Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2023, 02:36 PM

509 posts, read 781,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
By the very nature of a data center, you raise some intersting question that I hadnt considered. The article doesnt say much so I guess time will tell...but yeah...jobs needed to run a data center are wayyyy less than say a manufacturing facility that actually produces something of value.
Thanks, I'm just wondering what kind of impact it will have on the area. Will there be many new workers, leading to a noticeable demand for housing, and increased economic activity like restaurants and stuff? Or just a handful of workers, so not much impact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2023, 03:03 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin183 View Post
Thanks, I'm just wondering what kind of impact it will have on the area. Will there be many new workers, leading to a noticeable demand for housing, and increased economic activity like restaurants and stuff? Or just a handful of workers, so not much impact?
I hope so. Im thinking given the acreage and size of the facility that it should generate some development interest. But, like you mentioned, if it doesn't actually employ that many people in context of C-bus then it may not have much going on in the surrounding area.

Old 06-23-2023, 06:05 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/jfep.gif

Old 06-24-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin183 View Post

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-new...icking-county/

Quote:
Licking County Commission President Tim Bubb said the theory is Microsoft will build a data center, although he added that the tech giant “(hasn’t) said much” about plans for the future of the property.

“We’ll believe it when we see it,” Bubb said. “They could do anything with it, but they own the land.”

Microsoft declined to comment on its plans for the recent purchase. In an email, a spokesperson wrote the corporation doesn’t “have anything definitive to share at this time” but added it is committed to its cloud-based software.
Perhaps this is just Bill Gates buying up more farmland.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...risis-farmland

Old 06-24-2023, 12:38 PM

20,099 posts, read 9,006,146 times
With the deals they're willing to cut (30-year, 100% tax abatement) I'd expect much more high tech opportunities. They've extended tax abatements from the common 15 years to 30 years for these companies. 30 years is a long time, they may decide to look for greener pastures when they expire.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/...el/7700919001/

Old 06-24-2023, 01:29 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,144,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I hope so. Im thinking given the acreage and size of the facility that it should generate some development interest. But, like you mentioned, if it doesn't actually employ that many people in context of C-bus then it may not have much going on in the surrounding area.
It will employ a few hundred people despite the huge acreage, but these are premium jobs in the $100,000 and above range. Very desirable jobs. And taking in total, I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't a couple thousand jobs between Amazon, Google, Facebook and now Microsoft. Let's say 1500 jobs at $100,000 a piece. That's a pretty damn good score economically speaking.

Old 06-24-2023, 01:31 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,144,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
With the deals they're willing to cut (30-year, 100% tax abatement) I'd expect much more high tech opportunities. They've extended tax abatements from the common 15 years to 30 years for these companies. 30 years is a long time, they may decide to look for greener pastures when they expire.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/...el/7700919001/
Tax cuts are nothing of the sort. It's more like a tax freeze, freezing taxes at what is currently paid. Any new property taxes generated by the new development is what is being abated.

The city benefits by the income taxes that are generated from the employees working there. Sometimes part of those go back into the incentive package, part of them don't. Nevertheless, New Albany getting their two and a half percent income tax on $100,000 worth of income also benefits them even if they have to pay back half of it into the incentive pool.

I guess New Albany is sharing part of that with Columbus. Protection money so that Columbus doesn't spread out to that area.

Old 06-24-2023, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
That's a pretty damn good score economically speaking.
Oh, no doubt. I know we talk some mild smack about each other cities, but thats in fun and nothing personal. Im glad to see the growth and development.

Old 06-24-2023, 07:36 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
For the record, this is the general area where all these tech companies are buying up land: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1078...8192?entry=ttu
Time to buy property in Johnstown, OH?

Old 06-25-2023, 11:30 PM

509 posts, read 781,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Time to buy property in Johnstown, OH?
You're looking at $100-200k+ per acre. I think you missed the boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus