Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2015, 08:08 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times

Advertisements

I too am still curious what "exclusive retail" is coming. Been waiting what feels like forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 10:26 AM

306 posts, read 393,292 times
I would appreciate an Apple Store, H&M, And REI just to name a few. I feel like all would appeal to young professionals. I'm interested to know more about restaurants as well.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:37 AM

I dont understand why people keeping saying Columbia's retail lags behind Charlestons. Other Costco, H&M, and Apple Store, theres a wall of stores and reataurants I could name that Columbia has and Charleston doesnt, or Columbia got first.

Charleston suffers the same problem. Because of the geography, theres many trade areas and theyre spread out. Grenville doesnt have this problem, so I understand that, but Charleston really isnt that far ahead of Columbia, if at all. Theres no where in Charleston thats as stacked as Harbison, and theres no current Killian's like plans.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:28 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I dont understand why people keeping saying Columbia's retail lags behind Charlestons. Other Costco, H&M, and Apple Store, theres a wall of stores and reataurants I could name that Columbia has and Charleston doesnt, or Columbia got first.

Charleston suffers the same problem. Because of the geography, theres many trade areas and theyre spread out. Grenville doesnt have this problem, so I understand that, but Charleston really isnt that far ahead of Columbia, if at all. Theres no where in Charleston thats as stacked as Harbison, and theres no current Killian's like plans.
Charleston also got Whole Foods and Trader Joe's first I believe. Columbia has more recently started closing the retail gap, but historically it seems that Charleston has been ahead of it.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:01 PM

306 posts, read 393,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post

Agreed, I wasn't trying to compare Columbia to the other cities. I would like to have those stores and patronize them if they located here. There are plenty of retail offerings that Columbia has that were here well before other cities in SC. For example, Greenville is just now opening a Michael Kors store at Heywood. The one at Columbiana has been open for more than a year. Columbia is doing fine all by itself.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Charleston also got Whole Foods and Trader Joe's first I believe. Columbia has more recently started closing the retail gap, but historically it seems that Charleston has been ahead of it.
Well if we're talking healthier grocers: Fresh Market. Columbia has 1, soon 2 Fresh Markets. Greenville has 2. Even Spartanburg, Aiken, and Pawleys Island have one. So does Savannah and Wilmington. None for Chas. Not even Mt P.

Greenville, Chas, and Cola got Traders in 2010, 2011, and 2012 respectively. Not that bad a gap.

I think Cola and Chas are about even. If anyone has a slight edge its Cola. Charleston just has more higher-end stores. There's nothing as stacked as Harbison. And Harbison is about to get even more stacked with Red Robin #2 and a Dave and Busters.

I think Myrtle Beach can be thrown in as well. Their retail abundance is straight up ridiculous. Gives both Columbia and Chas a run for the money.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:06 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,945,933 times
The only thing Charleston has over Columbia is King Street, which is mostly fueled by tourism, not the local market. Places like Northwoods, Mt P Town Center, are the ones serving the local market, and to your point, does not hold much of a candle to Columbiana.

Youre right though, there are many things Columbia will get before either Chas or GVL. There are also a lot of stores/restaurants that Columbia and Charleston have that Greenville doesn't, or Columbia and Greenville have that Charleston doesn't.

I will say though that because of tourism in Charleston on King St, and Greenville's trade area not being as divided as Columbia's, it does sometime feel like Columbia will miss out on stuff at first, but then Columbia will be the first to have two locations if that is the case.

Overall though, I would say all three markets are fairly equal on that front.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:57 AM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
Hmm. It didn't take Hughes long to convert Duvall.

As Ballpark Progresses, Much of Bull Street Site Remains Undeveloped - Free-Times.com

Old 12-09-2015, 10:30 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
Hopefully there will be some more announcements soon.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:31 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,336,745 times
@Waccamatt, I think there will be a lot of wait and see though. Meaning look at this through the perspective of a potential retailer. You are going to want to know that the baseball team is drawing large (relatively speaking, only seats, what is it again re capacity 6000 or 7000?) crowds before you make the decision of whether it would be prudent to open up shop there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area