Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 07:52 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDqTX View Post
German Village's demographics contain virtually no families with kids, and if so, they go private. I don't think people like to admit the fact that 90% or more of the inhabitants of the Short North, Harrison West, OTE, all grew up in suburbs, and you know where they are all starting to head back to? The suburbs. Alternative and charter schools are worse than CCS. I'm telling you, and it's not just Columbus, in four or five years it all hits the fan in many cities. Columbus isn't growing nearly as much as other cities in the South and Western U.S. to handle the flight, and it's going to be a lot of people that head to the suburbs. The generation of people that makes up 75-80% of those homes are people who waited a while to get married, and waited to have kids, but it's happening now.

Go to some cities in the South and see where they tried gentrifying too quickly and what happened. Not good results.
According to the census, almost 48% of the German Village's zip code households were made up of families. Of those families, 48% had children 18 or younger. Or about 2270 households. That's quite a bit, and not virtually none.

What are you basing the 90% figure on? Anything real or just your impression?

There are very good alternative schools, some ranked as high or higher than any private institutions. The Columbus Dispatch actually has a page with school rankings if you want to check it out.

There is pretty much zero support for the idea that within 5 years, urban centers are going to face large population declines from all these people packing up and heading to the suburbs. This isn't 1955 anymore when cities were in long-term decline.

Columbus is the 13th fastest-growing city in the nation, beating out quite a few cities in the South and West.

Getting married and having kids is not a guarantee of suburban relocation... certainly not on some massive scale. There will be people to replace those who do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 08:06 AM

61 posts, read 80,949 times
Those stats are not correct, otherwise Linden McKinley or South would have totally different demographics. This alternative school stats is hilarious, ask a teacher that knows better. Charter and Alternative schools are a joke.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:32 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,704 times
Quote:
Those stats are not correct, otherwise Linden McKinley or South would have totally different demographics. This alternative school stats is hilarious, ask a teacher that knows better. Charter and Alternative schools are a joke.
He is talking about alternative schools in the district of Columbus. Columbus has magnet schools that rank on par or higher than the suburbs, in the city limits. For high school you have Columbus Alternative High School (just one example.)

Also neighborhood schools, in Columbus city schools, on the nw side like centennial high school and Clinton elementary (in clintonville) recieve state report card grades on par or higher than the suburbs. Most of these are in the elementary level though.

Last, some of the neighborhood schools are seeing a resurgence as the new millennial parents decide to remain and fix their home school instead of move to the suburbs. Hubbard Mastery School K-8 is one example in the Victorian Village / Short North.

http://www.columbusunderground.com/f...-school-prek-6

As others have noted: Columbus is a city with a history of gentrification starting early in the 1960s with German Village. This is not 1950 anymore families aren't fleeing for the suburbs and white flight isn't a pandemic. People are working to make their central city neighborhoods a place to live on the cosmetic and structural level.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:31 PM

You guys are losing your mind.

Centennial almost shut down two or three years ago. Their athletics are horrible, why? It's a very poor school. Columbus Alternative is extremely small. I get it, there are a few very small exceptions (only magnet, that's it). However, if you are staying in the city and sending kids to school, the only ones that are accepted to be good include Bexley, UA, and Grandview, that's it, all of them are independently their own school districts. This whole concept of "it's not the 1950s" is beyond irrelevant. People moved to the suburbs because master planned communities were created in response to the baby boomers, there wasn't room in Columbus at the time, and additionally, the schools in Columbus were average to above average until the late 80s and 90s when everyone fled to Westerville, Worthington, Dublin, and eventually Powell. Why is Columbus public so desperate to hire? No teachers want to work there.

"White flight" is such a dated comment. Blacks, Asians, etc. live in suburbs as well, heck, I'd say many of the new students in Olentangy, Dublin, and Marysville schools at least 25% are NOT white. have a good school district with safe neighborhoods? People are moving there. I'm telling you, give it five years or less, Columbus is going to have a lot of "new nice apartment complexes" downtown that will be vacant.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:57 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,455 times
Sure, why not? This is going against the trend of the last 30 years, but why not?

Old 06-21-2015, 09:24 PM

424 posts, read 1,293,484 times
Actually lottery programs exist so you can get your kids into better public schools outside of these neighborhoods.

I agree that Franklinton will be something some day. But for now West of 315 saw 40+ police calls resulting in a report being filed YESTERDAY. This is the equivalent to how many calls existed on the same day for Olde Town East AND King Lincoln COMBINED. Same two areas over the last year, 6 murders Franklinton and 2 in the combined KL OTE.
For now it's just not safe enough for my family.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
If they're not correct, prove it. You're making the claims, so what is your source??

Charter and alternative schools are not necessarily the same thing.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
You guys are losing your mind.

Centennial almost shut down two or three years ago. Their athletics are horrible, why? It's a very poor school. Columbus Alternative is extremely small. I get it, there are a few very small exceptions (only magnet, that's it). However, if you are staying in the city and sending kids to school, the only ones that are accepted to be good include Bexley, UA, and Grandview, that's it, all of them are independently their own school districts. This whole concept of "it's not the 1950s" is beyond irrelevant. People moved to the suburbs because master planned communities were created in response to the baby boomers, there wasn't room in Columbus at the time, and additionally, the schools in Columbus were average to above average until the late 80s and 90s when everyone fled to Westerville, Worthington, Dublin, and eventually Powell. Why is Columbus public so desperate to hire? No teachers want to work there.

"White flight" is such a dated comment. Blacks, Asians, etc. live in suburbs as well, heck, I'd say many of the new students in Olentangy, Dublin, and Marysville schools at least 25% are NOT white. have a good school district with safe neighborhoods? People are moving there. I'm telling you, give it five years or less, Columbus is going to have a lot of "new nice apartment complexes" downtown that will be vacant.
People moved to the suburbs for a lot of reasons decades ago, including high crime and lack of infrastructure investment in the urban cores... but what may have been one of the biggest contributors of white flight was busing. Many small-minded people were terrified that their lily-white schools would have an influx of minorities, so they left. This happened largely between 1950 and the early-mid 1970s, not so much after. Columbus' urban populations began to stabilize as early as 1980 in some areas.

Most suburbs are still overwhelmingly white. Only a handful of suburbs have a 10% or greater population of non-white minorities.

This is for 2010, the % of White population for major suburbs in or just on the border of Franklin County. **Indicates a suburb with at least 1 minority population greater than 10%.

Grandview Heights: 93%
Worthington: 91.9%
Grove City: 91.2%
Canal Winchester: 91%
Upper Arlington: 91%
Pataskala: 88.9%
Bexley: 88.4%
Westerville: 87.3%
Hilliard: 87.2%
New Albany: 86.2%
Obetz: 84.9%
Gahanna: 80.7%**
Dublin: 79.3%**
Pickerington: 78.4%**
Reynoldsburg: 68.1%**
Whitehall: 55.8%**

So out of 16 major suburbs, only 5 have a minority population greater than 10%. Dublin's is the only one that is not AA, but rather Asian... specifically Asian Indian. Powell and Marysville, btw, are 87.5% and 89.5% white, respectively. Neither have a 10% single minority population. The closest is Powell, with 7.5% Asian. So nowhere near "25%".

Columbus city had a white population of 59.3% in 2010, and is probably getting very near to or already has become minority majority.

You have not supported whatsoever your reasoning that all this construction will be abandoned within 5 years. The city is adding 12,000 people a year, almost 50% of the entire metro's growth, and that is going up, not down. You would need to see a complete reversal of this demand for this to happen, and that's just fantasy.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:05 PM

I am going to tell you right now. Those numbers of minorities are FAR from the truth in not all, but some of those schools. I have been to plenty of those schools, in the past six to seven years.

Specifically, Westerville and Hilliard reporting that 87% is white is one of those most hilarious things I have ever seen. Hilliard and Westerville are closer to probably..55%. Reynoldsburg 68%...are these stats from the early 90s? If you genuinely believe these are true, I would LOVE to see some teachers from these districts chime in.

Anyways, these numbers are fantasy, or old, which is generally the way that most people in Columbus are.

I am laughing so hard at these numbers. Based on your beliefs, we should see Briggs High School winning a lacrosse championship by 2020.

I've worked in the area, taught in the area, and so many of the people trying to gentrify the area need a reality check.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:37 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,455 times
Quote:
I am going to tell you right now. Those numbers of minorities are FAR from the truth in not all, but some of those schools. I have been to plenty of those schools, in the past six to seven years.

Specifically, Westerville and Hilliard reporting that 87% is white is one of those most hilarious things I have ever seen. Hilliard and Westerville are closer to probably..55%. Reynoldsburg 68%...are these stats from the early 90s? If you genuinely believe these are true, I would LOVE to see some teachers from these districts chime in.

Anyways, these numbers are fantasy, or old, which is generally the way that most people in Columbus are.

I am laughing so hard at these numbers. Based on your beliefs, we should see Briggs High School winning a lacrosse championship by 2020.

I've worked in the area, taught in the area, and so many of the people trying to gentrify the area need a reality check.
You should lodge a complaint to the US Census Bureau over how wrong their numbers are. Or better yet, run your own parallel census. Hilliard is only 30k people - shouldn't take too long to canvass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus