Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 10:18 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times

Advertisements

OhioHealth could open Gateway campus by January | ThisWeek Community News

An update on the Hilliard development at Cemetery Road and Britton Parkway. 450 apartments, a Giant Eagle, restaurants and a 35,000 sf medical center will be part of the 56-acre, $70 million development. Unfortunately, the majority of the site will actually be surface parking, so it will not be the dense, walkable development that is currently in demand.

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/...with-city.html

Grove City's new 48,000 sf library was given final financial approval. It will be built in the city's town center as part of their effort to increase density and revitalize the urban core there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 10:27 AM

Some Worthington news...

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/...-friendly.html

The city has adopted a plan to become more bike/pedestrian friendly. Details are not exactly known, but the city wants to construct more sidewalks, paths and bike lanes throughout the area.

Also...
Worthington will hire consultant to design corridor features | ThisWeek Community News

The Wilson Bridge Road Corridor plan that was adopted a few years ago to redevelop and densify the area is ongoing. The new multi-story apartment buildings and the redevelopment of adjacent Worthington Mall were part of the plan. Now, they're looking at design consultants to help with landscaping, signs and other improvements.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:45 AM

New Gateway Concepts Shared for Town and Rich Streets in Franklinton

A pair of gateways look to be created on Town and Rich Streets into Franklinton.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:20 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,429,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Northstar Realty clearing site at Olentangy and Third for Grace?s Bend retail center - Columbus - Business First

A few buildings are set to be demolished to make way for a 20K square foot retail center at Olentangy RR and W. Third.
Glad to see how much the City of Columbus cares for its neighborhoods by letting a strip-mall be dumped onto what should be a re-urbanized gateway for W 3rd Ave: another opportunity lost. As a gateway it also speaks volumes about what kind of development you can expect on this side of the river. You accuse me of not caring about Columbus neighborhoods, but what do you call this? Especially in light of the suburb of Dublin's recent plan which is to urbanize a gateway development across the river, Columbus is somehow the one allowing low-quality suburban crap while a suburb is setting the standards so that urban mixed-use buildings will welcome visitors. Something sounds off about that, and in any case you and me would both prefer the Dublin vision for urban development to happen at 3rd and Olentangy instead of Columbus'. And once passersby go past this dump they get to see the prison fortress apartments just up the street:more proof of how much the City of Columbus cares about providing a (low) quality urban environment to most of its residents. But this is clearly just a personal beef with the city since every square mile of Columbus is great and the city can do no wrong!

Old 05-25-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
New Gateway Concepts Shared for Town and Rich Streets in Franklinton

A pair of gateways look to be created on Town and Rich Streets into Franklinton.
Looks good, but with the first one I share concerns about safety here: unlike the rendering you'll probably see one person at a time walking through here and plenty of places for an attacker to hide. Not many eyes on this stretch of the street at all.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Glad to see how much the City of Columbus cares for its neighborhoods by letting a strip-mall be dumped onto what should be a re-urbanized gateway for W 3rd Ave: another opportunity lost. As a gateway it also speaks volumes about what kind of development you can expect on this side of the river. You accuse me of not caring about Columbus neighborhoods, but what do you call this? Especially in light of the suburb of Dublin's recent plan which is to urbanize a gateway development across the river, Columbus is somehow the one allowing low-quality suburban crap while a suburb is setting the standards so that urban mixed-use buildings will welcome visitors. Something sounds off about that, and in any case you and me would both prefer the Dublin vision for urban development to happen at 3rd and Olentangy instead of Columbus'. And once passersby go past this dump they get to see the prison fortress apartments just up the street:more proof of how much the City of Columbus cares about providing a (low) quality urban environment to most of its residents. But this is clearly just a personal beef with the city since every square mile of Columbus is great and the city can do no wrong!
As always, a ray of dishonest sunshine.

Strip centers never get built in Minneapolis, I bet. In fact, if I went on Google right now and looked, I wouldn't find a single one, at least not one built in the last 2 or 3 decades. Right, Keith? Right.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:16 PM

Car2Go Looking to Bring New Car Sharing Service to Columbus

More details on the car-sharing service that may be coming to Columbus. It's only currently available in 7 other US cities.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
As always, a ray of dishonest sunshine.

Strip centers never get built in Minneapolis, I bet. In fact, if I went on Google right now and looked, I wouldn't find a single one, at least not one built in the last 2 or 3 decades. Right, Keith? Right.
Actually, The Quarry was the last big box strip-mall built back in 99 up in NE and the newest strip-mall Calhoun Village which was several built years ago over in Cedar-Isles-Dean is going to be urbanized for the SW/Green LRT corridor West Lake St station, so yeah it's been around a decade or so since the last stripmall was built in Mpls, whereas in Cbus you guys still have stripmall developments that are still currently going up. In fact, that city hasn't gone even a year without sprawling development rearing it's ugly head over and over again. So glad we agree for once: Columbus dropped the ball once again and let developers have their cheap ugly developments instead of setting policies that are respectful of local residents while other progressive cities have prevented sprawl from even occurring.

Remember, W 3rd and Olentangy sees a lot of Olentangy Trail traffic: cyclists and joggers go by this site in large numbers, but instead of a welcoming urban environment with a nice corner patio to entice them to cross the street there'll be a suburban strip-mall with a parking lot that'll dissuade possible customers that are on bike or foot. Maybe someday Columbus will adopt meaningful standards for citywide development, but until then expect more of the same.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Actually, The Quarry was the last big box strip-mall built back in 99 up in NE and the newest strip-mall Calhoun Village which was several built years ago over in Cedar-Isles-Dean is going to be urbanized for the SW/Green LRT corridor West Lake St station, so yeah it's been around a decade or so since the last stripmall was built in Mpls, whereas in Cbus you guys still have stripmall developments that are still currently going up. In fact, that city hasn't gone even a year without sprawling development rearing it's ugly head over and over again. So glad we agree for once: Columbus dropped the ball once again and let developers have their cheap ugly developments instead of setting policies that are respectful of local residents while other progressive cities have prevented sprawl from even occurring.

Remember, W 3rd and Olentangy sees a lot of Olentangy Trail traffic: cyclists and joggers go by this site in large numbers, but instead of a welcoming urban environment with a nice corner patio to entice them to cross the street there'll be a suburban strip-mall with a parking lot that'll dissuade possible customers that are on bike or foot. Maybe someday Columbus will adopt meaningful standards for citywide development, but until then expect more of the same.
Minneapolis has more than 300 strip centers within it's much smaller borders. I didn't bother to verify your claim about when the last one was built within the city (I suspect it's BS much like the majority of your claims), but the built environment clearly proves that Minneapolis is no different from anywhere else, despite your fervent belief and desire to convince everyone that it is extraordinary. You also, as usual, ignore context. You point out the construction of a single strip center as indicative of some policy. Where is it policy in Columbus to specifically encourage strip center construction? This is a private landowner building what they believe will bring them the most return, not some city policy. You have no idea if this is representative of anything other than this single development. You have no idea if strip center construction is down, up or steady, though all indications are that it's way down. There are plenty of examples of much denser, urban development in the city right now, but you conveniently pass over that news to focus on what supports your asinine narrative. Maybe someday you will be intellectually honest... but I doubt it.

And seriously, is there really not a single suburban development in all of Minnesota that you can spend your energy on? Do I need to find some for you?

Old 05-28-2013, 06:48 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,916 times
As a longtime former resident of Minneapolis, I'll vouch for the accuracy of MplsSite's statement regarding strip centers in Mpls. The Quarry is the only large suburban style power center in the city. I'd like to know how you came up with the figure of 300 strip centers within the city limits. Probably within the greater metro area, but by my rough count, there's only about 15 - 20 strip centers within the city (and many of those are smaller than 20,000 sf).

Regarding the new center at Olentangy and 3rd: I bike by this site on my way to work and was very disappointed to see the demolition of the former bank building. That building provided a strong sense of historical character to that corner. That area has a lot of potential, given its proximity to OSU, Harrison, Grandview Yard, and Grandview Hts. I haven't seen the proposed plans for the new center, but it's too bad they couldn'thave included the bank structure within their plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus