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about snow, it melts off very quickly at that time of the year and if you're driving you have the flexibility to hang out for the night and do something fun in Denver.
Depends, everything kinda shuts down then, but it's like a 5 minute drive to Avon / Eagle, and that'll have more open than Buena Vista would.

Old 09-05-2020, 06:23 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,938 times
Depends, everything kinda shuts down then, but it's like a 5 minute drive to Avon / Eagle, and that'll have more open than Buena Vista would.[/quote]

I'm aware of what shuts down since I have lived here for decades. Staying in Beaver Creek in the off season means always driving to get something while Vail or Breck give you the ability to walk out of your lodging and grab some food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado