Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 04:56 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times

Advertisements

Pueblo Colorado Mexican Food Take 2
I'm not going to compare the food here with New Mexico, Texas, California, Old Mexico, etc. It is what it is. Hope you enjoy or find it useful.

#1) Mi Ranchito’s 24500 E us-50 (Mesa) 719-583-1098

The best. Taste. Service. Carnitas & Green Chile hold their own. Beans & rice are both good.*

* Code for Authentic Pueblo Colorado Mexican Food, or at least that the beans aren't from canned or dehydrated.

I just called Mi Ranchitos and asked them to describe how they cook their Carnitas; Pork is cooked until tender, then it's shredded and recooked on the stove. That's what makes it crispy and good.

#2) Mi Ranchito’s-Rev B 525 S Pueblo Blvd. 564-0690

Just as good as on the Mesa (but my favorite server in town once from there moved over to Olive Garden. Maybe he'll come back to his senses and go back where he belongs). I think they both have Friday Buffets with pretty darn good crab legs if you can believe that!

#3) Mi Pueblito - Mi Ranchito's Cousin 1305 E Routt (by Northern) 546-9484

Mi Ranchito's Cousin. Need I say more? One of those places that looks rough from the outside* but not too shabby on the inside.

*Code for what makes Pueblo Pueblo.

The rest are sort of in random order. I'm gonna try to go with my personal favs down to ones I haven't tried yet but heard good things about.

Arriba's: 4000 Thatcher (4th ave west and Pueblo Blvd)

Better Breakfast Burritos than Burrito Betty's!!!!!!!!!!! Yup! NOT ANYMORE.
Best Green Chile in Pueblo at this time! Not anymore.
Try the Pork & Avocado Burritos, chicken tacos on white (flour-but fried).
OK, but I tried to get Chorizo on tacos and couldn’t because they evidently had them already made up. Bad sign.

Betty's Burritos 2401 N Elizabeth M-Sat 7:00am-2:00pm 542-3639

Get the #10 Breakfast Burrito-good for the go-it's all inside the tortilla
It’s gone back to being my favorite breakfast burrito place.

Adolfo's 604 E 4th ***Now called Vasquez [signage by Signs by Scott] *** 546-2186

When Burrito Betty's is too crowded as always, go here. They're great. I'd like to try other stuff here too real soon. Oh, nice folks and the kind of place you can go in and eat. Not fancy, just good and simple.

Adolfo's 4104 Outlook

Food is as good as above, it's 24/7! I hate the service. The food is worth it though. They hate me, don't know why. So I hate them back. Take out only for me. Hey, this is the only place like it in it's immediate surroundings too, so I'm glad it's there.

Update on service: We had dinner with some people who had a story about Adolfo's on Outlook and 50. This lady went there to order some food and the cashier lady looked back and said some things to the cook. Something like, "This stupid lady doesn't know what the bleep she's talking about." Then she looked at the girl behind the counter and said, "I speak Spanish, you know."

HAH!!!!!!!! YOU SUCK AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

Papa Jose's 320 S Union Here's your great atmosphere. Dude in Colorado Springs loves it. Looked for Mexican Food for 3 years in Colorado Springs and "couldn't find it". "Doesn't feel like a restaurant, it feels like home". I like it ok. Location location location.

Jorge's Sombrero (Horhay's) 1319 E Evans 564-6486

Good Carnitas and stuff - local fav.

Nachos 409 N Santa Fe 542-1656

I better mention this one; one of MrsGowdog’s favs. She says they have the best salsa. Atmosphere. Location. Lively! Probably great for kids. Pretty darn good beans and rice* (remember?) Not bad for a place that doesn't know what real Carnitas are!

Mexi-Deli 215 E Abriendo 583-1275

Almost a fast-food atmosphere with drive thru, but oh so much more. Pretty Darn Good Food and Service Really! Don't expect an On-The-Border type place. You could get a drink here, just not through the drive-thru. Heard the Mochacha chimis are great here, and breakfast burritos.

City Diner 1002 N Santa Fe 545-2152

Hungry? Almost Broke? Get the City Bomber-smothered in Green!

Gray's Coors Tavern 4th and right east of MidWay 544-0455

The Slopper (get green and two patties) (if red, get onions)

Star Bar Also The Slopper. 300 Spring St near Clark and Santa Fe. 542-9718

Pantry Abriendo and between Lamar and Union 543-8072

I call some of these diners Mexican Food because of the Green. Got to try the smothered chicken enchiladas and go there hungry!

Taco Casa 704 W 29th

Drive-thru type little place; not so crazy about it last time I went there.

Taco Star 2021 S Pueblo Blvd

Yes, this fast-food joint made the list. They got some real food in there! Fish Tacos! OMG! Yum!

3 Margaritas Remember where the Germer's was 23 years ago?

I mention this franchise joint because CF, Chilis, Applebee’s, Johnny Carino’s, Olive Garden, etc. can just go away. These folks will treat you like family. This is not code; their beans are just different. I like them. They may or may not know what Carnitas are, but they know what to do with a flank steak. Sometimes, you gotta have cow. Served hot and yum.

Romero's Cafe & Catering 2648 Santa Fe (Mesa)

Many a local fav. It's just too close to # 1 Mi Ranchitos for me, that my vehicle just won't make it there. I call it the Blue Bonnet of Pueblo. "Toot Toot!" No offense to people who love it. Just try the #1 at Mi Ranchitos sometime and tell me you like Romero's better.

Martinez Cafe is another gem. 710 Polk St Pueblo, CO 81004 (719) 543-6115

Recent review:
Quote:
Small, quaint and outstanding-

I was pleasantly surprised with everything at the Martinez Cafe - decor, service and especially the food. Top-notch Mexican food. Authentic red chile and creative menu. Highly recommended
I went there Sunday and it was open for a change! They have weird hours and very limited seating, but it's a very quaint and clean place. Very colorful and friendly.

These two older ladies were working in the kitchen and you just know they're good cooks and it's about as homemade as you can get.

They serve stuff like; American Style and Mexican Style breakfasts, specialties such as Smostada (beef chicken or Chorizo tostada with bean, onion & cheese topped with lettuce, tomato & sour cream), Burritos, Rellaco (a relleno in a taco style tortilla-flour or corn with ...), Polk Street Special (choice of 2 meat combination in a large flour tort with beans, onion, parmesan & cheddar cheese, guacamole & sour cream, smothered with red or green). Ala Carte: taco, enchilada, relleno, pork tamale, burrito, etc. For sides, they have you pick two of the three; rice, beans, or potatoes. The beans are good too. Good because they are homemade and not from dehydrated or from a can.

I got one chorizo taco on white, one chorizo taco on corn, and a chorizo burrito and it did not make me sick. It made me want to slap somebody's grandmother.

Sunset Grill: Great place for a Slopper and a great sports bar at Prairie and Lincoln (Thatcher begins there) 564-9841

Rita’s: Just ate there and it’s a great old place. 3rd and Grand. 542-4820
Great Green Chile. It’s what Arriba’s used to be for me.

Mill Stop 317 Bay State 564-0407

an old CF&I fav. I haven't been there yet. To some, it's just the best. It's what they say.

Oh, there's a place, east on Northern just east and north of the bridge over I-25. It's in a bar. Great food.

Pass Key, Not Mexican food, but a Pueblo Original; Abriendo off I-25, 542-0827

Places I need to find: Molly's Tamale House 410 Indiana (if it's still open), Taco Stop 702 E 4th, Casa de Burritos 1729 S Prairie "Bean & Chicharron-the best", Tortilleria Delicias 926 S Santa Fe (looks hard to find, may be a gem), 296-8499

Liz’s Tamale House 1243 Eilers Ave, 583-1744
(Between: Northern & Mesa) (Near: Northern Ave E & Santa Fe Ave S)

Grand Prix Restaurant & Lounge 615 E Mesa Avenue 542.9825
(Between: Mahren & Bohmen) (Near: Mahren Ave & Mesa Ave E)

Buena Ventura Mexican Import 545-8228 1200 East Evans Avenue,
(Between: Arroyo & Mesa) (Near: Evans Ave E & Mesa Ave W)

El Nopal Restaurant 1435 E Evans Avenue, Phone: 719.564.9784 (Between: Division & Central)
(Near: Division Ave & Routt Ave E)

El Valle Restaurant Phone: (719) 564-9983
Address:208 West Northern Avenue, Pueblo, CO 81004

(Between: Abriendo & Elm) (Near: Evans Ave E & Northern Ave W)

And finally, The Redwood Inn.

Oh, just goofin'.

Last edited by McGowdog; 08-27-2008 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: add pics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 10:01 AM

Well I finally checked out Grand Prix last night. The wife is still sick and I've been ordering take-out way too much lately. It's been chicken soup and jello for her.

Another Pueblo Colorado Gem!

This place has the best chicken tacos on white I've ever had. The prices are among the best in town. They have this Mexican style potato called "Papas (??)" that looks so good and I'll try it soon. The green chile has generous portions of pork and is slightly thinner than some of those stew type green chile that you'll find in these parts. I guess they hold the recent awards on green chile and perhaps red chili... perhaps taking that distinction away from Romero's.

This place is east on Mesa over the I-25 bridge and further east of Santa Fe by Bohmen on the north side of the street. It's the quaintest little neighborhood and looks like a place that's rarely crowded. It's a real cool neighborhood looking place.

Great looking place and very friendly family-owned looking establishment.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:17 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,719,487 times
oh yum, thanks for all that info!!

Old 09-06-2008, 08:46 AM

21 posts, read 94,122 times
Lightbulb Out of all the places....

I arrived in Pueblo on 8/27 so my first day out an about in Pueblo was the 28th. My BF's co-workers wife was nice enough to drive me around town and show me places that I needed to find. Grocery stores, post office and she asked me to go to lunch. We went to this little place in a little strip mall like thing. I didn't even notice the name of the place when we went in (too hungry to care). My new friend raved about the tostada with pork I think, but I was ready to eat my arm off so I order Carne' Asada. Hard to make but worth it if done right. It was done right and very good. When we left, I noticed the name but it wasn't until I got home and started reading this thread of Mcgowdog's that it hit me, that I had eaten at the Dog's #1 place. Mi Ranchito’s #2. What are the odds?

I must admit, Mexican food isn't my first choice for cuisine. I get the hankerin for it once a month or so and am glad that there are so many places to choose from. Being from Kansas City, BBQ is what I eat and know. I'm not real big on heat, so I'm a little nervous about the Pueblo Chile. Endorphins are already perty abundant in my head. I am interested in the "Green" as I love pork and the taste of chilies if not too spicy. Where can I get a good "mild" version of the "Green Chili w/pork that a spoon il stand up in"?

Old 09-06-2008, 11:04 AM

I agree there should be less spicy green and stuff that some people can eat it.

I'd try Rita's for the green sometime. I'm so new to the place that I don't know what else you'd like there. You kind of have to try different places for different stuff.

When you get a taste for Italian, check out my new Pueblo Colorado Italian Food thread.

I'm at the in-laws this weekend tryin' to fix the boat for fishin'. If we don't get it, we got some fried chicken cookin' for later!

We gotta try Crematia's place! I love bbq food, pork and beef ribs, brisket, baby back ribs, YUM! I just don't know if you'll find a place like a KC Chiefs Tailgate Party. That's the best in the world from what I hear.

That'll be our next focus. The wife is allergic to mollassass,(sp??) to too bad so sad for her.

Add: Texas Roadhouse, I know it's franchise and all but you might try them. They do have a pretty mean steak.

That's it. Our next food thread will be Food that Sticks to Your Ribs Food.

Add: So this is off topic, but you ever hear the only two times you're happy with your boat? The day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Last edited by McGowdog; 09-06-2008 at 11:42 AM..

Old 09-06-2008, 11:53 AM

You got it Dog! Nothin like a KC strip with some KC BBQ to wash er down. We can start a BBQ thread and cheer for the Chiefs or Chefs as you call em. J/K LOLOLOL
Get the pontoon fixed fella. The fishies are waiting......

Come to think of it I did see "Dad's BBQ" on Prairie while I was there. The reviews on Dex says it's good. Will check Dad out when I get back and thanks again for all the info you supply to us newby Puebloians.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:50 PM

Wiley near our favorite Fishin' Hole up a few miles and south of Eads;

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/mcgowdog/Wiley/0906080827.jpg (broken link)

Just incase we don't catch enough fish:
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/mcgowdog/Wiley/0906081115.jpg (broken link)

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/mcgowdog/Wiley/0906081602-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-07-2008, 06:34 AM

Talking Big Ol Fish!

You got the boat fixed! And the chicken looks good too. Is that a wardrobe malfunction in pic 5?

Old 09-07-2008, 06:49 AM

No, that's just the top of a hat. Unless you meant pic 6. Just a bull's junk.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:06 AM

117 posts, read 531,673 times
Default Hotel/motel recommendations

thanks for all the research -needs to be put on tripadvisor - there is very little about Pueblo hotels or food!

Can I ask for recommendations for hotels - looks like the Wingate and La Quinta fit our budget - both look like they are in reasonable areas. Is that correct?

Any B&B's that can accommodate a family?
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado