Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 03:53 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,971,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
It looks like they're more concerned about maximizing competition at the expense of districts that actually represent coherent constituencies.
My takeaway as well. They selected people who swore that, yes, they understood the importance of grouping together communities and regions with similar interests, and THIS is what they came up with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
You should move to New Hampshuh, which has 400 reps for a population of 1.3M. Many seats are elected by fewer than 1000 votes and represent an average of 23 square miles.
That's pretty cool IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2021, 05:03 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,201,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanzana92 View Post
That's pretty cool IMO.
Well... as I said, it doesn't really do much for them. (Look up any of many discussions of this model's effects and drawbacks.)

I believe there is an optimal size for all organizations, and too small, while cherished and sought and doted on, can be just as bad (or worse) than the loathed "too big."

I lived in North California in the era when one burb after another was carving itself out as a "city," and in Connecticut, which abolished counties a few decades back in favor of "towns" that cover every square mile. Both had and brought serious problems, mostly in that a too-small governmental entity gets overwhelmed trying to provide a full range of services with too small a population and revenue base. For the most part, both should stick with county-level services and agencies and struggle perpetually because they want to be "agin big gummint."

Much the same at the legislative level. No good knowing your Rep because he's your next door neighbor if he only has a 1/400th vote.

Old 09-30-2021, 02:49 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Living in Pueblo I like the map....

Old 09-30-2021, 06:03 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Living in Pueblo I like the map....
Your new district is more competitive than I thought. QBert getting reelected is not a forgone conclusion - thank god. Salon put out a hit piece on her today. She claims she doesn't follow QAnon, yet a couple from Pueblo, who are hardcore QAnon nutballs, moved to Rifle to work for her campaign and manage her restaurant. The husband is running for a city council seat in Rifle. Then there's her ex-campaign manager Sherronna Bishop. She's another Qcumber wackadoodle who openly supports right-wing militants, and she's likely the one who convinced that idiot Tina Peters to breach her own voting machines.

Old 10-01-2021, 06:05 AM

4,031 posts, read 2,717,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Well the latest map keeps our district left-leaning, and doesn't lump us in with DougCo. I was really rooting for the first map they released. It would've lumped Moffat and Rio Blanco Counties in with Boulder and Larimer (minus Fort Collins). It would almost certainly have been a Democratic district, and it would've been either Dianna DeGette or Joe Neguse. Watching all the heads of the GOBs I know who live in that part of the state explode over being represented by a "damn lib" would have been priceless.

As it stands, Klannie Oakley's re-election chances just got a major boost.

I agree, the latest map is all kinds of jacked up, IMO.

But I'm relieved that I get to keep my congressman. (Crow.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado