Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 08:58 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,167,272 times

Advertisements

I am planning a trip with family to spend a week in one of these towns in late September or early October. How do they compare in terms of the following:

proximity to easy hiking (for 5 year old)
scenery (I like mountain streams and lakes)
reliable high speed internet (probably not an issue in any but just thought I'd ask)
weather - I realize it can get cold but I'd prefer not too cold, not too windy and no snow.
other kid friendly activities
covid condition

If there are much better places than these let me know. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 09:41 AM

317 posts, read 474,301 times
That's an interesting choice of places. Can I ask why you're deciding between those three?

Cold weather and snow will be possible at all of those locations for that time of year. Gunnison will likely be the warmest and driest of those three town for that time of year, though (but certainly not mid-winter when it's more likely to be the coldest). Gunnison is not a mountain town like Aspen or Break, though. You've got Crested Butte just up the highway and so true mountain access is certainly not bad, but not as close as the others. It does have the Gunnison river flowing near town, so that might appeal to you, though flow will be at its most minimal due to the end of the season.

Internet access shouldn't be a problem in any of those locations, just depends on the specific rental/hotel you stay at.

Kid activities will be more plentiful in the resort towns, though Gunnison does have some nice parks for kids to play at. Resort towns cater to tourists more, so you're likely to find kid-specific activities there.

COVID precautions should be more-or-less the same in each of those towns.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
That's an interesting choice of places. Can I ask why you're deciding between those three?

Cold weather and snow will be possible at all of those locations for that time of year. Gunnison will likely be the warmest and driest of those three town for that time of year, though (but certainly not mid-winter when it's more likely to be the coldest). Gunnison is not a mountain town like Aspen or Break, though. You've got Crested Butte just up the highway and so true mountain access is certainly not bad, but not as close as the others. It does have the Gunnison river flowing near town, so that might appeal to you, though flow will be at its most minimal due to the end of the season.

Internet access shouldn't be a problem in any of those locations, just depends on the specific rental/hotel you stay at.

Kid activities will be more plentiful in the resort towns, though Gunnison does have some nice parks for kids to play at. Resort towns cater to tourists more, so you're likely to find kid-specific activities there.

COVID precautions should be more-or-less the same in each of those towns.
No particular reason why I picked the three. They're just the names of mountain towns I know. I also want to stay on the eastern side of the mountains since I'll be coming from that direction.
I've been to Breck before so I know it would work, and I thought Gunnison is a mountain town. Thanks for letting me know that's not the case.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:21 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,970,189 times
Gunnison is definitely a mountain town, but it's not adjacent to large mountains like Aspen and Breckenridge are. As in, in Gunnison you can't really walk out your door to the top of a mountain. It's situated in a wide valley.

That said, it makes a good basecamp if you want to do day trips from there. You have Crested Butte and the Elk Mountains to the north, Lake City and the San Juan Mountains to the south, and the Black Canyon national park to the west.

Breckenridge is the highest in elevation of the three and probably the windiest. Due to its elevation, it would be the most likely to get snow if a cold front passed over, and would likely be the coldest overall.

Leaves will probably be past peak at that time this year, and may be mostly gone, but leaf-peeping activities will actually be best out of Gunnison (up toward Crested Butte), followed by Aspen, and not so much in Breck (compared to Gunny and Aspen, at least).

Access from the east is pretty easy with all 3, but if you were coming from DIA, Gunnison is the farthest.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:28 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
For a one week 'mtn vacation', with mixed ages, I would consider Glenwood Springs or Vail. If you want 'views' from your condo (shelter in place), Vail and Breckenridge would be closer to the east side.

Winter Park would be close to east side as well, more limited activities, not as 'tourist centric' as Vail / Aspen.

For true East Side (quick access), Estes Park (plenty to do for a 5 yo, )

Old 09-04-2020, 12:09 PM

Does it always take 4 1/2 hours to get to Aspen from Denver or is it because of road closures due to fire/other things?

Old 09-04-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
For a one week 'mtn vacation', with mixed ages, I would consider Glenwood Springs or Vail. If you want 'views' from your condo (shelter in place), Vail and Breckenridge would be closer to the east side.

Winter Park would be close to east side as well, more limited activities, not as 'tourist centric' as Vail / Aspen.

For true East Side (quick access), Estes Park (plenty to do for a 5 yo, )
I've been to Glenwood Springs and liked the town and the hot springs, but didn't spend a lot of time there.
Are there easy trails within 15 minutes from the town?

Old 09-04-2020, 12:23 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Does it always take 4 1/2 hours to get to Aspen from Denver or is it because of road closures due to fire/other things?
It's Labor Day Weekend. There are people starting to head to the mountains as we speak. Later this afternoon and tomorrow morning I won't be surprised if it spikes to 6 hours, and Sunday and Monday afternoon it will spike going the other way. The westbound bottleneck is roughly Genesee to Frisco. Eastbound is Silverthorne to Idaho Springs.

If you want to stay closer to the Front Range then also check out Buena Vista or Salida. Outside of prime tourist season Estes is good. Between Memorial Day and Labor Day it sucks big time. I refuse to go up there during the summer because it's overrun with tourons, and I don't find it enjoyable at all.

Old 09-04-2020, 12:39 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
Planning a trip to the mountains in late September or early October and not wanting snow is an impossibility. It is supposed to snow here next Tuesday! Yes, that is early, but the point is that you can get snow anywhere in the mountains in September or October. Or it can be 60 degrees.

Also note that you are looking at the very off season time here. A lot of things will be closed because summer is over and the winter activities haven't begun. Plus, there are a lot of things closed for COVID, so you really will have to look into what is open as far as things to do.

Depending on where you are leaving from in Denver, it normally takes around 3-1/2 to 4 hours to get to Aspen. In good weather, with no closures on I-70.

Old 09-04-2020, 12:44 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
IMO Breckenridge and/or Vail offer the most chances to enjoy the area. Can jump on I-70 and get to other areas along the highway for fun stuff, like the Georgetown Loop tourist train over in Georgetown, COLO or go to the hot springs at Glenwood Springs, etc.

IMO Gunnison and Aspen are too far off the beaten path. Aspen is home to many of the ultra wealthy and as a poor boy from Baltimore that just isn't my crowd and I'd never go there.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado