Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 07:14 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
For anybody interested, here's a site that will let you do the redistricting. As of right now, it doesn't yet show us with 8 districts, but if you leave areas 'unassigned', you can create your own eight.

https://davesredistricting.org/maps#...8-108feda65390
Thanks for sharing! I can spend hours messing around with this kind of thing.

Here's a map of what I was trying to describe in my earlier post. It results in three solid red districts, three solid blue, and the South Metro and West Metro districts are really the only two that are competitive.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/...3-69c9a3d80366
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 07:28 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post

Here's a map of what I was trying to describe in my earlier post. It results in three solid red districts, three solid blue, and the South Metro and West Metro districts are really the only two that are competitive.

I don't care for that map, myself. My rep right now is Jason Crow, and the new map puts us in District 8 which is dominated by Douglas County. We'd end up being represented by "Grandstanding George" Brauchler, a Trumper clown like Patrick Neville, or Parker mayor (and conspiracy theory nutjob) Jeff Toborg. DougCo GOP is cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 05-04-2021 at 07:51 AM..

Old 05-04-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I don't care for that map, myself. My rep right now is Jason Crow, and the new map puts us in District 8 which is dominated by Douglas County. We'd end up being represented by "Grandstanding George" Brauchler, a Trumper clown like Patrick Neville, or Parker mayor (and conspiracy theory nutjob) Jeff Toborg. The DougCo GOP is cuckoo for cocoa puffs.
I knocked on doors for Jason Crow, so I get the hesitation, but it's a decently competitive district, especially considering how much the South Metro has shifted blue in the Trumplican era.

That said, here's another option. To keep all of Aurora together, you'd have to shift the three suburban districts' boundaries clockwise. Here's one using SH 83, US 285, and I-25 as the boundaries. It makes the (almost inevitable) new South Metro district decidedly more red.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/...d-80d904c34b02

Old 05-04-2021, 05:16 PM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post

You're welcome! But tell me--how are you getting eight districts? When I pull mine up, I still get only seven?

Old 05-04-2021, 08:04 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
It’s not just Pueblo. BarbieBoebert does not represent all of us in the Western Slope, either (maybe not even most). I do not feel she would seriously listen to any of us if we disagree with any of her statements. And that is probably exactly what she wants: to make any dissenters shut up and go away. But silence does NOT equal agreement with her. Not one iota.
Its hard when you live in a congressional district with a solid majority of people that you just don't agree with. I try to imagine a constituency that would elect Boebert to Congress. Its probably full of people who think that "the election was stolen", "that lib-ur-als are really communists", that "global warming is fake", and finally "that coronavirus is no worse than the flu".

Its hard to reason with these types. I live in that kind of a congressional district and its probably the thing I like the least about living where I do.

Hopefully, CO will allocate the seat in a way that the lunatic fringe doesn't get to pick a representative.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:50 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Its hard when you live in a congressional district with a solid majority of people that you just don't agree with. I try to imagine a constituency that would elect Boebert to Congress. Its probably full of people who think that "the election was stolen", "that lib-ur-als are really communists", that "global warming is fake", and finally "that coronavirus is no worse than the flu".

Its hard to reason with these types. I live in that kind of a congressional district and its probably the thing I like the least about living where I do.

Hopefully, CO will allocate the seat in a way that the lunatic fringe doesn't get to pick a representative.
Based on your post I probably wouldn’t want you as my neighbor either. Just saying. Keep that in mind as you label and judge your fellow humans.

Old 05-04-2021, 11:14 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,969,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
You're welcome! But tell me--how are you getting eight districts? When I pull mine up, I still get only seven?
From the main page, if you go to "pick a state" then select Colorado, you can scroll down to the bottom where the maps have 8 districts and edit one as your own.

I made one too. I threw my hat in the ring to be on the redistricting commission to see if I got anywhere. I didn't get selected, but at least I can play with this map! https://davesredistricting.org/join/...7-f420c987e8d2

District 1 strictly follows Denver city/county limits (+) the Arapahoe County exclaves and (-) the airport.

District 2 is pretty self-explanatory, but I also included Erie as it fits in better with Boulder/Larimer counties than its own Weld.

District 3 essentially became the "mountain" district, while district 4 became the "plains" district. Canon City is considered "plains" here, but go west of Skyline Drive and you're in district 3. District 3 also stole a few precincts from Huerfano and Las Animas counties to get more even population-wise, but Walsenburg and Trinidad are left intact as cities in district 4.

District 5 is also self-explanatory and very neatly just El Paso County. I really like Teller County being part of district 5, but the population is too high now for both, so they had to go prop up district 3's population.

Districts 6, 7, and 8 form a relatively clean pinwheel in and around suburban Denver. Notable boundaries include I-25, Smoky Hill Road, and to a lesser extent US-285. The boundary between 7 and 8 near US-285 got a little messy due to population balancing.

Old 09-27-2021, 09:57 AM

I'm a little behind it seems, but they've released the official congressional districts proposal: https://coleg.maps.arcgis.com/apps/V...f44251e590fc00

The deadline for submitting comments is tomorrow: https://redistricting.colorado.gov/public_comments/new

It looks like they went with a new north Denver metro district and put it with Greeley. To me, that doesn't make sense at all. It looks like they're more concerned about maximizing competition at the expense of districts that actually represent coherent constituencies.

Old 09-27-2021, 10:11 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Well the latest map keeps our district left-leaning, and doesn't lump us in with DougCo. I was really rooting for the first map they released. It would've lumped Moffat and Rio Blanco Counties in with Boulder and Larimer (minus Fort Collins). It would almost certainly have been a Democratic district, and it would've been either Dianna DeGette or Joe Neguse. Watching all the heads of the GOBs I know who live in that part of the state explode over being represented by a "damn lib" would have been priceless.

As it stands, Klannie Oakley's re-election chances just got a major boost.

Old 09-27-2021, 12:41 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,195,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanzana92 View Post
I also honestly believe our house of representatives should look like the senate from Star Wars. 1 federal representative for every 100,000 people.
You should move to New Hampshuh, which has 400 reps for a population of 1.3M. Many seats are elected by fewer than 1000 votes and represent an average of 23 square miles.

I don't see that they really get anything from this madness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado